Talk

Advanced search

Plastics & Infertility

(4 Posts)
sproodlemummy Fri 26-Oct-18 16:43:30

I wanted to create this thread to see what other peoples opinions are on this subject.

So recently there was a report that said that particles of plastic have been found in peoples stomach's during autopsy's. The scientists think that these are getting into peoples systems through drinking from plastic bottles and eating fish. There is now so much plastic in the oceans that fish are ingesting it is being carried through to our food chain.

Have you ever wondered why there are so many people struggling with infertility nowadays? I know so many couples who have had struggles/treatment it is quite astonishing, and I don't think it can all be put down to women leaving it too late to start families, in fact I really do not believe that this issue is as big as the media makes it out to be.

I'm coming at this from personal experience. I started TTC at the age of 31 with my DH. We had gone through 4 rounds of IVF, each one of them as disastrous as each other. My egg quality was absolutely awful, Out of a good haul of eggs, only 1 or two would fertilise, in fact our consultant seriously tried to convince us to go down the egg donor route.

We did consider this but then decided to to give our own eggs one more try. I read the book It Starts with The Egg in the hope of improving things. What I read astonished me. The amount of chemicals in everyday plastic items scary, in particular a chemical called BPA. In lab tests BPA had been shown to drastically reduce egg quality, as soon as the BPA was taken away egg quality started to improve again.

So we embarked on a complete lifestyle change, threw away all of our old plastic and replaced with glass. We switched to natural only beauty products, with no BPA, Phalates etc. I also took 300mg of the pure form of Ubiquinol per day.

After 3-4 months of doing this we embarked on our final IVF. The difference in results was amazing. The drugs and dosage we used was exactly the same as what we'd had in previous rounds. This time I got 13 eggs, ALL 13 eggs fertilised - absolute miracle for me. Out of those 13 eggs 7 went on to be come day 5 blastocysts. We'd never before got anywhere near a blastocyst.

I'm now 12 weeks pregnant with twins with 5 blasts frozen.

Ok I've not got absolute proof that cutting out the amount of plastics we use/consume was the reason we got such good results, but I'm totally convinced of it.

We are only just beginning to explore the effects of plastics on us and the planet. I personally would like the fertility clinics to make couples who have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility aware of the dangers of plastic. I'm forever thankful to my clinic for getting us this far, but I do feel that as an industry they have a lot to answer to. We could have spent thousands more if we had gone with every single add on that the clinic suggested, or by getting our drugs from their "preferred supplier" rather than saving literally hundreds of pounds at a time by going to Asda which operates a not for profit on all IVF drugs.

If you've managed to get to the bottom of this I thank you for sticking with it. I'm certainly not here to suggest that this is a cure for every infertile couple out there, I just wanted to open up a debate on how you think that plastics may be effecting infertility in general and whether you think more information about this needs to be made aware to the public.

xx

Cherries101 Fri 26-Oct-18 20:00:17

In India and China, often the poorer families living near the huge rubbish dumps (full of plastic) have the most kids. So I’m sorry but that’s a load of bollocks. People with fertility issues like us are in the minority— most of the world’s population can get pregnant within 2 years of trying.

AniSL Sat 27-Oct-18 08:24:08

I don't think its just plastics, its everything about our lifestyles that contribute, pollution, stress, food and drink we consume, use of chemically enhanced cosmetics and shampoos and beauty products, perfumes etc. I agree with cherries, if you look at the slums in Mumbai, they have a high birth rate and live amongst stuff we in the west would write a story about how it would destroy their health. We put our bodies through a lot of toxic crap from the moment we are born.

PurpleDaisies Sat 27-Oct-18 08:42:24

Yet another way to blame the barrens for their own predicament. There’s no proper evidence for this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »