Talk

Advanced search

Low AMH - IVF or egg donation?!

(11 Posts)
rachelg1974 Mon 16-Oct-17 23:58:27

Hi there, I'm 42 and my AMH is 0.8. All other blood tests have come back within range. I have seen the Lister, CRGH and the NHS, and have had conflicting advice. CRGH doubted my chances of getting pregnant naturally or with IVF and recommended egg donation. The Lister wasn't very optimistic but would try IVF first. And the NHS doctor was generally less pessimistic and suggested IVF.

I can't actually have treatment on the NHS as I already have a child, conceived naturally after 3 months when I was 40. So either I was very lucky then or my fertility has dropped off the cliff!

Any advice on clinics who might be more supportive of IVF? Or positive stories? I am open to egg donation but would like to try IVF first unless it's deemed a total waste of time and money.

Thanks so much x

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 17-Oct-17 20:14:45

Honestly

.8 is low fertility

I would research abroad and use de instead of own coz of your age and low amh

Abroad is much cheaper for ivf and de

I was 42 on my 3rd cycle but had good amh so used own eggs

Went to ivi in Spain and with icsi and much better technology imo and managed to freeze 6

I've heard serum Athens and gest and reprofit Prague /chez are meant to be good for de

Chattycat78 Tue 17-Oct-17 20:22:09

Your problem is twofold- 1 - you are likely to respond badly to the ivf due to your low amh- resulting in few eggs being produced; and 2- any eggs which are produced are likely to be of a less good quality because of your age.

I think the above poster is probably right.

I did ivf myself age 35 with low amh and I only got 2 eggs - but one of those became a bfp, so yes it does only take 1, but it needs to be a good one.

You could potentially also try all the supplements etc for egg quality and give it a bit longer. How long have u been trying?

Snowdog37 Wed 18-Oct-17 05:58:47

My Amh was 0.22 and then 0.08 so no chance of Ivf with my own eggs. I went straight to donor eggs at Praga Medica Gest in Prague in June and am currently nearly 20w with a healthy little boy! It was an easy process and worked first time. Way less stressful than trying to get my own crapped out ovaries to produce anything. I highly recommend my clinic and donor eggs in general.

JoJoSM2 Wed 18-Oct-17 07:10:31

Well, I totally understand if you’re not ready to move onto DE. If you’ve got the money, you could as well try IVF first and take stock later. However, as PP you will probably have very poor response on max stimms + 90% od eggs at that age are duds. So the overall odds are very small.

Did any of the doctors said that your chances with IVF were any higher than with trying naturally? How long have you been trying?

One good thing about DE is that you don’t need to rush as you can still get one in a year or two if trying with your own doesn’t work.

harry78 Thu 19-Oct-17 20:25:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JoJoSM2 Thu 19-Oct-17 21:49:02

Harry, that’s spectacular! Statistically, number of antral follicles is 1.5xAMH so you’ve really beaten the odds smile

helterskelter99 Thu 19-Oct-17 21:51:45

CRGH only care about their results so ignore them
Lister are good with older mothers
I went with Hammersmith and it took us 3 goes and a lot of tears but we got there
I also had acupuncture stopped drinking and went a bit mad but it was worth it xx

harry78 Fri 20-Oct-17 05:29:16

harry78 Fri 20-Oct-17 11:55:17

ImpyDimpy Sat 21-Oct-17 22:07:52

We went onto donor egg because I only ever produced one egg on my AMH of .57

Worked first time after many, many years of TTC. We went to IVI Alicante.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now