Does anyone know what % of women have a live birth from IVF?

(23 Posts)
AliceScarlett Fri 16-Nov-18 18:34:21

I don't mean one cycle. Just generally. Of everyone who starts IVF how many end up with a baby?

OP’s posts: |
1Wanda1 Fri 16-Nov-18 20:28:14

Not sure there is a generic figure, but you can find out the stats for your clinic by looking on the HFEA website.

Remember not all IVF patients have the same circumstances. I am pregnant after IVF but only did IVF because I'm in a same sex marriage. There is nothing "wrong" fertility-wise. It took us 2 fresh cycles and 3 transfers.

Trinpy Fri 16-Nov-18 20:39:23

It varies depending on age too as obviously the average 25 year old is more likely to get and stay pregnant than the average 43 year old so make sure you're checking the average for your age bracket.

As well as hfea website , if there's a particular clinic that you're interested in you can call them or email them and ask for their latest stats.

Switcherpoo Fri 16-Nov-18 20:53:49

I was told 20% for those under 40. But your chances of having a live birth raise to 80% once you hear a heartbeat.

eurochick Fri 16-Nov-18 21:01:01

The 20% stat is per cycle I think. I'm not sure I've ever seen the overall success percentage.

I'm in a WhatsApp group (derived from the MN fertility boards) of "hard cases". A couple of folks fell away - because they didn't have the will or funds to continue - but the rest of us (around 15) all got our babies. I think the highest number of fresh rounds was six. I think it's fair to say we are all bruised by our experiences, but we came out the other side.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 16-Nov-18 21:17:47

AGRee look at hfea results for preg. Then live births for your age group

Took 10yrs ttc and 5 cycles for me to get one BFP

SHe is now 19mths

Tho know many woman who got pregnant 123 cycles but had mc

Lauren83 Sat 17-Nov-18 04:45:07

I don't think you will get a figure for overall, they are collated by 'cycle started' or by 'embryo transfer' a lot may stop treatment due to emotional or financial reasons before having success so I don't think it would be a useful way to report success


AliceScarlett Sat 17-Nov-18 08:19:32

Thank you for your replies. I guess I'm looking for some certainty in an uncertain world. Chances are it will cost thousands of pounds and I'll have a couple of miscarriages before either giving up bruised and poor, or not. Hopefully not.

OP’s posts: |
Lauren83 Sat 17-Nov-18 09:12:18

I work in a clinic and you honestly get such a mix, for some even with low chance of success it works first time and then for others it can take a lot longer, it's a small amount of patients who leave without a baby in my opinion but it depends how much you can afford and also if you are open to other things such as donor eggs for eg if they ended up being suggested. My son is from my 5th IVF cycle and I only know a small amount of people who it's taken 5 cycles to have success

SteamedBadger35 Sat 17-Nov-18 14:22:01

This is a calculator that tells you your own changes of IVF success based on your age and other characteristics, and how many cycles you'd need to have a x% chance of it working.

It's based on the outcome of treatment cycles in the UK using HFEA data. There is a 'pre' and a 'post' calculator so you can check your chances before you start, and after you have eggs collected, based on the number.

SteamedBadger35 Sat 17-Nov-18 14:24:29

*chances not changes

AliceScarlett Sat 17-Nov-18 19:09:06

43.44% Not too hideous.

@Lauren83 Your post was incredibly comforting. Thank you.x

OP’s posts: |
physicskate Sat 17-Nov-18 20:08:16

Wow that's an incredible percentage @AliceScarlett!!! Mine was 30.3% which is considered quite high! My first cycle worked (very very fortunate to be 24 weeks).

AliceScarlett Sat 17-Nov-18 20:13:12

@physicskate that's amazing! Congratulations. Were you on the TTC#1 thread a year or so ago? I remember your username.

The clinic I'm going too has one of the highest rates in the country apparently, I wonder how that impacts on %.

OP’s posts: |
FingersXssd83 Sat 17-Nov-18 20:50:08

The Aberdeen calculator is very comforting, I check it weekly for reassurance! I've also found some American calculators and all show high percentages. So long as you're committed to pursue IVF as a multiple treatments then you're far more likely than not to take home a baby. Good luck! X

physicskate Sat 17-Nov-18 22:37:44

@AliceScarlett possibly. I've stalked these boards long enough...

Surely highest rates = highest percentages? Stats is quite a complicated area. Clinics with high percentages often only take the most straightforward cases.

Good luck!!!

MuchTooTired Sat 17-Nov-18 22:44:19

I was told a 30-35% chance if you’re under 35 within 3 rounds.

The calculator is really positive, thank you 😊

AliceScarlett Sun 18-Nov-18 10:29:04

Found another calculator that is totally different sad

OP’s posts: |
Wholovesorangesoda Fri 23-Nov-18 09:48:50

Mine is 43.6% on the aberdeen calculator and about 30% on the second one too. I have read a few times that for most people under 35 the chance of having a baby after 3 cycles is 80%. I'm not sure how accurate it is. It's so variable, I lurk around forums a lot and many people get success first time. Many second, many third and quite a few who need more cycles still. The uncertainty of it all is very hard to deal with, I hate the idea of spending thousands and thousands of pounds yet still having nothing to show for it. We are hoping to do a refund cycle with access so if it does all go wrong we get some money back at least

struggleisreal Fri 23-Nov-18 12:05:41

My clinic said to me that about 87% have a baby after 3 rounds - I am not sure how accurate this was as it was a doctor I didn't really like, but it is giving me hope as I go into my fourth transfer (from my second fresh round)

eurochick you have totally given me faith that we should carry on going as well xx

AliceScarlett Fri 23-Nov-18 12:22:44

I get one free on the NHS. DH and I have decided to get insurance for 3 more and if it doesn't work then use the money we get back to travel. I think 3 per NICE guidance plus one for luck is wise. I worry about endlessly carrying on in a horrible cycle of debt and suffering.

OP’s posts: |
Wholovesorangesoda Fri 23-Nov-18 13:11:25

Struggle hopefully it is a real statistic, as we have heard similar. I wish you lots of luck for your transfer
Alice that's a good plan I think. I'm very wary of having 3 then thinking "well surely next time it will work!" And ending up in almost a gambling addiction type situation. We've said 3 definitely and potentially a 4th depending how we feel after those 3 rounds. Hopefully we are successful before then though 🤞

Wholovesorangesoda Fri 23-Nov-18 13:16:11

I also think for some sense of sanity there will come a time when I would need to draw a line. By the time we have finished 3 cycles I woukd estimate we have been under the infertility cloud for approx 5 years and I wouldn't want to carry on feeling this way and chasing that dream with everything else in life on hold for any longer. So I say now. I'm not certain that it would be so easy to let go when it comes to it however!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in