Talk

Advanced search

Trying to conceive baby#2 following ivf treatment for #1

(999 Posts)
lucieloos Sat 17-Mar-18 18:34:04

I thought I would start this thread as I can't see anything similar. We underwent many rounds of icsi and following a couple of bfns, and an ectopic pregnancy we were finally blessed with our beautiful daughter last year.

We recently started thinking about baby no 2 and had 4 frozen embryos of which 2 had been tested and found to be chromosomally normal so are meant to have a better chance. We didnt have the other 2 tested.

A couple of weeks back we had our first fet with one of the tested embryos and got a bfp super early at 4dp5dt. Sadly by 8dpt the line was barely visible and resulted in a chemical pregnancy. I've been feeling really down about it as this was meant to be a super duper embryo with no genetic problems which they said was the main reason embryos fail.

I thought it would be easier trying for #2 and of course it is in a way as I realise how lucky I am to have had a baby but I can feel the infertility fog starting to descend again as I realise although I've had a brief respite I will never be like my fertile friends and I do really want another baby and a sibling for my little girl.

Im feeling a bit negative at the moment. We will probably go back for the other tested embryo in the near future but I can't see how I would ever get lucky enough to get 2 bfps in a row. These things just don't happen to me so just not too hopeful about it at all. We said that if we used all of our frosties with no success we would be happy with what we have but already I am thinking should I do more fresh cycles. I will be 39 soon though so time isn't on my side for that.

Anyway just wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation and would like to share the journey. Please come and say hi.

twinkledag Mon 19-Mar-18 14:03:57

Thank you all, 10 eggs collected this morning. Now back at apartment resting.

twinkledag Mon 19-Mar-18 14:05:58

@Snowdayfet - same here re diet and exercise. So much harder with toddler around to be 'perfect'. Don't beat yourself up. thanks

lucieloos Mon 19-Mar-18 15:46:37

Wow 10 eggs is brilliant twinkle! I did 7 egg collections rounds and my highest no was 8 eggs and I also got 7 once other than that it was all around 3. Although I think I finally found a protocol that worked better for me towards the end which is when I got the 7 then 8 eggs so I would definitely give that another try if these frosties didn't work. Are you having treatment abroad?

Snow, I am exactly the same with the eating, sleeping, drinking and I also had acupuncture last time before my successful round but I don't think any of those things make that much difference especially for a fet so don't beat yourself up about it. We can only do what we can.

twinkledag Mon 19-Mar-18 17:38:34

@lucieloos - first time I got 24 eggs! Second time I got 14. This is third time and I've got 10. Same thing happens every time, I get a good amount and only end up with 2. Think that's cause we have male factor issues?

I am with Serum in Greece and can't falter them. Who are you with?

lucieloos Mon 19-Mar-18 17:46:56

The most blasts I've ever ended up with is 3 but that was a one off. Sometimes 2 but more likely 1. We have male factor too and I also have a fairly low amh so not surprising really. Do they offer picsi and macs for sperm sorting in serum? We had some better results with that.

I am with reprofit in Czech. Bit of a pain travelling out there especially now with a baby in tow but everything is so much cheaper and the clinic so much more efficient than the private one I go to for scans etc in the uk.

twinkledag Mon 19-Mar-18 19:51:58

They made DH give 3 samples and will use whatever technique they think is best based on the sample.

lucieloos Mon 19-Mar-18 19:58:41

That sounds good!

Snowdayfet Mon 19-Mar-18 20:12:09

My beta came back today at less than 1 so at least that’s a chemical confirmed. Stopping progesterone tonight. Will get an appointment debrief time shortly. I am guessing it will be same as you girls - will add steroids and aspirin and maybe intralipds (although I’d have to go elsewhere to get those I think). Plus am still thinking I might skip a treatment cycle and try to get a bit healthier before trying again in the cycle after next. Although we are away on hols at the end of May and I wouldn’t want the second cycle to run into that time.

twinkle 10 eggs is amazing. Well done! Hope you’re getting some rest.

twinkledag Mon 19-Mar-18 20:47:37

@Snowdayfet thanks

PotatoesPastaAndBread Mon 19-Mar-18 21:20:38

Hi ladies, I'm going to pull up a chair.

I'm 38 and have DD 6 months after 5 years TTC, 1 IVF ending in an epic miscarriage with retained products after erpc that went on for longer than I'd been pregnant. Second round of IVF successful. We've got three frosties.

I've always told myself I am so so so so so lucky to have a baby at all, plus I'm still finding having a baby really hard! (I'm knackered)

But

At the same time as I wonder how I'll get through the rest of this week with a baby, I wonder how I'll get through the rest of my life without another baby. I barely have time to think, yet I spend quite a lot of time worrying about not being able to have another baby.

Biology is a funny thing and hormones are a bitch. I feel guilty to even dream of another. But it's a feeling in my gut I can't shake off.

So that's my ramble! I'll probably lurk for a bit until we get serious about using those frosties. In the mean time, good luck to you all with cycles planned and ongoing flowers

lucieloos Mon 19-Mar-18 21:30:11

Snow, really sorry to hear that but I know like me you wanted it confirmed rather than to drag on. I will be interested to hear if you doc can offer any insight into what went wrong. Although I've been googling a lot about pgs embryos and they seem far from a sure thing. Really hope we have better luck next time.
Potatoes,* I'm sure we have been on a thread together before. I think we all have similar feelings about how lucky we are to have our beautiful babies but not being able to get past the feeling of wanting a sibling. It really is hard. I will probably have another attempt in the next month or so.

Snowdayfet Mon 19-Mar-18 22:25:43

potatoes oh god yeah I hear you re finding it hard. My son is almost 15 months and doesn’t regularly sleep through the night yet. I’m back at work. In the few days that I thought this fet had worked I must admit to a few omg what have we DONE?! thoughts. But I do want another - as much for my son to have company as for me. Sounds like your ttc no 1 was awful. Sometimes I feel like saying “aren’t we lucky to have our kids” but then I think no, fuck it, the amount of shit we’ve gone through to have them, we damn well deserve to have them!

lucie - thank you. Yes am like you in that I just want to move on. It hasn’t worked and I can’t control that - that’s the one thing I learned from infertility the first time round! I am also v nervous about how my remaining two will go - let’s see what the doctor says. I’ll update when I go and see him - I’ll get the appointment time tomorrow.

In the meantime I had a lovely glass of wine tonight despite thinking I should probs cut down if I’m cycling in the near future...sigh. Wine is the best!

PonyPals Mon 19-Mar-18 23:42:32

Sorry to hear @Snowdayfet that it was a chemical.
I hear you all! Even now I have noticed that I am 'controlling' the way I am reacting to this cycle being a possible BFN by constantly saying 'I know how lucky I am to already have one DC'

But I think we all realise that just because we already have one DC doesn't make the longing for another any less. In fact, maybe it is even harder as we want to give our DC a sibling.

lucieloos Tue 20-Mar-18 07:49:00

Pony, do you have anymore frosties if this one doesn't work out?

Snow, hope your appointment is not too far away and they can give some constructive feedback.

PonyPals Tue 20-Mar-18 08:05:35

@lucieloos don't have any other Frosties so would have to start considering a full ICSI again.
What's next for you?

lucieloos Tue 20-Mar-18 08:42:16

Aww keeping everything crossed pony. How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm 38 so feel like time is getting on for me. We have 3 frosties left but only one tested one so we will try that next but don't feel overly optimistic but all we can do is try.

PonyPals Tue 20-Mar-18 09:06:12

I'm 36. Turning 37 in July. I think I put so much pressure on this emby as it is '34 years old' so thought would have more chances.

That's the thing you just never know when it will work and all we can do is try.
I'm being a bit philosophical tonight (not from UK).

GenghisKahnSchmitz Tue 20-Mar-18 11:04:42

Hello everyone, may I join? I'm 37 and ttc no.2. My story is a little different as we had IUI and were extremely lucky in that it worked the first time. We were back with my gynaecologist this morning to start the process again, and he wants us to do IUI first (three attempts before moving to IVF).

Your comment about the fog is so real Lucie...I swore to myself that I wouldn't fall back down that trap where basically it's all I can think about, but I can feel it starting to rise, and I'm going to have to force myself to control it. Good luck everyone!

lucieloos Tue 20-Mar-18 14:03:38

Yes pony I feel the same I did 3 rounds of embryo banking before having our little girl as I knew by the time we (hopefully) had her I would be older and chances of a fresh cycle working would be less. We saved up 4 frosties, 2 of which were genetically tested and I kind of felt that gave us a really good chance of a sibling but now I'm not so sure.

Hi ghengis, I'm sure we have been on boards together before also. It is very hard not to fall down the infertility trap again isn't it. I've been out with friends today and the babies and am feeling a lot happier and more philosophical about what will be will be but I know it probably won't last long before the fog and anxiety sets in again.

twinkledag Tue 20-Mar-18 14:49:49

It is all consuming, it takes up all your headspace.

7 out of 10 fertilised normally. Will next hear on Thursday.

I'm going home tomorrow so praying these are good enough to go to day 5 (Saturday) so I can fly back for transfer. No annual leave left to stay!!

lucieloos Tue 20-Mar-18 15:12:35

That's really good going twinkle to get 7 out of 10. Keeping everything crossed for you. That's a long way to have to fly back to. Did you take your little one with you?

twinkledag Tue 20-Mar-18 15:27:03

Yes my OH and DS are here with me. I'll fly back to Athens on Friday night if embryos get to Day 5. They have done in the past so fingers crossed.

lucieloos Tue 20-Mar-18 15:31:36

Will they fly back with you too or will you go on your own? Sorry for a million questions just wondering what I would do if need more fresh cycles. I have to get a flight from Stansted which is a 3.5 hour drive each way so a bit of a pain.

lucieloos Tue 20-Mar-18 15:32:55

How will you know if they get to day 5 before you leave?

twinkledag Tue 20-Mar-18 15:40:38

I will go back for the transfer on my own.

That's the risk - I won't know if they'll get to day 5 before I leave, I need everyone to pray for me sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »