Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Three failed IVFs, now what? Located in the Midlands...

(13 Posts)
LoveableLou Tue 24-Oct-17 08:21:25

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting and I'm not sure where to start but I'm hoping a few of you might be able to reach out.

I've had 3 IVF cycles at The Priory in Birmingham (2 x ICSI and 1 x FET), none of which have worked. I have a low ovarian reserve and it seems as though it's my egg quality causing it to fail each time.
Before that I went through 6 rounds of Clomid and 8 rounds of Letrazole, again all leading to nothing.

After not being overly happy with our treatment at The Priory we are now considering Bristol Centre for Reproductive Medicine. Does anyone have any experience of treatment there? We went to an Info Evening which was helpful, but I'm reluctant to try again after such an awful few years of failure. Donor egg isn't an option as the waiting list is up to 2 years. After 4 years TTC I can't face whacking another 2 years on top of that.

Thanks x

CandyMelts Tue 24-Oct-17 08:26:47

Have you considered going abroad for donor eggs?
What steps have you taken to improve egg quality so far?
I'm sorry this hasn't worked so far flowers

LoveableLou Tue 24-Oct-17 08:47:33

Hi CandyMelts,

I've spoken to a lady who had IVF treatment abroad and done research online, but I don't feel it's right for us. I'm not keen on the fact you have to be available at a moment's notice to fly for treatment and after flights and accommodation it didn't work out any more cost efficient.

We're both pretty healthy (don't smoke, not overweight, drink occasionally) so there aren't any drastic measure we need to take other than cutting back on the mince pies at the moment!

I just feel in limbo: if we go ahead, could I face it not working again? It's just an awful situation to be stuck in year after year.

JoJoSM2 Tue 24-Oct-17 08:59:20

If you feel like you'd like to carry on trying with own eggs, then it'd be worth a try to go to one of the top clinics in London. I think the Lister is very successful with POF ladies (?)

The also understand that you're both healthy, but you might as well throw everything at it and be extra healthy, do supplements for both etc. I can actually make a difference.

Acupuncture is also good.

LoveableLou Tue 24-Oct-17 13:55:48

Logistically it wouldn't be possible to go to London as we're a 3 hour drive away, but I've heard good things about lots of clinics there.

I've had acupuncture which was lovely and definitely something I'd go for again. Like you say, we might as well throw everything at it - I'm pretty certain this will be our last go. I can't stand the hope/disappointment cycle we're stuck in.

JoJoSM2 Tue 24-Oct-17 14:19:17

Really sorry it’s been so awful for you and I hope that your new clinic does a much better job flowers

LoveableLou Tue 24-Oct-17 14:32:15

Thank you, that's really kind x

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 24-Oct-17 15:17:45

I would look abroad again at de - only as you say you have low reserve and quality . Many on here have first rate exp and success first time

Many clinics do packages and is often half the price of uk de including flights

Yes to a certain extent it's a moments notice but it's also not. Likely to get 5daya notice from ec from donor to day 5 and egg transfer

And the clinic will keep you informed to how donor is and when she starts cycle so you will have rough idea to when ec and et will be tho Obv these can change by a day or so according to treatment but same with own egg ivf

Or you can have a holiday there and relax

Speak to clinics via skpe to get a feel of things

Serum Athens
Reprofit and gest Prague
Ivi Alicante

Are all mentioned a lot on these boards for de and there is a section for de as well

Obv if you really feel de isn't for you then that's your prorogative - just friends who I know who did de and so happy with their outcome

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 24-Oct-17 15:19:23

And I totally understand the hope /disappointment. I ha 4 failed ivf and then 5th hit the jackpot but it's such an emotional rolarcoaster

Scottishgirl85 Tue 24-Oct-17 16:10:09

I know it seems like a tough option but honestly going abroad is much easier than it sounds! We went to Czech Republic (own eggs) and it cost less than a third of UK prices including travel and accommodation, plus we turned it into a nice holiday. Wishing you all the best with your decision x

clairettc Tue 24-Oct-17 20:27:51

Hi, sorry to hear the position you are in. I am the beginning of my journey by have raised FSH and male factors to so looking at IVF but reduced chances due to my POF. Do you mind me asking how old you are?

I don’t know about clinics abroad but BCRM is having huge problems and will transfer to bath fertility clinic next month for a lot of their services as they are struggling financially. So this may effect your decision - but not sure when your open day was and you could call them to discuss. X

Cherubneddy1 Tue 24-Oct-17 20:45:43

It's really tough, I feel for you.

I have/had v low ovarian reserve (0.7 Amh). I had an unsuccessful IVF at BCRM, 1 unsuccessful IVF at The Lister, and then one successful DEIVF at CRM London. Following that, I had a successful natural pregnancy too ( no idea how!)

Not sure why you won't consider London; I live in Devon, so a 5 hour each way trip to London. So worth it though. I didn't want DE abroad as both DH and I are blonde hair and blue eyes which can be harder to find abroad.

Good luck.

welshweasel Tue 24-Oct-17 21:50:11

Honestly, in your position and if you really want to give it your best shot then I'd go to London or abroad. I wouldn't waste my money going to Bristol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now