Talk

Advanced search

Diet and preparation for FET

(8 Posts)
user1471478601 Mon 21-Jan-19 11:20:19

Do you think that lifestyle and diet makes a big difference for a FET?

I am 39 years old and had a fresh round of IVF in October, which sadly ended in an early miscarriage at 8 weeks. It was a horribly long miscarriage, and I finished bleeding at the beginning of December. Luckly my period returned 4 weeks later.

I am now planning my next FET, and trying to decide whether to go for a transfer at the beginning of March or April.

After my miscarriage I was obviously very down, and that combined with Christmas meant that I had a couple of months of not eating very healthily and drinking alcohol at least 3 nights a week. I stopped all alcohol after a NYE blow-out and have been eating much healthier since then.

So my question is whether you think that 2 months of no booze and good eating is long enough to prepare my body? Or should I wait an extra month? Or does it not really matter?? Part of me thinks that it only makes a minimal difference, if any at all. At the end of the day if there is something wrong with the embryos it won’t work anyway right?

TheArtfulScreamer Mon 21-Jan-19 12:20:37

You'll be fine to go ahead, the drive for healthy eating is usually about egg quality, with a FET you've already got the egg you just need to prepare a good lining which as we shed it every month you don't need to think to much about it until the start of your cycle. I've heard pomegranate juice can contribute to a healthy lining, good luck with your FET.

user1471478601 Mon 21-Jan-19 13:00:02

Thankyou @TheArtfulScreamer. I hadn’t thought of it that way, makes sense. I will look into the pomegranate juice. Thanks again!

AniSL Mon 21-Jan-19 16:31:03

Hi

Not as stringent as preparing for egg retrieval but FET needs lining to be tip top so usual recommendations such as no smoking and no alcohol are a must. Also try to stay away from stuff that give off harmful fumes such as hair colour and cleaning products. Main thing though is water and drinking plenty of it. Iron is a must and preparing the lining and removing as many toxins and excess hormones is also beneficial.

windy2909 Mon 21-Jan-19 22:47:49

I’m going to be honest and speak from my own experience and say that I really don’t think it makes a difference. I know many people want to give it their all and are prepared to try anything and I can understand that - it’s good to be able to look back and think I’ve given it my all. I found the whole experience so emotionally taxing that whilst not being completely unhealthy, I never deprived myself of the things that I enjoyed. I did cut out alcohol during stims and after transfer but other than that continued to enjoy wine at weekends and when I was stressed out or fed up. I’m sure some people would disagree with me but my first transfer was successful and I’m expecting my miracle baby in the summer. Best of luck to you, however you decide to go about it!

user1471478601 Tue 22-Jan-19 14:55:23

Thankyou all for your comments. It has made me think I will go ahead with the transfer in March. And keep going with the no booze (sob!) and healthy eating until then 👍🏽

AniSL Tue 22-Jan-19 17:33:29

My friend who is an embryologist put it like this, lets say your IVF journey was like running a marathon, you do everything you can to remain in pole position and give it your all, would you then stop before the finish line and just saunter through not caring about your pole position any more?
I have seen so money people obsessed with getting ready for egg collection by starting the healthy living and supplements 3 months earlier but are very complacent in their thinking that it onlt matters at for egg collection. Remember your embies will be planting and burying themselves into that lining and developing its cells and placenta cells and attaching to a blood supply from that lining too.

AniSL Tue 22-Jan-19 17:38:45

I do agree with Windy though that we tend to buy into the whole we must do this and that because it affects success and quality etc but how many overweight/drinkers/substance misusers/don't eat healthy/over 35s get pregnant everyday, how many people in third world countries who dont have enough food/water or medicine get pregnant. Then how many woman who are pregnant who dont know they are, stay pregnant. Too many variablea to have any clear explanations. Its a patriachal society who put the bulk of the onus on the woman.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »