Talk

Advanced search

Continue trying naturally?

(17 Posts)
panda2018 Fri 09-Feb-18 11:49:36

Hi, I’m just looking for a bit of advice pls (this is my first time on any forum).

My DH and I have been TTC for three years. I’m 39 and he is 29. Have done all blood, ultrasound and sperm tests which came back normal.

In aug 2015 my amh was 1.2 and afc was 2 (this was done privately). In nov 2016 my afc was 1 and I was told that DE was really the only option (told by nhs).

In Jan 2018 my amh was 2.2 and afc was 4 but nhs have said my chances of successful ivf using my own eggs is 5%, using donor eggs my chances are 65%.

My DH and I are going to go down the DE route BUT we actually got pregnant last month. Miscarried at 5 weeks so v early on but we still got pregnant. I am wondering if this is anything to do with acupuncture, moxibustion and fertility massage I’ve been having since November.

My question is should we keep trying naturally or push on with DE. We only have nhs funding until the end of the year.

Has anyone else been in same situation? Basically I was told that my only option was ED but then I got pregnant so now I'm a bit confused!

bluebird3 Fri 09-Feb-18 14:29:44

Hi there. So sorry about your mc. Honestly, I would go for the de if your funding is going to run out. Maybe try naturally the next couple cycles as you're meant to be more fertile after a mc, but I wouldn't wait too long. I have a good friend who started trying at 38, and had a mc every year or so and so she kept trying naturally and is now 45 with no baby. I've had 3 failed ICSI myself so will be looking into de as well. Good luck.

panda2018 Fri 09-Feb-18 16:58:03

Thanks bluebird3. A GP friend of mine has said exactly the same thing as you. Fingers crossed one way or the other we will be successful. Good luck with your own journey, I wonder if you are thinking of going abroad for treatment?

BertieBotts Fri 09-Feb-18 17:00:54

Have you had karyotypes run? This is no longer a standard test in some NHS areas but can shed light. However you don't want to waste time if you only have funding for a set amount of time. Would it be worth trying for a certain number of months (4? 6?) and then looking at the donor egg process or might you run out of time?

Hannahh1234 Fri 09-Feb-18 17:02:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

TammySwanson Fri 09-Feb-18 17:10:28

It's friday evening, so it must be time for the gibberish spam posts from our favourite shitty Ukrainian clinic!! Nice try, Hannahh1234, but your post will be gone soon.

JeNeBaguetteRien Fri 09-Feb-18 17:15:45

Hi Panda, would the NHS in your area fund donor treatment, and if so what are waiting lists like?

My AMH is 2. We are currently considering DE but would likely do so in Spain or the Czech Republic.

I'm so sorry about your MC, in your position I think I'd try probably 2 more cycles and move on.
Have you explored your feelings on donor eggs? I'm veering towards treatment abroad due to donor anonymity. If you do want to try with your own then I'd look at the statistics, weigh it all up and discuss with DH. Good luck whatever you both decide.

JeffsNewAngle Fri 09-Feb-18 17:22:54

Get ovulation sticks and ask your GP for progesterone supplementation.

Sorry about your m/c but it’s very hopeful you’ll conceive again.

Take 800mg folic acid every day starting now.

We had the same story and conceived naturally without ART.
Thinking back I actually wouldn’t have been happy with DE or sperm.

But then I’m rather what will be will be, and was willing to be childless unless we conceived naturally (36 months ttc) and had our own genetic child. Just the way we felt about it at the time.

feverxo Fri 09-Feb-18 18:29:01

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

EarlGreyT Fri 09-Feb-18 20:56:26

It's friday evening, so it must be time for the gibberish spam posts from our favourite shitty Ukrainian clinic!!

Indeed Tanmy. A fairly amateur attempt by feverxo above. Hopefully fever’s post will be gone soon too.

EarlGreyT Fri 09-Feb-18 20:56:58

* Tammy

Chattycat78 Fri 09-Feb-18 21:05:11

Sorry but WTF is fever talking about? Surrogacy in NO WAY solves low amh!!!

Chattycat78 Fri 09-Feb-18 21:09:15

Very tough call OP. You can clearly get pregnant on your own. However obvs your funding will only last so long. Could you try naturally for a while and then use the funding at the last minute if needed?

If you did this, you should do everything you can to improve egg quality in that time.

Clickncollect Fri 09-Feb-18 21:18:24

@feverxo - you don't know what you're talking about. do you happen to know anything about Ukrainian clinics, by any chance?
OP, definitely worth trying naturally in the meantime and perhaps, as PP have said, use the funding last minute. Good luck x

panda2018 Fri 09-Feb-18 21:57:01

Thanks so much everyone for your advice. We are going to try naturally for another three months and literally throw everything at it but if we’re unsuccessful we’ll try DE. We had already accepted this option in nov’16 when we were told that was the only way we could conceive so we are ready to go down this route. Thanks again x

Andcake Fri 09-Feb-18 22:01:18

We were in same situation mc and all we kept trying naturally....b complex dhea and loads of yoga...after 2 mc got beautiful ds.

Our plan had been de once 41 but we would have been self funding.

Chattycat78 Sat 10-Feb-18 11:26:13

Don’t forget- low amh on its own doesn’t prevent conception. They have given you those low ivf stats because people with low amh Tend to respond badly to ivf stim drugs. Doesnt show that you can’t get pregnant on your own.

For what’s its worth my amh was 2.8 age 34. I’ve been pregnant 3 times and had 2 live births since (1 of which was ivf). I do appreciate that s age is a factor though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now