Advanced search

Zika Virus testing and IVF treatment

(3 Posts)
robato Thu 29-Jun-17 19:21:30

We are looking for advice regarding testing for Zika virus and IVF treatment.

We had a consultation at Bourn Hall, Cambridge for another IVF cycle and everything was going well until the last form we had to complete. This was new to us and asked us to declare that we hadn't visited any high risk countries for Zika in the previous 6 months.

The consultant said if we had, we would have to wait 6 months. Based on the date of the form, this only seems to have become a requirement late last year, so wasn't known to us during our previous IVF cycle a couple of years ago.

Unfortunately, I (dad) travel a lot for work and I had visited Thailand in May. What is worse, is I go there every 6 months.

The consultant said she preferred to wait as the tests weren't always reliable, and suggested I either postpone my future trips to high risk countries and try in November or call up next month, in case any new tests had been developed.

Now, I do understand the risk of Zika and why they are being conservative and also, I understand I can talk to my boss and ask if I stopped travelling but my wife isn't getting any younger and we thought now was the best time to try. I work for a very small company so it's almost impossible for someone else to step in.

My wife was so upset when this news hit us and to be fair, the consultant was sympathetic too. I'm pretty sure I'm OK, as I was in Thailand, in an office or hotel most days/nights, for less than a week and don't recall getting bitten, as normally I get a huge local reaction.

So, I want to know if others had done any Zika virus tests that have been accepted by IVF clinics (in particular BH), when it was done and how much it cost? I'd like to be able to propose these to BH if they don't come back to us with any viable tests.

I really do hope a test can clear us for the treatment, otherwise further delays will decrease our chances...

user1499087140 Mon 23-Oct-17 22:39:08

We are TTC after visiting Mexico in June so we have waited 4 months.
I just wondered how you got on in the end?

JoJoSM2 Tue 24-Oct-17 06:59:52

We went on hols to a destination that was added to the Zika zone just as we abroad. It meant out treatment was delayed but not by 6 months!

We had to wait for 4 weeks (I think) to test for Zika as it takes a while to come up so you can't test immediately upon your return. We're doing a private treatment in London and tested at the Doctor's Laboratory in Wimpole St. Can't remember the price but nothing drastic - I think less than £100 per person.

We were both clear and proceeded to do the IVF.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now