Talk

Advanced search

Recurrent miscarriage with new partner

(2 Posts)
TheCatsPaws Tue 07-Nov-17 23:40:52

I’ve just had my second miscarriage. The first was a missed miscarriage that happened around 7 weeks and this one is a chemical.

I have one son who is two with exP. DP is convinced he is the cause of these losses.

I doubt this but can anyone give any advice? We are both in our twenties and have no known health issues.

JoJoSM2 Wed 08-Nov-17 07:37:11

Unfortunately, chemicals are very common (estimated at 1 in 3 or even 1 in 2 pregnancies). Miscarriages can happen for a variety of reasons - about half are due to the embryo being chromosomally dodgy. They are less common but still 1 in 5 pregnancies end that way. So it can just be bad luck. Because of that, investigations for recurrent miscarriage aren’t considered necessary/appropriate until you’ve had 3 miscarriages (I don’t think chemicals count in that).

So it’s very likely to have been just bad luck for you. However, if your DP would like to investigate, he could get the sperm DNA fragmentation test done. I don’t think it’s available on the NHS but it’s the main male thing that’s linked to miscarriages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now