Talk

Advanced search

Been referred to fertility clinic

(8 Posts)
Toni8428 Sun 21-Oct-18 01:57:07

Hi, I’ve just received my first appointment for the fertility clinic. Just wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect? I was diagnosed with pcos last year. Had two scans done and several blood tests all confirmed I don’t ovulate but do have eggs?! My partner is female so we’ve been told we automatically get articfical insemination. If it doesn’t work then ivf. How long from consultation to first trying insemniation? Feel like we’ve been waiting forever.

Toni8428 Sun 21-Oct-18 01:57:52

Any advice, answers and help would be greatly appreciated.

Cherries101 Sun 21-Oct-18 02:12:40

I have pcos and am straight. My clinic went straight to icsi because I was told pcos eggs can be harder to fertilize. Suggest you shop around fertility clinics if you can to get different opinions.

aidelmaidel Sun 21-Oct-18 02:15:36

On your first visit they'll probably outline your options and talk through timelines with you. They're not going to whip out the turkey baster right away. grin At our clinic, we had first consult with doctor to decide on strategy, then another appointment with the nurse to do calendar planning, and then you go away and wait for your period to start and then begin counting days and taking injections and getting ultrasounds. Don't know how pcos alters that timeline though.

Toni8428 Sun 21-Oct-18 11:01:48

Thank you. I just have no idea what to expect. Any insight is better than nothing. I just don’t want to go in blind. I just don’t want to wait another year to get started after my first appointment.

Chunkymonkey123 Sun 21-Oct-18 11:04:01

I saw the fertility consultant in Nov and needed various treatments but after I was sorted it was about 3 weeks to starting iui which I guess it what you will be having. We got pregnant on our second round which we did back to back, so 8 weeks in total to being pregnant!

Chunkymonkey123 Sun 21-Oct-18 11:05:14

This was in Nottinghamshire. I have a friend with pcos at the same clinic and sand treatment and outcome for her.

Toni8428 Sun 21-Oct-18 11:22:33

Thank you so much. This has just made me feel much better about this. I’m in Scotland but hopefully the same routine. We started trying at home about 2 years ago, after 6 months of trying we went to the doctors and had months of tests and scans done to be told it was definitely pcos and I needed help. Been waiting on this first appointment ever since x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »