Talk

Advanced search

Advice when thinking about / starting IVF

(8 Posts)
FirstTimerIVF Fri 09-Feb-18 20:41:52

Hi,

We are just taking the first steps towards IVF and I was wondering whether anyone had any top tips / general advice about how to approach it, psychologically and practically.

We will be paying privately and thinking about going overseas (Czech republic) from the outset for cost reasons. We're braced for several cycles but I'm also trying to prepare for the fact that it might not work at all. I'm about to turn 35, ttc for a couple of years. We have already had a successful pregnancy but also 4 miscarriages.

I've been trying to avoid Dr Google since I got my AMH, CD3 and 21 blood tests back. We don't hear about DH's semen analysis until we see the consultant. I really don't know what our chances are and I'm slightly scared to find out.

Any advice really welcome - there's no-one in real life I can talk to about this.

Mark29 Fri 09-Feb-18 20:50:49

As someone who started the ivy tests etc the biggest advice I could give is cut the alcohol take folic and vitamins and cut out hit baths fit the man. Me and my wife were in the last ditch efforts before they started treatment and my wife fell a week before so 8f you haven't already done this do it now

Mark29 Fri 09-Feb-18 20:51:26

Ps I had my seen analysis and doctor said no chance

ShirleyT12 Sat 10-Feb-18 06:26:49

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

TammySwanson Sat 10-Feb-18 07:45:36

D'oh! I forgot to stop taking all those lovely drugs! That's where we've all gone wrong. But I love heroin SO MUCH, do I really have to??

To the surprise of nobody, ShirleyT12 is also spamming the Surrogacy boards with her own gibberish miracle story! Another spam from the unethical, unregulated and all over shitty Ukrainian clinic.

Welshlovebicuit Sat 10-Feb-18 07:49:22

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

TammySwanson Sat 10-Feb-18 09:54:37

Firsttimer> There are a number of long-running IVF threads in this board and I'd suggest dipping your toes in them, i'm sure you'll get a lot of support and advice there. My only tip is that most people (myself included) find the emotional and psychological side of it a lot more difficult to deal with than the physical one, so be prepared as you can for that. The whole process is a huge head-fuck, especially if it's ultimately unsuccessful. I guess this is less of an issue if you are successful.

delilahbucket Tue 13-Feb-18 13:33:27

After being given my high FSH and low lh and oestradial results, we've kind of ended up going in head first and not thinking about it. We had already trawled through clinics to pick the one for us (consider UK ones as well as abroad as up north there are many that are financially comparable to abroad once you factor in travel costs). I will kind of feel like I'm winging it now and to be honest, that's probably for the best.
You could do with that semen analysis though as you may need icsi and you could do with knowing whether your dh needs to make any lifestyle changes (which take at least three months to have any impact due to the time it takes to make sperm).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now