Talk

Advanced search

Home fertility tests

(8 Posts)
Soph1954 Sun 09-Dec-18 20:00:50

Hello, me and my partner brought a superdrug male and female fertility test, mine was fine but his has come back negative twice ( negative means sperm count is under 15 million) we are 24 years old and have been ttc for nearly a year, should we be worried?
Thank you x

Cherries101 Mon 10-Dec-18 10:49:53

At your age you will be told to ttc for 2 years before being investigated for infertility. Keep going. Sperm count can be affected by anything from too much sex / wanking, to not enough vitamins. Get him to take Wellman and if the next is low again in 3-6 months contact your GP.

physicskate Mon 10-Dec-18 11:15:13

And those tests are often inaccuarate and do not test morphology or motility. Waste of money.

Justwaitingforaline Mon 10-Dec-18 12:30:44

Not necessarily true that you will be told to be trying for two years. DH and I were 24 and 25 when we visited the GP after trying for a year. We’re due to start ICSI next month for Male factor infertility after a total of 1.5 years trying. It’s only taken the 1.5 years from first visiting the GP due to us having to self fund for treatment.

Lauren83 Mon 10-Dec-18 13:28:55

It might be worth getting a private SA done or requesting one via the GP just to check it properly, all CCGs differ and some may want you to try 1 year and some 2 however if any cause for infertility is known you can often access treatment after less time in some cases 6 months. Home tests aren't reliable

Soph1954 Mon 10-Dec-18 14:00:54

Thank you for all your help and reassurance!
We have just started using tesco pre conception vitamins for male and female!
Thank you again x

hoping2018 Mon 10-Dec-18 14:31:58

GP will organise tests after a year - go get a proper test done! If all ok you might be asked to keep trying but if sorry count is low they should refer on

seven201 Mon 10-Dec-18 16:22:26

I'd go see the gp and tell them about the sleek test results. Maybe change the 'nearly' a year to 'just over' wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »