Talk

Advanced search

Recurring Miscarriage at 38 yrs old

(21 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

OrlaD Mon 16-Oct-17 11:22:23

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the network. I am just so devasted and wanted to reach out and get some advice from other ladies who may have experienced the same thing, and perhaps hear some success stories...

I'm 38 years old. My husband and I have been ttc for 1yr and 10months, within this time I have miscarried twice and also had a laproscopic myomectomy to remove fibroids, in April of this year. My last miscarriage happened last week, at 5 weeks pregnant and my AMH is 5.9. I can't sleep with the stress of thinking that we have missed our chance.

Has anyone out there gone through something similar and gone on to have a successful pregnancy? I'm terrified I will never have a child.

OrlaD
x

RavingRoo Mon 16-Oct-17 11:53:13

Have you seen an gaenecologist?

OrlaD Mon 16-Oct-17 11:58:25

Hello RavingRoo,

I have, they have advised me to try naturally again for the next 4 months and, if nothing happens, to try IVF in February/March. The only thing I'm worried about is time, I turn 39 in January.

I had 4 fibroids removed in early April of this year but unfortunately they missed one. It's very small at 1.37cm. Otherwise everything else is normal. My cycle is regular and I have been tracking my ovulation.

I am just so upset after this 2nd miscarriage.

OrlaD

RavingRoo Mon 16-Oct-17 13:20:54

Ok. I suppose there’s nothing stopping you from going directly to a private clinic. At 38 you might be able to get an Access Fertility partial refund deal if you buy 3 cycles together. At the IVF clinic they provide progesterone pessiaries post ET and so that might possibly reduce your miscarriage risk.

But I’m also tempted to say as you can get pregnant, you might just want to keep trying. I think they say that medical intervention for recurrant miscarriage isn’t recommended until you have 3 in a row. Sounds awful but 2 miscarriages could statistically have been ‘bad luck’.

OrlaD Mon 16-Oct-17 13:37:25

Thanks RavingRoo, I really appreciate your perspective. I was put on 400mg of progesterone pessiaries and baby asprin for this last pregnancy but my HCG was 12.9 at 4weeks, so it didn't work.

I guess you are right, I will keep trying and then go for IVF if it doesn't work by February. It's just so so hard, I feel emotionally exhausted and a complete failure. Time is also a factor but I guess there is no controlling any of it.

OrlaD

RavingRoo Mon 16-Oct-17 13:45:05

I know what you mean. I’m only a bit younger than you, and feel insecure with the whole infertility thing - can’t help comparing myself to friends and family who have less of an agegap between parent and child, but there’s nothing that can be done about it. Think of it this way - at least you know, without a shadow of a doubt, that you can get pregnant. The miscarriage part can be sorted out medically later. Sounds horrible I know, but with infertility it helps to just take things one step at a time.

OrlaD Mon 16-Oct-17 16:35:21

Thank you RavingRoo

Marriageoftrueminds Mon 30-Oct-17 17:24:19

Hi there OP, how are you now? I’m miscarrying also at the moment from being around 4 seems pregnant ( the bleeding started last Sunday) and I’m getting very stressed worrying about complications - I keep thinking I’m having an ectopic pregnancy as I’ve bled loads but I’m still getting positive pregnancy tests. I keep trying to tell myself that’s probably normal but I have a blood test on Friday to confirm my hCG is dropping. Isn’t it stressful! Hope you’re feeling better x

rabbeca Sun 19-Nov-17 00:47:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

joelleissac Sun 19-Nov-17 02:15:01

nicolajimmy Sun 19-Nov-17 02:54:43

cadence Sun 19-Nov-17 03:43:13

joannehurbert Sun 19-Nov-17 04:20:31

susannajim Sun 19-Nov-17 05:37:53

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 19-Nov-17 09:59:28

Hi OP,

So sorry for all the deletions on your thread. We've had a problem with spammers on these boards - we've zapped the suspect posts and banned a number of posters now.

jimijack Sun 19-Nov-17 10:03:29

Hi, I've had 7 miscarriages then had my son at aged 43 having given up all hope.
Don't lose hope xx

emmadove Sun 19-Nov-17 17:34:25

Patienceisvirtuous Tue 21-Nov-17 22:32:03

Hi Op.

I had 3 miscarriages age 36-38. Fell pregnant a fourth time (after testing and a treatment protocol planned) which worked. Now have a 6mo ds - i’m 40 in a couple of weeks.

I was found to have a clotting issue so took aspirin, heparin, and progesterone/vit d/pregnacare plus.

Get the usual tests done (at a private clinic if you don’t want to ‘wait ‘til you’ve had a third’ mc for nhs tests) - as mentioned above, could have just been bad luck... Also worth getting in touch with Coventry implantation Clinic - see Prof Quenby/Brosens re natural killer cells testing.

Good luck, you’ll get there x

fififa Thu 23-Nov-17 15:03:15

Hi, I am sorry to know yr story. Unfortunately it might happen that a woman experiences mcs. Recurrent pregnancy loss and/or chemical pregnancy is historically defined as 3 consecutive pregnancy losses/cp prior to 20 weeks from the last menstrual period. 3 and less cp/mcs are considered to have been due to chance. Most hospitals offer to do tests or investigations only if a woman has experienced three or more miscarriages/cp in a row. Possible reasons are: immune issues, abnormal chromosomes (can be discovered using PGS NGS technique), infections and others. As y experienced only 2 mcs I would recommend staying positive and continue ttc-ing Fingers crossed xx

counterpoint Thu 23-Nov-17 15:26:43

Hiya - similar problems here but I read a book at the time which I believed helped. I'm sorry I can't remember the title. It was 20 years ago and a few years later I leant it to a friend who had similar problems and within a few months of putting into practice the recommendations she also conceived. But I never got the book back.
The basic gist was to avoid water straight from the tap without running it through till fresh. This was because pipe joint work uses some heavy metal (strontium?) which causes miscarriages. The other tip which I followed was to avoid gardening as there is a weed (rue?) which also causes miscarriages. Those were the two basic things I followed (we had plumbing work done a few years earlier and I thought it made sense to run the tap before drinking).
I'll see if I can get a handle on the book title if you're interested.

counterpoint Thu 23-Nov-17 15:27:57

Oh, the other thing was to check for anaemia and thyroid problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now