Talk

Advanced search

Advise for changing IVF clinic

(6 Posts)
lli07 Sun 16-Dec-18 10:33:37

Hello everyone,

I'd really appreciate if you can give me some advice of changing IVF clinic for the second round.

I had the first IVF with BFN result a week ago. I am thinking to start a refresh new round after new year (I haven't got any embryo left from the first round). For my experience with the first clinic, I wouldn't say it was awful, but it wasn't what I would expect. I only saw the doctor at the first initial visit. All the other follow up visit, I only saw nurses and sonographers. I didn't get very detailed the results. They only said if there was any issues they would call me.

Once I requested the doctor to call me back. He did, unexpectedly it was 7pm...I was quite surprised. However what disappointed was I would think he should have reviewed my case before talk to me. However it was just like a Q&A session, and I had to repeat my case from the beginning. I didn't see myself respond the stimm med very well, as the follicles grew very slow. On the day 11 of stimm, the majority of follicles were just around 13mm. I was hoping they could adjust my med while they saw the growth was slow.

Anyway my big issue with them is so impersonal. I felt I am on the production line. Recently I've got a recommendation of a fertility doctor from a GP who I've known for a while. The recommended fertility doctor seem to be quite well known after searching his name on google, but he is in a new clinic (I think it's opened just a couple of years ago). There aren't many data linked to that clinic.

I am wondering if I shall change the clinic for the second round? My DH is worried if we change the clinic, everything may have to start from the scratch and it could be time consuming and costy. If we do decide to go with the recommendation doctor, can we get all the test results from the first clinic. I don't see they have very formal results for each scan and blood test. I only got to know my results when I asked nurse.

Many thanks in advance!

Twickerhun Sun 16-Dec-18 10:36:17

I don’t have a lot of advice but I’d be trying to get a full copy of all your records from the clinic you did use and taking them to the clinic you want to use for a review. Hopefully you’d have enough info from clinic one to give to clinic two so they could learn? I’m sure you have a right to have all your records?

lli07 Sun 16-Dec-18 10:56:42

@Twickerhun, thank you! I am having the final review with the doctor in the first clinic next week. I will try to ask if I can have all the results and any detailed analysis.

Twickerhun Sun 16-Dec-18 11:01:46

I’d ask for all your records - everything. Worth a try smile
Hope it works out well for you.

Persipan Sun 16-Dec-18 19:40:43

It's totally up to you, but I'd bear in mind that a) most clinics feel quite impersonal and b) the first round is often effectively diagnostic, and the clinic learns a lot from it. So, alongside looking at other clinics of also be asking your current clinic how/if they would propose changing your protocol for future cycles.

mommybear1 Sun 16-Dec-18 21:16:14

Hi as others have said get your notes and take a couple of copies keep one and take one to your new clinic ideally before you attend the first consultation so the dr is familiar with your history. I changed clinics after 2 failed ivfs and looked at at the clinic with the best stats for my age group. At my consultation the new clinic did not recommend re running tests etc. Feel free to dm me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »