Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

IVF and new job

(6 Posts)
gleerocks123 Wed 01-Nov-17 07:44:29

I'm hoping someone can advise me on this one because I'm in turmoil!

I turned 40 last month and after a series of miscarriages and an operation to remove scarring, we've been advised to go for IVF. We'd planned to give it a go naturally for a couple of months, and if no success, start the IVF process in January.

BUT - I have a new job, also starting in January. It seems mad to start IVF at the same time! I can't ask for time off straight away, particularly as my predecessor massively messed up and did harm to the organisation, and they are looking to me to do a good job. I work for them part time already and know them personally and don't want to mess them around. I also have to fill in a medical form that asks if I am undergoing medical treatment. Currently I can fill it in and say no, I'm not. To turn around in January and start asking for time off for medical appointments would be very awkward.

So basically, I'm asking if I can have it all done without work knowing? For info, I live and work in the same place, a 30 min train ride from london, but we would have IVF in London, so before work and lunchtime appointments would not work. I will finish work at 3pm 3 times a week.

We could delay it till easter, and I can have 2 weeks holiday (I can't take holiday before then), but at 40 it seems like every month counts.

Madness? Hoping people have been through IVF can help...

JoJoSM2 Wed 01-Nov-17 11:30:14

Could you tell them that you’ve got some other commitments/some medical stuff in January and offer to carry on part time till Feb and then do more hours?

gleerocks123 Wed 01-Nov-17 12:13:56

Unfortunately not :-( It's school based so no part-time working allowed and no holidays in term time.

JoJoSM2 Wed 01-Nov-17 12:40:13

What about the half term in Feb? Perhaps you'd manage to time it so that you start stimming before half-term and hopefully have your collection and transfer when you're off. With any luck, you'd only need to miss 2-3 mornings to attend the scans and bloods. Still better than taking more time off.

Easter would be even better but it just depends on how you feel about waiting that much longer...

Viviennemary Wed 01-Nov-17 12:45:47

There is another thread on this I saw this week that gave lots of information to somebody in a similar position to you. Not sure what topic it's in though.

gleerocks123 Wed 01-Nov-17 13:15:42

February half term could work...I guess I need to get the ball rolling and speak to the clinic and see what they advise!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now