Talk

Advanced search

Sperm DNA fragmentation

(8 Posts)
ronswansonstache Tue 18-Sep-18 20:37:46

DP has recently had a sperm DNA fragmentation test done to help uncover the cause of our unexplained infertility.

Results didn't look good - outside of the parameters recommended for IVF & looks like fairly hit and miss for ISCI success.

Next steps is to see a urologist and look at supplements like Proxeed.

Has anyone else had a poor fragmentation test & gone on to have success?

JeNeBaguetteRien Wed 19-Sep-18 08:10:14

Hi Ron, haven't had success yet but still early days after DNA fragmentation test here. Consultant said to take Condensyl for 4 months to see if it improves. DH is seeing a urologist soon to check for varicocele or any other possible issues.

To anyone else I'd say get make partner checked before spending on IVF cycle, fertility clinics just don't seem to focus much on this and it's relatively inexpensive compared to the cost of a cycle.

JeNeBaguetteRien Wed 19-Sep-18 08:10:42

*male partner

kt27 Wed 19-Sep-18 11:17:10

Can I ask what the result was? My husband's result came back at 31% but we were told it was not a problem and that we should just disregard the results!?

ronswansonstache Wed 19-Sep-18 12:07:04

Hi Kt our results were around 31% too. According to a breakdown of the test on this website that's a 'fail' - fertile is 0-26%. We also had 8% with high damage - 4% and under is needed.

https://examenlab.com/the-test/your-results-explained/

I'd challenge that with your clinic!

ronswansonstache Wed 19-Sep-18 12:09:44

100% agree JeNe - feeling grateful we didn't go through the pain, heartache and cost of a failed cycle before finding this out. It's an expensive cost but negligible compared to IVF. Hopefully it's something that's fixable

kt27 Wed 19-Sep-18 22:14:11

Thanks so much. Just checked results and husband had 23% with very high damage and 42% with low damage. I am so confused as the clinic have always told me the results are insignificant and that the comet plot indicated there was no problem but if I read the link you sent me this seems to say the opposite!?

ronswansonstache Wed 19-Sep-18 22:54:20

Hi Kt, yes it does seem that your clinic's advice is at odds with the information about the test. Best check with them, or seek a second opinion before deciding on next steps as ISCI or IMSI might give you higher chances than IVF.

Sounds like lifestyle factors can play a big part as well as antioxidants/ supplements (e.g. Proxeed).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »