Talk

Advanced search

Immune drugs on ivf

(6 Posts)
Stillmonday Mon 12-Feb-18 17:40:05

I'm about to start my 5th ivf cycle.
Cycle 4 was with full immune drugs after testing positive for a few issues so this cycle I thought would be the same.

My protocol arrived and although I'd been prescribed intralipids again, the steroids weren't on my list.

I called my clinic and was told I could take them if I wanted as they wouldn't do any harm!

I'm a bit confused, why prescribe them in the first place if they aren't necessary?

Also I've had the endo scratch the last 3 cycles (including the last immune cycle) but now they say not to have it as they don't recommend it whilst taking immune drugs?!! They recommended it before!

Very confused. Anyone offer any advice?

Stillmonday Mon 12-Feb-18 20:21:41

Anyone?

physicskate Mon 12-Feb-18 22:05:06

Would you regret it if you didn't use them and it didn't work?? If so, if they say it can't hurt, use em.

Stillmonday Tue 13-Feb-18 06:36:39

I'm more than happy to take anything that will help, the point I was trying to make is that I wonder why they missed the steroids off my prescription at first then put them back on once I pointed it out. That's what I don't understand.

Do I need them or not?!?

physicskate Tue 13-Feb-18 08:54:49

Like with so many things, this is a mystery to me...

I just didn't want your post to go unanswered...

I suppose the immune side of infertility is not well understood. Just look at the controversy surrounding nk cells!!

Weedance Sun 18-Feb-18 22:29:24

Sounds like they are just trying something a little different in the hope it’ll work. It’s annoying when they change clinical policy during a cycle. My clinic decided to make it policy to only transfer day 5 embryos after I had already done two failed cycles with them and transferred embryos on days 2 and 3. I felt like I may have had success if only we had grown my embryos then transferred on day 5, which I actually requested at the time and they declined! Obviously i’ll never know if it would've made a difference but it’s so annoying!
You could take the steroids if it won’t harm. Then you know you did everything. As for the scratch situation, maybe keep that under your hat and if the cycle doesn’t work, put in a complaint. I can see why you would be really annoyed by this and an explanation from them might help. You had a procedure hoping it would improve your chances then learn it’s not recommended. Sounds pretty slack and deserves some answers.
After several cycles at 3 different clinics, one thing I’ve learned is that they just don’t always know why it does or doesn’t work. Sometimes they are guessing, much as we are. Which clinic are you with? Do they have good results for people with your type of issues/age group etc?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: