Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Long protocol or short protocol for low AMH

(4 Posts)
otters2017 Tue 27-Jun-17 17:46:52

Hi. Looking to get some advice about long vs short protocol for IV if you have low AMH. Bit of background - I'm 38, DH is 42 and we are on cycle 18. Had clomid for 4 cycles but unsuccessful. All tests are normal. I'm not ovulating based on progesterone results. Referred for IVF but currently delayed as I had an abnormal smear and that needs treating first. The NHS consultant we saw recommended short protocol based on my age and low AMH. However, we had a private consultation at a private clinic and he recommended long protocol. If anyone has low AMH and has been through IVF, please share your experiences with me. I am utterly confused. Thanks.

cherryontopp Tue 27-Jun-17 22:55:53

Hi there. Ive been on various sites and boards over the years with my infertility and IVF treatment. I too wanted to know the difference between long and short protocol. It seems older women, those with low AMH have a lot more success with short protocol.
Reason being, long protocol is when they down reg first which is when they shut down the ovaries, then they wake them up with stimming. Women with low AMH don't respond to drugs as well, So to shut down their ovaries is not usually good and they find it harder to wake them back up so to speak. That's why the most part, show protocol in which they just stimulatethe ovaries is the usual choice.

otters2017 Wed 28-Jun-17 09:11:51

Hi cherry I was thinking the same hence asking the question. I am older at 38 and have low AMH. I know someone else who is 40 with low AMH and has been put on the long protocol. It's all such a mystery! Where are you at with your journey ?

ellesbellesxxx Wed 28-Jun-17 09:15:22

My AMH was 6.3 when I was 31 and I was put on long protocol.. got 8 eggs!
Good luck xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now