Talk

Advanced search

Fertility clinic initial appointment

(5 Posts)
Bubblegum89 Thu 07-Dec-17 09:28:31

Hope this is okay to ask in here...

I’ve been ttc for over a year with zero pregnancies so been referred to a fertility clinic and have my first appointment in a couple of weeks. I had a termination 3 years ago (100% not my choice and there’s not a day that goes by that I don’t regret it) I fully believe my fertility issues are due to the surgery I had and/or the horrendous infection I got afterwards. Either way, it’s my karma I guess.

I’m assuming the whole thing will come up at the clinic. I hate talking about it as I’m so ashamed but I’m worried that they won’t be as eager to help me. They must see tonnes of women who have never been able to get pregnant and they are obviously more worthy candidates for help than I am. Could that be the case? Will it go against me?

Sorry if I’ve offended anyone asking this.

Isthismummy Thu 07-Dec-17 11:21:48

Sorry to hear of your troubles op.

Please be assured that the fertility clinic will not judge you for your past termination. It's only relevance to them will be in relation to any possible issues it is causing you now. You are as worthy of being there as anyone else who walks through the doors.

There's no such thing as karma either, so please don't beat yourself up.

Best of luck with it all.

Bubblegum89 Thu 07-Dec-17 15:47:44

Thank you, that’s really kind of you to say. And that’s good, I have suspected scar tissue in my uterus and blocked tubes. The only reason I could have them is from the surgery so I will definitely have to talk about it but it’s good to know that they won’t judge me and write me off because of it

Winenight Fri 08-Dec-17 09:09:19

I'm sorry to hear about this OP. There is no such thing as karma, you made the best decision for yourself that you could at the time, so please don't beat yourself up about what happened in the past. Infertility is hard enough without the added stress!

The question will arise about any previous pregnancies during the course of the treatment, but this is so your clinic can understand your full medical history. Also they may ask if the termination was for "social" reasons (as opposed to "medical" reasons- ie a chromosonal abnormality) but it isn't judging, it is just to get your full health picture and determine any possible risk factors.

It will not in any affect your eligibility to have the treatment. In my experience the clinic staff have been really lovely and supportive and I hope yours are too. Best of luck.

Bubblegum89 Fri 08-Dec-17 14:54:10

Thank you winenight I’m just so sad about the whole thing and I’m worried that they’re going to ask me and I’m just going to burst into tears! That’s made me feel a little better though, so thank you smile Hopefully it can be something they skim over fairly quickly!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: