Talk

Advanced search

Scared to carry

(6 Posts)
Lashed24 Sun 29-Oct-17 17:21:38

I'm 27 and been married to my wife for a couple of months now.
We've got a daughter who is 16 months old who was born using IVF, my wife carried and it was her egg.
I've got Spina Bifida and we have made an appointment to start our IVF cycle again but me carrying this time. I wondered if there is anyone else around that has had Spina Bifida and carried there child as I don't want to cause myself problems or a baby...I can walk and eat normally I have an ACE procedure on my stomach...any stories would be appreciated...sorry I haven't wrote it down well I'm rubbish at writing
Xx

sourpatchkid Tue 31-Oct-17 20:57:40

Sorry to hear about your worries - I wonder if you might be better posting in general health and putting SB in the title?

meadowlark3 Tue 31-Oct-17 21:29:40

Spina bifida is classed as a neural tube defect, which can often be prevented by folic acid supplementation before and during the early days of pregnancy. It is very important that you speak with your clinic and they will likely put you on high dose folic acid for a few months before you cycle.

bluebird3 Wed 01-Nov-17 15:31:02

Hi there. I have a friend who has SB but has the most mild form (you wouldn’t know it unless she told you). She’s had two babies. Her first had a more severe SB - needs a wheelchair and her 2nd does not have SB. So I guess the risk is increased so would be worth speaking to your doctor about.

clairettc Fri 03-Nov-17 07:16:59

I agree speak with the clinic as you should have pre conception counselling and at least 3 months of 5mg folic acid prior to pregnancy.

Lashed24 Sun 05-Nov-17 11:03:10

Thanks I've got an appointment on the 20th November but sometimes they don't get it right so just wanted some other opinions xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now