Talk

Advanced search

Embryos in the freezer

(9 Posts)
Tailfeather Sat 08-Sep-18 15:25:12

Hello! I am very lucky to have a gorgeous son from my rounds of IVF. We have some leftover frozen embryos and I always thought we would try again. But I just don't know if I can go through it all again, but I also can't bring myself to sign the papers to 'destroy' my embryos. They are potential life. My son's potential siblings. But we had to pay for our treatment and we're paying £500 a year for storing them.

What did/are you doing in this position? I would be so grateful for some opinions, advice and experience.

Thank you. X

Justme1981 Sat 08-Sep-18 15:31:38

Hi
Congratulations on your son
We also had ds from ivf & i felt the same as you, didnt want to go through ivf /pregnancy again & didnt want to destroy them. We decided to donate our embryos to another couple through the clinic. We dont know who they are etc & they have basic info about us ie age, hair colour, eye color. We do know they were successful & are expecting twins in january smile it might be worth talking to your clinic about this option?
Best wishes xx

Tailfeather Sat 08-Sep-18 15:34:40

Wow. That is truly amazing and generous of you. I'm not sure I could do the same. I would love to say I could but I think I would need to know them if they were part me, part my husband.

everyoneissomeone1 Sat 08-Sep-18 15:35:52

Slightly different circumstances for me but on similar lines... I used sperm from a sperm donor as my husband was infertile, we had 5 'lots' in storage, dd was conceived through iui. Then we had a letter a year after she was born to say to keep 'our name on them' we had to pay £1000 per year.. we too had to pay for treatment... so when she was 3 I had another cycle and conceived my ds. It was tricky I knew I wanted her to have a sibling for her with the same biological background...would I have waited a bit longer? I felt kind of under pressure as I was spending £1000 a year and had to pay for treatment so I went ahead... then after ds was born we released the last 3.
I'm very lucky it worked and I glad looking back that I went through the emotional rollercoaster again .. xx

Blondiecub0109 Sat 08-Sep-18 15:37:31

Do you have an option to donate them for training or medical research (rather than donor conception)?

Aprilshowersnowastorm Sat 08-Sep-18 15:40:01

A close friend donated hers to research.

Justme1981 Sat 08-Sep-18 15:48:37

Thanks it was definitely the right decision for us, although i appreciate its not for everyone- how old is your ds? Do you need to make a decision now or can you wait abit longer?

stressedtiredbuthappy Sat 08-Sep-18 15:48:57

I'm also in this position but wow you're all paying a fortune for storage, I pay £180 a year!

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 08-Sep-18 15:51:16

I donated to medical science

We are told 4 choices

Pay to carry on freezing
Donate to couple
Donate to medical science
Left to thaw and die naturally

Didn’t feel right having my egg and df sperm so a full sibling about somewhere

And by donating we are still helping couples

Ideally my Clinic would like to implant at 10days as will really see the diff cells by then

In time to come I think they will manage that

Used to be day 3. Mainly 5 now but I did have a 6

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »