Talk

Advanced search

Changing IVF Clinic when getting treatment on the NHS

(7 Posts)
CrCaLa Fri 31-Aug-18 12:03:11

Hi

We have been referred for IVF on the NHS. I'm under Trafford CCG and so only get one cycle on the NHS.

We have been automatically referred to St Mary's Hospital in Manchester but I'm not massively happy with that as I've had so many issues with them already as they've made a load of mistakes with my referral, so I've been looking in to seeing if I can change to another clinic. There are a couple of private clinics in my area that accept NHS patients.

I was wondering if anyone has changed from the place they were automatically referred to to a different clinic of their choosing? How did you do it? Was it difficult? And was it worth it?

I don't want to add a load of stress to myself by fighting to change clinics, but wondering if it might be worthwhile. Thanks.

physicskate Fri 31-Aug-18 12:26:44

I rang them up and asked. It was very straightforward.

I bypassed my gp who wouldn't offer any tests after 16 months ttc as I'd had two chemicals. I rang up the (nhs) clinic I wanted and they didn't bat an eyelid.

cannonball8726 Fri 31-Aug-18 12:59:29

Depends if the private clinics are covered by your CCG. Your CCG will have a list of the clinics covered by them online.

If the alternative clinics aren't covered your CCG, then it's near impossible to go there. It's possible for you to make an Individual Funding Request with your CCG but it will almost certainly be rejected unless you have exceptional circumstances requiring you to be treated at an alternative clinic.

cannonball8726 Fri 31-Aug-18 13:01:41

*If the alternative clinics aren't covered by your CCG, even...

CrCaLa Tue 04-Sep-18 21:43:13

Thanks for your replies. I contacted my CCG and they told me they couldn't give me any info, which seemed like a load of rubbish, and told me to contact my GP, which I did.

The lovely GP secretary made some calls and told me there was one other private clinic which my CCG (Trafford) would let me use and that's Manchester Care. So I've asked to be switched to that and the secretary said it was as easy as just asking, which surprised me. So currently waiting for the referral to go through! Very pleased. Thanks for your help x

cannonball8726 Wed 05-Sep-18 14:52:05

Glad you got it sorted. Good luck!

CrCaLa Wed 05-Sep-18 15:16:58

Thank you. I hope you had success too x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »