Talk

Advanced search

Blood test results - can anyone help me understand them?

(8 Posts)
closephine85 Mon 13-Nov-17 12:12:32

After 2 failed IVF’s and multiple failed IUI’s I took a step back and went to the GP for some bloods. She’s just called and said that my Estradial is low at 91 (25 converted), my progesterone (I think) may also be a little high for where I was in my cycle. The bloods were taken day 3 and the progesterone is 3.6nmol. I’m currently having a tracked cycle to see what my progesterone is up to anyway, but I’m just wondering what the significance of the low estrodial could be? Or the fact that progesterone is high and oestrogen low? My lining has always looked ok which is one of the potential problems the GP mentioned. I will talk to my fertility clinic when next in but I just wondered if any one can help in the meantime? Thanks

JoJoSM2 Mon 13-Nov-17 12:43:10

Sorry, I don’t know what the levels are meant to be day by day. Presumably, progesterone levels will be more important after ovulation. Estradiol builds the lining up so it’d be quite surprising that it’s low but the lining is good. What was your lining on your past cycles? The average is 11-12mm.

closephine85 Mon 13-Nov-17 12:52:56

My understanding is that high progesterone (above 2nmol) pre ovulation could result in the implantation window shifting and therefore uterine receptivity would have been and gone by the time a blastocyst was trying to implant. My lining is usually between about 8-9mm and always triple lined. I think 11-12mm might be the average on a medicated ivf cycle but not on a natural cycle, I think my 8-9 is ok. Mine was 12 on my medicated ivf in feb.

JoJoSM2 Mon 13-Nov-17 13:12:39

So your lining does sound good. I’m sorry I’m not sure about the window shifts with progesterone levels but it does make sense that it could move with high progesterone levels.

Have you done any medicated FETs before? They manipulate estradiol and progesterone for those completely so the window for implantation should be where it needs to be?

clairettc Mon 13-Nov-17 13:31:57

Hi, I don’t know about the numbers by my gynaecologist told me it didn’t matter what my progesterone etc were as they effectively medicate all of that within a ivf cycle? So I’d suggest talking to your fertility consultant rather than your gp about is there any reason your last two cycles might have failed and what could be done different next time x

closephine85 Mon 13-Nov-17 13:43:47

Thanks both, I know that they can control during a medicated cycle but I guess I haven’t given up on the dream that if it could be controlled then I might get pregnant naturally. Otherwise I have no other issues but my DH has a low sperm count (although it has improved recently). I will be talking to my fertility consultant again, I just thought someone might know about the oestrogen levels as I have no clue about that side of it.

JoJoSM2 Mon 13-Nov-17 14:58:25

I found these 2 graphs. Not sure how they compare to the units your GP is using.

closephine85 Mon 13-Nov-17 16:24:27

Thanks, I have no idea whether I should be looking at is as 91 or 25 so think I’m going to have to wait and speak to the consultant!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: