Talk

Advanced search

initial fertility appointment

(5 Posts)
TtcIAm Tue 04-Sep-18 13:06:19

Got my appointment through for jan, however my gp has told me to lose weight before then ideally 5 stone ๐Ÿ˜”

i knew i was over weight, gp suspects pcos so i am having a pelvic scan and blood tests next week

what can i expect from the first appointment ?

physicskate Tue 04-Sep-18 13:46:05

They will likely advise you to lose weight to get below a bmi of 30. Most clinics have a dietician to help women with this.

Losing even 5% of body mass when slightly overweight can have a huge impact on fertility.

Might be an idea to join slimming world or another programme to give you some support.

Bunbunbunny Tue 04-Sep-18 13:48:13

Hi @TtcIAm

I'm very overweight as well but I'm also 36 so was finally referred for testing. We're likely to be going down the private route as my DH has a child from a previous relationship. My consultant has been fine, yes losing weight will be best for us in trying to get pregnant but the tests can be done whilst trying to get healthy. First appointment you'll be asked about your cycles, previous pregnancies, your sex life and other medical histories. It's likely you and your DH will be booked in for blood tests and scans. You'll discuss options on your second appointment about what steps you need to take. Don't focus on your weight and put more stress on yourself x you won't be the 1st overweight person & you won't be the last x

Bunbunbunny Tue 04-Sep-18 13:50:41

When I said don't focus on your weight I meant in your appointment, do try and eat healthily and exercise but not to extremes as it can screw up your cycles

physicskate Tue 04-Sep-18 13:53:33

But at the same time, weight has a huge impact on the likely success of using fertility drugs. It would be unwise to downplay that. Fat produces more oestrogen and this is a bit of an endocrine disrupter. Your endocrine system is responsible for your fertility...

Each clinic is different.

Some will say lose weight and when you show some progress they will test. Some will continue with testing regardless and then when you need ivf they will wait for you to lose weight then.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started ยป