Talk

Advanced search

Did your clinic put 2 embryos in 1 straw?

(4 Posts)
Beachbiscuit Wed 24-Oct-18 12:35:52

I’m just wondering if this is normal. I really wanted to transfer 1 at a time but now I found out that’s not really possible without thawing and refreezing it, which I have been told could damage it. I really don’t have a choice but to transfer 2. I’m still trying to process this? I feel a bit gutted.

CritterTamer Wed 24-Oct-18 14:35:38

OP are you upset because 2 were put back when you only wanted 1, or because both embryos were inserted together through the same straw? It’s perfectly normal for the two to be transferred together in 1 straw if two are being put back. If you only wanted 1 however (for example to minimise the risk of twins)you should have insisted upon 1 - no one can force you to have 2 put back although they might advise it based on your age/history, etc.

Freezing and thawing embryos these days is routine and the risk of damage to a good quality embryo is less than 5% - in fact pregnancy rates are slightly higher with FETs than with fresh cycles due to the better balance of hormones within the body.

Botanica Wed 24-Oct-18 14:47:44

I specifically asked for mine to be frozen in individual straws so I could decide whether I wanted one or both.

Freezing in pairs is the norm at my clinic so you need to ask if you want them individually.

I'm really sorry you're in a position where they haven't given you a choice.
What will you do? Take both, or refreeze the second?

Naty1 Wed 24-Oct-18 22:20:27

It may be because a % dont defrost well so to prevent you preparing for a fet and having no embryo.
We always transferred 2 as that was all we had, and they werent freezable. Also if i had a lot frozen i would want to do 2 at a time anyway as otherwise just using all the frozen ones would take several months. Though obviouslyblasts may have a very high chance of twins.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »