Talk

Advanced search

Long cycle before FET

(13 Posts)
HelloMist Tue 24-Apr-18 07:47:35

Hi, my periods used to be roughly every 30 days but following my latest failed IVF the gap was 60 days after the first bleed. (I'd had several of 40-49 days previously after the cycle before that). I didn't test if I ovulated but did get pains 2 weeks before my period finally arrived so I think I did.

I've asked my clinic but they seem to brush it off or ignore me. Should I be worried that my hormone levels aren't back to normal yet and push for a blood test? Could it affect chances for FET? I only get to talk or email nurses, not sure I can talk to a consultant without paying £200!

They've put me on the pill for a month before starting FET drugs and I'll have a baseline scan but I don't think normally a blood test (unless there's a - lining? - problem later) do down reg, the pill and the HRT take over my cycle sufficiently that it's no concern if my periods are wonky?

I'm also worried that there's limited time now to get any test arranged and get results back through my GP (the consultant a few months ago told us our virology was up to date but I was told yesterday mine isn't!). I could have it done privately with the clinic though.

Thank you for reading, am feeling quite anxious about the cycle as it could be our last go. Don't want to waste it.

HelloMist Tue 24-Apr-18 07:47:52

sorry it was long.

1Wanda1 Wed 25-Apr-18 12:46:01

Hi hellomist. I am in the same boat as you - currently on day 49 following the bleed I had post-fresh cycle (which was cancelled). Waiting to start FET cycle. It's so frustrating isn't it? Not sure what to suggest.

windy2909 Wed 25-Apr-18 23:29:03

Hi ladies, sorry I can’t offer any advice but I am in same position and am climbing the walls in frustration! My situation sounds very similar to yours @1wanda1.

Hope it comes soon for us all, as the waiting is getting to unbearable x

HelloMist Fri 27-Apr-18 16:31:13

Hi both of you, thank you for replying! My period had just arrived when writing. It was frustrating having some dates in the calendar from my guess at it arriving day 40 then watching time drag on long past it. But I felt slightly rushed into the next go so now I feel like the extra time has actually been good for me. (I didn't want to wait 2 cycles but didn't feel quite ready).

Sorry if this is not the case for you! Hoping AF comes soon for you both, let us know here.

I finally got to speak to a nurse at the clinic to get reassurance that with the drugs "taking over" my cycle there is no concern over it being long. She said it may just be a blip. (Though as I said I'd had quite long ones already after IVF). Hope they are right. I'm seeing the GP tomorrow to ask for virology bloods and will ask their opinion too.

windy2909 Fri 27-Apr-18 20:03:58

@hellomist - glad af came for you! I think it’s quite common to have a long cycle after the down reg drugs. My clinic advised around 6 weeks but I managed to convince myself that I would be lucky and it would come before that.....still hanging on in there....6 weeks tomorrow. Hope you get to start your fet drugs soon x

@1wanda1 - any joy yet? X

1Wanda1 Sat 28-Apr-18 06:41:02

No joy for me so am going to have a scan on Wednesday to see what's going on.

windy2909 Fri 04-May-18 21:49:59

@1wanda1 - hi there hope you’re doing well? Do you mind me asking how you got on with your scan? Still no af for me so have called clinic and they’ve booked me in for bloods. Hope you got some answers and know where you stand x

1Wanda1 Sat 05-May-18 08:20:48

Hi Windy. Scan showed a very thin lining, as thin as at the start of a normal cycle. It was day 55. They couldn't explain why it was like this, except to say it was as if my body had skipped a cycle. I had a blood test for FSH to check I'm not menopausal - result was 10, which they said wasn't menopausal (I am 42).

As lining was thin and ovaries quiet, they said I could start FET cycle if I wanted to as no need to bleed first (nothing to shed).

As lining was so thin, I imagine that if I had not had scan, it would have been at least another 21-28 days before I would have had a period (assuming lining started to thicken naturally).

I really think all these drugs have messed up my cycle. Before this I was bang on 28 days every time.

windy2909 Sat 05-May-18 14:52:44

Hi Wanda, thank you for your response and sharing your experience. That is really strange! Are you going ahead with the fet now then?

My clinic seem to go by bloods rather than scans for these things so will just need to wait and see what they say. It will be day 52 for me by then. The strangest part for me is that for the last 3 weeks I’ve had cramps like af is coming at any time. Did you have these? X

1Wanda1 Sun 06-May-18 09:39:51

Hi Windy. Yes we are going to go ahead with FET now. Am on the progynova. If I were you I would ask your clinic for a scan, because I don't see how they will be able to tell where you are in your cycle without looking at ovaries/lining.

I didn't have any cramps btw. Just felt totally "normal" since last period (though that was unusually heavy).

windy2909 Sun 06-May-18 12:24:23

Thanks @1wanda1. Best of luck with your fet. Here’s hoping this is the one!

I will ask them to scan me. I have had cramps for over 3 weeks as if af is coming. Not sure where I’ll stand as they plan to do a natural fet, so I’m assuming they’ll want me to have af first. Here’s hoping I’ll know where I stand after appointment! X

HelloMist Tue 08-May-18 07:33:02

Hope so Windy! I didn't have cramps for weeks, only some for a day at what turned out to be ovulation time (?). Sorry that you have. Even harder for you to try and get on with things while you wait to see what's going on.

Wanda that is good news! Strange though. Good luck for your FET. You are ahead of me now. I'm about to start down regging.

Thank you both for sharing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: