Talk

Advanced search

Unexplained infertility - anyone ever changed "unexplained" to "explained?"

(39 Posts)
GlummyMummy Tue 26-Sep-17 20:07:50

I'm intrigued if anyone on here has had unexplained infertility for a while, and had several failed IVFs, and then gone on to discover there was something wrong with either partner that hadn't previously been discovered?

I feel sure that there's always an explanation and nothing is ever unexplained. Unsure if I'm just not being offered the right tests!!

430West Tue 26-Sep-17 20:13:06

Yes, I think you're right, but it might not just be a case of the front tests being offered, more likely that the right tests have yet to be invented.

I guess I see 'Unexplained' is being a shorthand for 'there is something wrong, but medical science hasn't advanced to a point where we know what it is, or how to treat it'

Unexplained =/= Nothing wrong.

430West Tue 26-Sep-17 20:14:34

case of the right tests...

GlummyMummy Tue 26-Sep-17 20:20:58

Makes sense West. I'm keen to know if anyone has battled with unexplained infertility and then following a change of approach/new clinic or new treatment, has gone on to conceive.

Been reading a lot about NK cells for example, or women who've had scar tissue removed (after many years of failed treatment) which was preventing them conceiving.

430West Tue 26-Sep-17 20:42:52

The trouble is, whatever the problem turns out to be, IVF is the only treatment available, so there is little benefit in wasting money and effort in seeking a precise diagnosis when you would need to have IVF anyway.

For example, the Chicago tests (for Immune issues) are incredibly expensive, I would wonder if you would be better off using that money for an additional IVF cycle or 2?

Do you mind my asking what treatment have you had so far, and how that's gone?

430West Tue 26-Sep-17 20:44:40

Oh, just seen 'several failed IVFs'. I'm sorry to hear that.

At what stage did they fail?

jordanmum Tue 26-Sep-17 20:49:27

Had 2 children after being diagnosed with unexplained infertility both with IVF.
I've never used birth control in 15 years and never fell pregnant naturally.
I still feel that maybe they missed something.

eurochick Tue 26-Sep-17 20:58:48

It's a very frustrating non-diagnosis. I will always wonder why we didn't conceive naturally (we did get there eventually with ivf).

The immune stuff is interesting and I wonder if that is the answer for some. I thought it might be for us but I had no immune treatment on the cycle that worked).

GlummyMummy Tue 26-Sep-17 21:44:36

We have a three year old from our first IVF attempt. We were so lucky, and probably naively expected this luck might continue, but since then we've had another four failed attempts. Similar to you, Jordanmum, the only positive test result we've ever had was on that first IVF round.

I'm sure there must be a reason we've never conceived naturally in over 6 years of trying. Our clinic aren't really suggesting anything, they say as our embryo quality is good etc etc that we should just keep on doing the same, ie more IVF until it eventually succeeds again. I'm reluctant to spend more money on IVF again, without further investigation.

I suspect I have lining issues as it's a lot thinner now than it was on our first IVF go. But the clinic say it's over their required 7mm. I've tried acupuncture, endo scratch, baby aspirin etc. Not sure what else they can do for thinnish lining, but don't see much point wasting good embryos if it's only getting up to 8mm. I do wonder if I may have scar tissue from childbirth but Drs reckon not, as although my periods are much lighter now, I am still getting regular periods.

My AMH is low, but there again it's not really a diagnosis.

Bit unsure where to go from here really, is there anything else others have tried that proved successful?

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 27-Sep-17 00:02:11

Unexplained for 10yrs while ttc with 2different partners tho both their sperm
was fine

. I should get preg but don't. Hence they call it unexplained

4 failed ivf then 5th worked and dd is 6mths thur

I won't ever know why 4 failed and one worked

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 27-Sep-17 00:03:02

Tho I will add my lining was always 1.1 - both clinics we tried wouldn't do under 8mm

JoJoSM2 Wed 27-Sep-17 00:11:24

Immunes could be an issue.

We're your embryos good blasts? Has your partner had sperm fragmentation tested?

GlummyMummy Wed 27-Sep-17 06:52:12

Hi Blondes!!!! When you changed clinic, did they offer anything different or new?

JoJo - I do wonder if immune testing would be worthwhile, it's such an expense though and a minefield, don't really know where to begin! Have you had it done?

JoJoSM2 Wed 27-Sep-17 07:34:46

Hi Glummy, I haven't had the need to have immunes done. Have you had a look Fertility Friends? There's a separate section for immunes with lots of people's stories.

Mrsfw Wed 27-Sep-17 07:37:50

I'm quite a fan of certain diagnostic tests..🙂 We've had numerous failed cycles. Was unexplained for a long time but PGS testing was the one that offered the most clarity for me.

I always had top quality blasts but none implanted- we discovered I had chromosomal issues. It is an expense but otherwise we would have kept putting back embryos back that all would have failed. (Also an expense!)
Good luck on your journey x

Blueberrysandgrapes76 Wed 27-Sep-17 07:42:28

Yes - I know people that eventually found out they had a genetic problem. This was on the male side btw - I think you are too quick to blame yourself as the cause- it could well be a gene problem with his sperm.

Nakedavenger74 Wed 27-Sep-17 07:43:15

Everything working perfectly on both sides but nothing came of 6 years of trying. Off for IVF. V high quality eggs despite age. Nothing stuck. After 3rd round of IVF they found a small amount of fluid in a tube. A Hydrosalpinx which leaks into uterus and kills embryos. Dealing with it would have meant surgery and tube removal. By that point I was 42 and about to move to the other side of the world so never dealt with it...

Blueberrysandgrapes76 Wed 27-Sep-17 07:43:57

Ps the way many gene problems work is that 75% are unviable embryos and 25% viable hence why you could have had your healthy son and still have an issue

MissWilmottsGhost Wed 27-Sep-17 07:49:34

Yes, we were diagnosed with unexplained infertility.

Turned out I had an autoimmune disease that caused miscarriages.

cherryontopp Wed 27-Sep-17 10:39:37

I've had years of unexplained infertility. I have polycystic ovaries but still ovulate regularly. We done IVF in May and thankfully it worked.
Nakedavenger Before my IVF my fertility nurse said I may have one blocked tube, a hydrosalpinx. Never said anything it could look my embryo, she had no concerns and my 20 week baby is have a roll around now as I type. Strange

Salva91 Wed 27-Sep-17 12:28:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

zippybear Wed 27-Sep-17 13:07:32

Wow Salva you have a lot of infertile sisters.... unless this is more spam for ukranian clinic?!

GlummyMummy Wed 27-Sep-17 16:15:44

Thanks all.

Mrsfw- what happened after your PGS testing was done? My clinic dont offer this and I'm unsure whether it's worth paying to get this done elsewhere , when i could be spending more money on IVF cycles instead.

LisaSimpsonsbff Wed 27-Sep-17 18:46:19

Sorry to jump on this thread as I'm in a bit of a different position, but I just wanted to say that if you're thinking of the Coventry NK cells testing then that's £540, which isn't really very much if we're talking IVF money.

Chivey Thu 28-Sep-17 07:59:15

Just picking up on the chromosome/genetic comments - have you had karyotyping done? Not sure if clinics offer this as standard but if not, you should definitely request it, its a simple blood test of you and your DP and not expensive. I found out about my chromosome issue after testing on a TFMR and it explained the early MCs and difficulties getting pregnant. I'm in a FB support group, and there are so many people there who had one (or more) healthy child no problem before finding out later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now