Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Infertility Shock...

(15 Posts)
Mew1031 Wed 18-Oct-17 17:28:28

Came back from appointment with fertility consultant this afternoon. DH’s sperm count less than 1 million. We were told conception wouldn’t happen naturally. I am so shocked and devestated. Consultant said that we will go down the ICIS route if Husband has 20-30 normal sperm. I never even questioned that we wouldn’t be eligible for medical intervention. I am so shocked right now.
Does anyone have any words of wisdom, success stories, positivity or tips?
I’m a regular poster on conception but I’ve changed my name and decided to post on here. Not sure why that’s relevant but my head is swimming and I feel very emotional at the moment.

Scottishgirl85 Wed 18-Oct-17 17:55:19

Firstly, sending you flowers as it's really tough to hear that news. I was in your position hearing that news 4 years ago. My husband has a count of less than 100,000 with 0% morphology. We were eligible for NHS ivf funding but miraculously conceived naturally just beforehand, so it's not impossible but highly unlikely. We've since very recently had successful ivf for no.2. As long as there are 20 or so live sperm, ivf essentially 'solves' low sperm count problem. Stay positive, if you've been told less than a million it does sound like there will be enough to work with. Wishing you so much good luck x

Scottishgirl85 Wed 18-Oct-17 17:57:33

Do you have a follow up appointment? Has your consultant confirmed that there is enough, or are they repeating the test and that's why you're still not sure? x

JoJoSM2 Wed 18-Oct-17 18:01:53

We've had ICSI too. As my MIL reminds me, were incredibly lucky as back in her day, there was no options. The first ICSI baby was only born in 1992!

I know it's horrible when you first get your diagnosis but at least you now know how to overcome the problem.

Words of wisdom: make sure you have a healthy lifestyle and get into supplements, e.g. Proxeed or Profertil for both of you.

Mew1031 Wed 18-Oct-17 18:32:36

Thank you for your replies. Feeling so confused and shocked, it is as if I’m living someone else’s life.
JoJo yes that is a positive to think about. DH is taking Fertilaid, would you recommend Proxeed or Profertil as well?
Scottishgirl85 DH went for a blood test straight after our appontment to test for hormones (I think...) and he has been booked in for a scan. He said he would write to us and hoping treatment could start in the new year. I feel very confused as we know his sperm count is <1 million but haven’t been told the exact amount. On his bloody test sheet it said ‘severe sperm problems’. Whatever that means.
Lovely to hear you have been successful when conceiving naturally and with IVF.
The big shocker was that the consultant said he only needs 20-30 sperm... I hope DH can manage that!

JoJoSM2 Wed 18-Oct-17 19:30:07

Makes sense they would do blood tests for hormones. They could also do the karyotyping. Just looked up Fertilaid online - looks very good too.

And yes, with ICSI, they only need one good sperm per egg retrieved. Most women produce 10-20 eggs in IVF. So if he’s got thousands, they should be able to find a few good ones.

clairettc Thu 19-Oct-17 07:48:48

Hi @Mew1031 , sorry to hear about your shock.

We have MFI and are going to IVF in the new year. The shock for us is that my FSH is also high (although I’m only 31) so I might not respond to the drugs for IVF. It’s devastating to know our chances of IVF being successful are low. And that lots of centres won’t attempt IVF with my FSH level. I’m currently waiting on AMH.

I’m someone who naturally imagines worse case scenario and been thinking about donor eggs etc but my husband is being positive - which is good.

I keep my fingers crossed for you - all you can do in the meantime is try all the lifestyle factors and try not to freak out too much xx

Blueberrysandgrapes76 Thu 19-Oct-17 08:02:30

I’m sorry to hear that but is there a bright side in all this - at least you know what is wrong. Many people go through years of unexplained fertility and that’s so tough as they don’t know if ivf will work or what they can do to fix it. At least you know if you can get a few good sperm out of him there’s a good chance your treatment will work. It only takes 1 good sperm. Wishing you guys all the best - in 4 months time you could be pregnant?!

cherryontopp Thu 19-Oct-17 12:08:56

It's very unnerving going from happily trying to conceive, thinking itll happen eventually to be told you'll need IVF.

I had unexplained infertility (slight PCO but ovulated regularly) so every month I thought this might be it.
Nothing for 2 years and when the consultant referred us for IVF, I went into shock. Couldn't believe it had came to fertility treatment.
Once the shock is done with, you'll need a matter or a fact attitude and just go with the flow. Hope everything works out for you.

Mew1031 Mon 23-Oct-17 09:29:26

I agree Cherry, there needs to be a matter of fact attitude now. I feel lucky that we have the opportunity to go through this.

We had a letter today from the consultation to say DH had ‘extremely reduced numbers of sperm so while a spontaneous pregnancy is possibly, it is highly unlikely.” Does this mean there are actually sperm there?!

Scottishgirl85 Mon 23-Oct-17 09:47:21

Yes I would certainly interpret that to mean there are sperm there, fab news!!!

JoJoSM2 Mon 23-Oct-17 10:15:35

I would take it to mean that there are some sperms there - perhaps just enough for ICSI or perhaps standard IVF.

Scottishgirl85 Mon 23-Oct-17 11:19:18

Standard ivf requires 5 million I believe, so I'd presume you'd be icsi given your initial message of less than 1 million. Got everything crossed for you x

Mew1031 Mon 23-Oct-17 12:23:37

Yes we have discussed being given ICSI but the initial shock was, would there be enough sperm for ICSI. I was concerned that DH might have NOA as his testes measure 6&8 (can’t recall the units) and normal was between 12-18?
Feeling more hopeful now, FX for us all smile

SarahJones11 Fri 03-Nov-17 16:04:56

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now