Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone done a FET immediately after failed IVF cycle?

(18 Posts)
Avocadosmoothie Mon 10-Jul-17 21:17:50

Hi, has anyone does a FET immediately after failed IVF cycle? Did it work?

Clickncollect Mon 10-Jul-17 21:22:59

Not straight away but as soon as I could - - - my fresh cycle failed in the March of 2015 then I started a medicated FET in the July with embryo transfer taking place in September.
My clinic advised me to wait 3 cycles before starting again to give my body the break. To be honest, I needed the break mentally and emotionally aswell.
Have you just finished a cycle?

Clickncollect Mon 10-Jul-17 21:24:30

Sorry forgot to say - the FET worked. I had one embryo transferred in the fresh cycle that didn't work. Then two transferred for the FET and one took which is my DS who recently turned 1.

Avocadosmoothie Mon 10-Jul-17 21:29:04

Hi click! I've just done a fresh ivf cycle. My official test day is tomorrow but I'm on day 3 of my period already! From an emotional perspective the best thing for me to do would be FET asap, I already feel recovered from the bfn and just want to try again. Physically I feel totally normal but I don't know what a blood test would say. Just wondering if the doctor would let me do a natural FET this month? X

Scottishgirl85 Mon 10-Jul-17 21:55:09

Hi avocado, me again! 😁 Glad to hear you're feeling ready to move to next steps. I really don't think your doctor will let you use this cycle for the fet. Your body really needs to recover this cycle. I've just ovulated today which is day 23, so about 6 days later than my usual. So my body is definitely not back to normal yet. Logistically it would be very hard to get everything in place too this month, given you're already day 3. Is your follow up booked? x

Clickncollect Mon 10-Jul-17 21:56:32

Sorry to hear that @Avocadosmoothie - I remember the feeling after a failed cycle well. Sounds like you have a brilliant attitude and are ready to get back on straight away! That might well be ok from a natural FET perspective as, from what I can gather, most clinics do say at least to have a period or two just to get your body back on track with a medicated FET. I know its so frustrating as it's wait wait wait with the whole damn fertility process.
How many Frosties do you have?
Also, may I ask which clinic you used? Mine was Homerton as I was an NHS patient and they don't really do natural FETs as they can't plan around it like a medicated FET but my friend was private at the Lister and they could accommodate naturals.

Bibs2014 Mon 10-Jul-17 22:05:34

First ivf failed in July 2013; had the FET in November, BFP in December.

Last December had a failed cycle, clinic said to wait 1 cycle before FET so started February. BFN end of March.

blackcherries Mon 10-Jul-17 22:08:21

I did straight away, controlled FET. Was much more relaxed and was successful. My clinic said no reason to wait although in hindsight I don't think it would have hurt. You have one cycle in between where you down reg again.

blackcherries Mon 10-Jul-17 22:09:47

Although it was controlled,I still tracked ovulation the cycle immediately after the failed ivf and didn't ovulate. So waiting might make sure your body gets back to normal...

Avocadosmoothie Mon 10-Jul-17 22:22:54

Thanks everyone! I have 8 frozen embryos. I know that's fairly good but I don't want to be flippant and waste one in a not perfect situation, I just don't want to wait any longer ☹️

Hi Scottish!

marmitecrumpets Mon 10-Jul-17 22:28:02

I wanted to do it straight away but the clinic made me wait 2/3 cycles.
It did work though!

Avocadosmoothie Mon 10-Jul-17 22:28:24

Scottish - no follow up appt book yet - still not at OTD but hopefully can arrange it tomorrow. Wow, 6 days later, that is a big difference! I know it's got to be best to give it a month, I'm just so impatient. On the plus side, it is another shot naturally! X

Avocadosmoothie Mon 10-Jul-17 22:29:18

Congrats marmite, worth the wait!

Clickncollect Mon 10-Jul-17 22:31:06

Wow, 8 embryos is excellent - well done!
Wishing you the very best of luck for your FET.
My clinic are starting to do more and more freeze all cycles as they are getting decent success rates with the FET.

lulahbelle Tue 11-Jul-17 08:43:11

Hi avocado, I had a failed fresh cycle in April this year and was told to wait one cycle before doing a FET. I had quite a short cycle (24 days) so ended up doing the FET (which was non-medicated) at the beginning of June. Good luck!

Avocadosmoothie Tue 11-Jul-17 08:59:09

Hi luhabelle, that wasn't too long to wait then! Did your FET work? Also, was
It unusual to have such a short cycle after? I heard they are often longer? X

lulahbelle Tue 11-Jul-17 10:09:18

Hi avocado, it did work - I'm currently 7+2 - but the nurse wasn't happy with the heartbeat at our early scan last week so we have to go back for another tomorrow. So hopefully successful but not sure yet. I don't know whether it's usual or not to have short cycles after a failed cycle - mine are somewhere between 26 and 30 days usually, but it might just be me as the actual FET cycle was also short - on CD5 when I had my first scan to check my ovaries were quiet and my lining was nice and thin, I already had a triple layer lining and a 14mm follicle - I ended up having the transfer (of a 5 day blast) on CD14. I'd also second what blackcherries said - I tracked my ovulation the cycle following my failed fresh and didn't appear to ovulate. I may have missed it as it was such a short cycle but I definitely think you're best to wait that one cycle and put yourself and your body in the best position. I know how frustrating the wait is but you're in such a good position with 8 frozen and it would be such a shame to not use them in the ideal conditions just for the sake of a month.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 11-Jul-17 22:50:45

fresh cycle end of dec 2015 beg of jan 2016, that failed,but had 6 frozen

fet feb 2016, that failed, fet july 2016, worked and now my 15w daughter today

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now