Talk

Advanced search

How many embryos thawed for FET

(8 Posts)
IcanMooCanYou Thu 07-Jun-18 20:26:36

Egg collection was Monday but clinic have gone for freeze all as their cut-off is 20 eggs (We got 21). I've done lots of googling but come up with conflicting answers- especially with technology advancing all the time- lots of info is out of date.

Anyone who's had a FET recently, how many embryos did they thaw? Was it one/ two at a time or all of them to find the best? We've got 13 at day three at the moment to be frozen at day 5.

Obviously I'm really pleased that everything has gone well so far, but with MANY years (and two partners) of TTC with no bfp ever I've just got a feeling it's an implantation problem. Don't want to get my hopes up that we'll have a few goes from this cycle if they're just going to thaw them all.

Obviously I'll ask clinic at next appointment but I'm impatient!!! (A great quality to have with IVF)

mplINsTA Thu 07-Jun-18 20:29:23

When I did IVF in December, I asked this and they said they'd thaw all of them in one go and transfer only the best one/two.

Honestly, I was furious (still am) as it's such a fucking waste, but I didn't have anything leftover to freeze so it became a moot point.

IcanMooCanYou Thu 07-Jun-18 20:39:34

Thanks. I was hoping it wouldn't be but best to know so I'm not super excited by how many we've got frozen. Especially as I've had no OHSS symptoms at all- just one egg over their limit to transfer fresh.

Tigerlily99 Thu 07-Jun-18 20:57:14

Hi, I’ve not had my FET yet, starting shortly but I asked the question at my booking appointment. I was told they will thaw only what they will transfer and will pick the best 2 as per when they were graded for pre-freeze (so max of 2 thawed at a time). I’d not be happy for them to thaw all and discard the rest!

IcanMooCanYou Thu 07-Jun-18 21:10:03

Argh see - this is what I found when I googled - different answers. I'm not sure if it makes a difference what day they freeze on because my thought was if they freeze day 5 with minimum 95% successful thaw rate, they're not then waiting for them to develop further to see which are best. If they freeze day 3, I could see the benefit of thawing all and then picking best at day 5.

They're phoning Sunday to tell me how many they've frozen so will try to ask- but it's the lab that call so not sure if they'll be able to answer.

Thank you both for your replies though!

mplINsTA Sat 09-Jun-18 18:26:23

Worth adding that my IVF was NHS - though they said they might be able to do additional FET's with frozen embryos if we paid hmm so policy will presumably vary between areas and clinics.

IcanMooCanYou Tue 12-Jun-18 21:00:49

Update just in case anyone else has this question.

Because they are day 5s they will definitely be thawing one at a time. We have 3 frozen and they've also said all 3 separate transfers (if needed) will be covered by NHS funding. Even if we'd had a fresh too, all frozen are counted as one cycle in my area.

Moral of the story: ask these questions earlier than I did as Google doesn't help! All areas and clinics are different.

DuchyDuke Wed 13-Jun-18 12:43:12

I agree it’s one at a time at a proper clinic.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: