Talk

Advanced search

Natural conception after successful IVF?

(12 Posts)
glasshalfsomething Fri 25-May-18 14:39:40

As the title says, I’m curious about this.

Had my daughter via IVF, successful first round. Almost fed up of the annecdotal references to how it’s likely to happen naturally second time round (we were unexplained fertility).

Has anyone experienced/not experienced it?

Currently using condoms as we are not ready for no.2 yet, but I am tracking my periods via an app, and certainly noticing more CM than I did previously. Is it really possible by body is more ready for a natural conception now?

physicskate Fri 25-May-18 14:59:20

My cousin had two rounds of IVF for her first (didn't respond to first lot of stims). Her second was a bit of a surprise 17 months later. She was 38 by then. A third was a massive surprise for her at 43. They were unexplained too.

I know it's purely anecdotal though...

JeNeBaguetteRien Fri 25-May-18 16:15:01

I do have a friend that this happened to. One IVF baby then a surprise. I also know a couple who had IVF and never used any more contraception ever and in 9 years no further pregnancy.

Can't comment from personal experience as I'm still trying for that elusive first one!

TimeToDash Fri 25-May-18 16:20:15

It happened for me :-) unexplained infertility, successful pregnancy after first IUI then natural pregnancy. But I had done some research and decided that my problem was hostile mucus so I tried the cough syrup trick (lots of the stuff containing guanesifin (google it).Also used OP tests and made sure I had the syrup a few days before each O. Two strapping boys later smile

Picklepickle123 Fri 25-May-18 16:22:19

I had a friend who fell pregnant when her first (IVF baby) was only 6 months old - I commented that she was brave to get pregnant again so quickly - it was a complete surprise to her! They'd been trying for the best part of five years before that.

Chattycat78 Fri 25-May-18 16:57:57

Yes it happened to me. Ivf worked first time - recommended because I had low ovarian reserve. Started ttc again naturally when ivf baby was 9 months old- got a bfp 2 weeks later. Was a shock.

Having said that, I did get pregnant before the ivf ;it didn’t work out) so I guess it depends on your reasons for needing ivf in the first place.

Also allegedly you are more fertile for the year after giving birth (something to do with hormones) so whether this had anything to do with it for me I don’t know.

Chattycat78 Fri 25-May-18 16:59:47

Ps on your comments about your body- your natural fertility comes back when your body is ready. I didn’t have a period for 9 months because I was breastfeeding.

glasshalfsomething Fri 25-May-18 22:53:59

These are really encouraging, thanks all!

Saturdayselling Fri 25-May-18 22:56:41

Three rounds of ivf for baby no.1, so she cost approx 20,000k, and then two free babies approx 2 years apart. Bargain!

Mumoftwoyoungkids Fri 25-May-18 23:01:30

Every couple I know who had IVF ended up with at least 1 more child than they originally intended......

(Either via multiple birth or “so happy we’ve finally completed our family, oooh why do I keep being sick in the mornings”)

Thelonggrass Sat 26-May-18 07:29:57

Yes- have a 2 year old via ivf (several rounds) and currently pregnant naturally after being told impossible (and trying for years before the ivf) . I’m down to one tube, and that one is supposedly blocked. I suspect it’s highly unlikely, but obviously possible.

evilgiraffe Sat 26-May-18 07:39:37

DD1 took almost four years to conceive: endless tests/investigations, surgery (including removal of a fallopian tube), hormone therapy (to treat endo), IVF. I stopped breastfeeding her around her first birthday, planning to start IVF six months later. However nine months later I was giving birth...

My infertility was down to endometriosis (which took 3.5 years to diagnose), and I do think pregnancy and breastfeeding help to suppress symptoms and thus raise fertility. After so long TTC #1 and losing a tube in the process we were shocked to find I was pregnant naturally and without actively TTC.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: