Advanced search

3rd or more time lucky - IVF cycle buddies October

(573 Posts)
Hobbes39 Wed 13-Sep-17 16:15:32

Hi Just wondering of there are folks on here who are about to go through their 3rd + time of IVF who want a cycle buddy? I dont mean it badly towards anyone who is starting their IVF journey for the first time, (i was there just this time last year after all) but I feel a bit like I cant be as optomistic about it as I was, so dont want to drag any first timers down? Hope that makes sense!
Anyway, just to explain about me:
TTC #2 for over 2.5 years now
Unexplained Secondary Infertility (have 4 year old DS)
Age 40.5 shock
AMH: 15.4
2 failed fresh and 1 falied FET (with single frozen 3BB embryo we got from 2nd fresh round)
about to start 3rd fresh round when my period starts in approx 7-10 days, so will probably be late october EC.
anyone else a bit jaded, but still vaguely hopeful want to join me?

geeup Wed 13-Sep-17 21:06:55

I don't start my FET till Nov so won't join but wanted to say I'll be lurking and cheering from the sidelines hobbes. Good luck to you my cycle buddy!

Hobbes39 Wed 13-Sep-17 22:48:36

Thanks Gee - I think my jaded hope might not appeal to many, so do pop by to keep me company! grin it's got to work this time, surely?! 🤞

geeup Thu 14-Sep-17 08:30:09

Well statistically I feel like we're getting close. I agree with you I'm feeling pretty low about it all but hoping with some changes (mainly increased progesterone) that we have a better chance.

lulahbelle Thu 14-Sep-17 19:08:20

Hi Hobbes and gee, I don't expect you'll remember me but I was on the March/April thread with you. My fresh cycle that time wasn't successful so I went straight on to a frozen transfer in June. Got a BFP but had a missed miscarriage at 7 weeks. We were hoping to transfer our remaining frozen embryo this month but I now need some additional tests since it turned out it wasn't a chromosomal abnormality that caused the miscarriage so it looks like October now.

Was so sorry to hear that both your last cycles didn't work - definitely hoping for third time lucky for all of us!

Hobbes39 Thu 14-Sep-17 19:34:09

Hi lulah - so sorry to hear about your missed miscarriage from your FET that's so cruel. flowers did you have PGS testing on your embryos?
What tests are they going to do? I hope that they can help xx
Fingers crossed for 3rd time lucky for you xx
And yes Gee I feel the stats should mean we are getting closer x 🤞

lulahbelle Thu 14-Sep-17 21:43:20

Definitely agree on the stats - it's got to be our turn to be in the lucky percentages sometime soon surely! It is hard though to keep optimistic so was delighted to see your thread pop up since it's nice to have people to talk to who understand why you feel jaded.

I didn't have PGS done - they tested the embryo after the d&c and found it was normal so am having a thrombophilia screen to see if there are any blood clotting issues.

Is your clinic suggesting you do anything differently this round Hobbes? I think you mentioned you might ask for more progesterone in a previous thread?

Gee, hope all goes well in November for you!

Coco24 Thu 14-Sep-17 22:56:56

Hi hobbes, gee and lulah, its hope2409 i've name changed, i was with you all on the march/april thread!

I just wanted to pop by and say good luck to you all, i am cheering you all on, its nice to see so many familiar names although it's so unfair we are all still here. Fingers crossed for 3rd time lucky!

lulah i'm so sorry to hear about your mmc, it is just so cruel.

We had our remaining embryo transferred on Tuesday so just waiting now to see if its 3rd time lucky for us x

lulahbelle Fri 15-Sep-17 07:50:57

Hi coco, lovely to hear from you! I think you ended up in a similar situation to me in your last cycle didn't you (BFP then a miscarriage) - if so, I'm so sorry flowers. (If I've got that totally wrong - sorry!) Fingers crossed it's third time lucky for you - let us know how you get on!

Coco24 Fri 15-Sep-17 10:30:41

Hi lulah yep i did end up in a similar situation, mmc at 7 weeks, ended up going on for ages as i had an mva procedure done initially but a few weeks later was still having symptoms and positive tests and turns out the procedure failed, got booked in for a d&c but miscarried at home myself 2 days before i was due to go in. It was all pretty traumatic and wasnt over till end of June and i got my BFP in April!
But we soldier on don't we, keeping our fingers crossed!
When do you get your test results back? X

2014newme Fri 15-Sep-17 10:59:34

Worked for me on 4th icsi. Changed clinic and threw everything at it.
Good luck to you all.

geeup Fri 15-Sep-17 17:18:14

Hi @lulahbelle @Coco24 hope we're a lucky contingent. Sorry again about your miscarriages. I managed a chemical but only lasted a few days.
@2014newme hi - when you say you threw everything at it, what did you try?

Hobbes39 Fri 15-Sep-17 20:54:26

Hey Coco Glad you found us! Have everything crossed for you - how you doing?
Lulah I didn't actually realise they could test an embryo from a d&c - while a horrible thing to have to go through, the one positive is that you will hopefully get some answers now xx
We aren't doing anything much different this time, slightly higher stims possibly, (300 rather than 225) but otherwise same as before... I keep being told that failure so far is statistically to be expected at my age, so they seem to think that we just need to keep trying... I hope they are right 🤞. how soon do you get results of your tests?

lulahbelle Sat 16-Sep-17 16:23:10

That sounds horrific coco flowers Hope you're feeling better physically and mentally and that this round has a happier ending!

Really sorry to hear about your chemical gee - it's so cruel to get your hopes up and then have them disappointed like that flowers

Hope the slightly higher stims do the trick this time hobbes. Haven't had the screen yet - it's taking ages as we're trying to get them done on the NHS to save a bit of money so there's been a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between the clinic and my GP to get it authorised - hoping to get the blood tests done next week.

Hope you're all having good weekends!

Coco24 Sun 17-Sep-17 22:39:13

Yep i found you ok hobbes i kept a look out for your thread!
I'm doing ok thanks actually looking forward to getting bck to work tomorrow in the hope that the time passes a bit quicker, this waiting is dragging on. I've had no symptoms at all and just want to know if its worked or not.

gee so sorry to hear about your chemical it really is just shit.

Thanks lulah me too! I hope they hurry up and get your blood tests done soon so that you can sort out moving on to your next round.

Hope everyone has had a lovely weekend xxx

Hobbes39 Mon 18-Sep-17 07:40:46

Morning all - hope everyone had a good weekend?
Coco - I know these next few days will really drag, so yes, hopefully work can take you mind off it and pass the time a bit quicker, although I was so unproductive in my tww's I'm glad in my own boss, as otherwise I'd be worried about the boss having a word! grin hang in there, I really do have everything crossed for you, I think I'll be almost as happy as you if you get a BFP! X
AFM my body is doing its usual thing of going haywire pre IVF - I've been spotting since Friday, and started cramping now - actually pretty sure I didn't ovulate last month now as was temping and temps went down about 3 days after they went up sad. I'm fairly sure before all this ivf lark that I did ovulate pretty much every month, but it's all thrown me, which does make me sad that trying normally is even more of a waste of time now...
anyway, upside is that I should be starting soon as my period must be just round the corner. Hurray! confused

Decafplease Mon 18-Sep-17 12:24:00

Hi ladies!
I am on my 3rd try, transferred on tuesday, like you coco, now in the dreaded 2ww. Had an NHS freeze all cycle last year, no success. Had to move to private, fresh transfer failed july, now FET. I was briefly on the regular cycle buddies thread, but i feel too jaded after 3 years TTC and 2 cycles down. Everyone else seemed so excited at each step,
while it almost feels routine to me now, inject-tablet-tablet-inject-pessary and repeat...
Hope this is the cycle it pays off for us all! Good luck!

Coco24 Mon 18-Sep-17 12:48:59

Welcome decaf i'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! What day do you test? I'm back at work today after a few days off, i thought it might distract me but its all i can think about!!!
Like you i found i was too jaded to be on other threads where they were all excited about first injections etc... after several rounds it just becomes the norm! I'm glad hobbes started this thread!

hobbes sorry to hear your body is messing about, bloody typical isnt it, although i think we forget just how much our bodies go through with it all! Keeping fingers crossed that your next post is to tell us that AF is here properly!!!

Anyway bck to work, hope everyones having a good day xx

Decafplease Tue 19-Sep-17 11:08:47

hobbes i was the same, totally clockwork before IVF, but now all to the wind. Just goes to show how hard we are trying, and how much we put ourselves through!
coco my clinic says test 16 days post transfer! I probably wont be able to wait so long, thinking of testing this weekend, so DH & i have weekend to come to terms with whatever the results are. I think i have a phobia of pee sticks now, after so many disappointments, almost scared of testing...Trying to get optimistic though...

Coco24 Tue 19-Sep-17 18:46:17

decaf 16 days is ages, my clinic says 11 and thats long enough for me! This time the waiting is killing me, so tempted to test early but then i would have to face work whatever the outcome and given that i work with babies its not the best plan, so i will hold out till Saturday.
When i got my bfp on my last cycle i just felt like it had worked, it sounds silly but i just did, a few days before i was due to test i was saying to my DH its worked i know it has, i had sore boobs my skin changed......but this time nothing, not a dam thing, i dont feel anything and i'm starting to think the worst.
I get what you mean about a phobia of pee sticks, i have a stash in my spare room hidden away so they arent looking at me everyday, dreading having to use them a face it!
How are you feeling/coping with your wait?

Hope everyone else has had a good day x

Decafplease Tue 19-Sep-17 22:07:22

coco working with babies must be hard! I am finding it difficult enough with my one pregnant co-worker. Symptoms wise I too am feeling nothing. Other than the incredibly sore spots from my progesterone injections.
Staying positive is hard so I'm just trying not to think about it till the weekend. Keeping busy at work and been cooking dh really elaborate dinners. Now off to read a chapter of my favourite author terry pratchett to get me in a good mood before bed.

Hobbes39 Tue 19-Sep-17 23:01:34

Well Coco - you were right...I'm posting to say period is now finally here, shitty cramps and all! I decided earlier today when all I was getting was light spotting still that the best way to ensure I get my period is to order some pregnancy tests... lo and behold about 4 hours after I clicked the 'pay now' button, it started....
I knew I wasn't pregnant, it's not happened in the last 2.5 years when we've been good with or timing, so wasn't likely to happen with our half hearted attempts this month and the fact I'm sure I didn't actually ovulate, but a pregnancy test does seem to be the fail safe way for me to get my period hmmgrin.
Anyway, so tomorrow I shall be calling the hospital and starting the whole crappy rollercoaster again.
Good luck Coco & Decaf - i know the final few days are so flipping hard, hope you have things to do? Were you both 5 day transfers? I wouldn't be able to last til 16 days post transfer! X
Lulah - how you doing? Have you got date for your tests?
2014newme - as Gee asked up thread / what all did you throw at it? Glad it all worked out for you!
Hope you are doing ok too Gee? X

Hobbes39 Wed 20-Sep-17 09:53:58

Arg, just called the hospital as instructed to and the nurse said they have me down to start with my NEXT period, not this one sadangry. Awaiting a call back once she double checks, but feel so frustrated as the reason we didn't change clinic was that we could start sooner with our current one than we could if we got our notes transferred across to other clinic. Feel so frustrated that this is happening as I feel like every month counts! Fingers crossed she calls back saying oops....

lulahbelle Wed 20-Sep-17 10:08:05

Hi all, sorry for the radio silence - bit of a crazy start to the week!

Hope the tww isn't dragging too much for you coco and decaf - I've my fingers and toes crossed for you both! (And welcome to decaf!)

So pleased AF has finally turned up for you hobbes - you must be keen to get going again. I know exactly what you mean on the "buy a pregnancy test to bring on AF" thing - the number of times I've test only to then wipe and see AF has started was ridiculous! (Sorry - bit TMI!). No date for tests yet - waiting for GP to produce the authorisation form - apparently her "admin day" is Friday. It's frustrating waiting but it's saving us a lot of money getting them done on the NHS so I shouldn't complain. In the meantime I'm trying to shift some of the weight I've put on since starting IVF - for some reason though, no matter how well I eat and exercise, I'm not losing an ounce - another lovely side effect of IVF maybe hmm (or just me getting old grin)

Hope all's ok with you gee.

lulahbelle Wed 20-Sep-17 10:09:51

Sorry hobbes - just seen your follow-up post. That's ridiculous and so frustrating. Kick up a real fuss - I can't see what difference it makes to them whether you start this month or next. Will keep my fingers crossed they see sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now