Talk

Advanced search

IUI or IVF?

(7 Posts)
Bubblegum89 Wed 14-Feb-18 15:05:17

It seems we have unexplained secondary infertility. All our tests have come back normal and my tubes are patent.

My first thought went to IVF. It seemed the most logical as it bypasses all the other stuff. Then I read up on IUI and now I’m not sure what would be best. I understand that IVF success rates are higher but it is much more expensive.

I have conceived twice naturally (once with an ex, once with my partner) and I have one living daughter. I’m wondering if IUI would be more likely to work than if I had never been able to conceive naturally? I only ask because every doctor I’ve seen always says things like “well it’s good that you’ve been pregnant naturally before” not that they really explain what they mean by that or that I’m any less skeptical. But still.

Obviously IUI is going to be much “easier” as it’s not as financially demanding and is less invasive and I believe you can also try it without using medication too. But there’s a little voice in my head that is saying I should save my money and do IVF instead. I don’t really want to end up spending loads on a procedure that is less likely to work than IVF then have to start from scratch saving for IVF, if that makes sense. At the same time, IVF is a huge thing to put your body under.

In my position (so, unexplained infertility, hormones and sperm and tubes all fine and I’m ovulating properly etc and have conceived twice naturally in the past) what would you recommend? Give IUI a go? Go straight for IVF? If anyone has had or is having a similar issue to me, I would love to hear from you!

430West Wed 14-Feb-18 15:35:26

Honestly, IVF isn't the massive big deal it is made out to be. People do have different experiences, of course, but it really isn't anything like as bad as I thought it would be.

Personally, I'd just bite the bullet and go with the IVF. It is very significantly cheaper, with similar success rates abroad though, so if cost is a big factor, might be worth considering?

Bubblegum89 Wed 14-Feb-18 15:48:18

I’ve looked into the fertility clinic in Cyprus which seems to have much better IVF success rates. I will definitely mention it to my fertility consultant although I’m sure she will try and convince me to try IVF or IUI in the UK!

430West Wed 14-Feb-18 16:56:33

The cost of UK IVF isn't justifiable IMO, I've recently switched from a london clinic to one overseas and the service is actually a lot better and success rates very similar for literally 1/3 of the price.

Do you mind if I ask how old you are? How long you have been TTC for? If time is on your side, you could just keep on trying naturally for a while. It is definitely true that the fact you conceived naturally is a huge factor in your favour.

Bubblegum89 Wed 14-Feb-18 18:59:20

We’ve been ttc 17 months so not a massively long time (although it seems like it lol) we are both 28 so luckily also have age on our side. I just had a HyCoSy and my tubes were clear and I’ve hear from a few people that sometimes the first 3 months following a HyCoSy can make you more fertile (clutching at straws here) as it can flush out any small blockages so planning on ttc naturally for at least the next 3 months then will look into other options. Where is it you’ve looked into abroad if you don’t mind me asking?

MrsDrambuie Thu 15-Feb-18 00:02:09

@bubblegum89 Our local NHS said that for our unexplained infertility (DH absolutely fine, all my tests fine too) they would not recommend IUI, they said we were just as well to go home and DTD, that IUI wasn’t proven to be successful / successful enough for couples with unexplained infertility.
They said if I haven’t conceived by the 2 years mark (very soon), then I could be put on the waiting list for IVF (waiting list in our area currently about 6 months).

AmbK Sat 17-Feb-18 18:17:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: