Talk

Advanced search

IVF - are we being stupid?

(25 Posts)
topcat2014 Sat 23-Sep-17 13:36:14

I am 46 and DW is (just) 43.

We have one DC(10) and would like another.

Not happened the usual way - are we being stupid to think about IVF, should we just forget it all and get a dog?

TheVanguardSix Sat 23-Sep-17 13:41:10

Awww... the dog is an excellent idea.
We had our last DC surprisingly at 42. Not IVF but still...
If you have the means to do it and really want another child, go for it!! Lots of women are having babies up to the age of 45 naturally and through IVF.
You're not being stupid at all! You're still in the game. Good luck to you.

I'm a total dog fanatic and actually, we got a dog when I was 43 and going through a sort of "We're done with making babies" bereavement. I found it very, very healing to get a dog. It lifted me out of my slump and helped me come to terms with the closing of my fertile window, if that makes sense. The problem is, now I want more dogs. smile

Polly99 Sat 23-Sep-17 13:42:41

My doctor told me he gets reasonable results until about age 43 and then it becomes difficult.
The thing is, IVF success rates are low for anyone, and even worse when you are older. Are donor eggs an option?

SerfTerf Sat 23-Sep-17 13:44:27

If you're prepared to consider donor gametes as a possibility, there's no reason why your chances shouldn't still be good.

topcat2014 Sat 23-Sep-17 13:49:30

Thanks for lifting my spirits!

margasid1 Sat 23-Sep-17 18:19:57

My work colleague had twins in February. IVF in Spain, she is 45, healthy babies. Won’t hurt to go for consultation. Good luck with the babe or dog whatever you decide smile

Persipan Sat 23-Sep-17 19:22:25

Realistically, with your own eggs the chances would be extremely small. But if you'd be prepared to consider donor eggs then your odds are much the same as those of a younger woman.

Viviennemary Sat 23-Sep-17 19:24:13

Why not. But agree you've a much better chance if you consider donor eggs. But look into it and see what the experts advise.

Beardedandbalded Sat 23-Sep-17 19:24:34

Yes with donor egg. Look at Lister, they are good with older women.

EarlGreyT Sat 23-Sep-17 19:45:43

margasid1 I would put money on your colleague having used donor eggs. The chance of successful ivf with own eggs at 45 is very low, it's much more likely she used a donor.

JoJoSM2 Sat 23-Sep-17 21:21:06

Yes, a chance of IVF with own eggs working in your mid 40's is less than 1%. So a donor egg might be the only option.

margasid1 Sat 23-Sep-17 22:27:15

EarlGreyT yes donors for both egg and sperm, forgot to add this sorry.

anamika12 Sat 23-Sep-17 23:12:40

Had my first cycle of Icsi.. doctor told me i m having 7 eggs of good size and 3 small and asked me to have 10000 dose of pregnyl to mature eggs. On collection day I was being told they 4 eggs matured and are good. Next day got call only.1 fertilised and today morning got a call saying cycle is failed. Can anyone please advice me why this happened. Even sperms they got were good in quality

anamika12 Sun 24-Sep-17 07:31:47

Had my first cycle of Icsi.. doctor told me i m having 7 eggs of good size and 3 small and asked me to have 10000 dose of pregnyl to mature eggs. On collection day I was being told they 4 eggs matured and are good. Next day got call only.1 fertilised and today morning got a call saying cycle is failed. Can anyone please advice me why this happened. Even sperms they got were good in quality

physicskate Sun 24-Sep-17 09:14:33

I'm really sorry anamika. It can happen for a huge variety of reasons. How old are you?

JoJoSM2 Sun 24-Sep-17 10:04:08

Anamika, at this stage it's most likely due to poor egg quality although there could be other reasons too.

NoImBridgetJones Sun 24-Sep-17 19:04:30

I'm so sorry anamika flowers

anamika12 Sun 24-Sep-17 23:09:08

Hi I m 30 years old.... gowing to hospital almost 3 year but no luck...

anamika12 Sun 24-Sep-17 23:10:42

Dear JoJoSm2 on first day don't told me quality of egg is good enough to get positive results

JoJoSM2 Mon 25-Sep-17 07:24:16

Anamika, just re-read your post. Lack of fertilisation is due to poor sperm quality. Embryos arresting on day 2 will be down to the RNA from the eggs as the parents DNA is not activated at that stage.

I'm sorry it's been so bad for you and wish you better luck next cycle.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 27-Sep-17 00:18:45

Not being silly. If you feel you want to try for andkjrr baby and have the money to private ivf then yes go for it

I would agree about de - giving you the best chance

Tho I was 42.5 when had 3rd ivf and although failed I had some left to freeze and dd was out 5th try a fet

So yes it can happen with own eggs and clinics always said my amh and gah very good for my age - but it is rarer over 40 for success

Salva91 Wed 27-Sep-17 12:38:27

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

zippybear Wed 27-Sep-17 13:08:28

Wow Salva you have a lot of infertile relatives.... unless this is more spam for ukranian clinic?!

resbutterfly Mon 02-Oct-17 06:35:21

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

physicskate Mon 02-Oct-17 06:54:01

Res - I am sure you mean well, but the reality is that not all of us will have children and there are other ways to 'complete the home.'

Your post comes across as very insensitive...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now