Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Time off work following egg collection/embryo transfer

(11 Posts)
Zigzag99 Fri 23-Jun-17 07:53:48

Hi Everyone,

I am due to start ivf soon and my clinic advises all patients to stay off work from the day of EC right through to OTD, so just over 2 weeks.

I just wondered what other clinics recommend or what others have decided to take off and did you still get your BFP?

I had ivf in 2011 which resulted in my ds who is now 5. A few months ago I went through a second round of ivf which failed and two FET'S last year (1 chemical & 1 failed) and each time I have taken the two weeks but now I am thinking is it worth it?

I have a desk job which isn't stressful most of the time and money isn't really the issue.
The hospital will give me a sick note and my employer fully supports me so that isn't a problem either.

I am just so undecided.

Rogue1234 Fri 23-Jun-17 07:58:02

I had EC day until ET day booked off, which I found perfect. I was very sore after EC so definitely needed the time off, but I needed the distraction of work during the TWW otherwise I think I'd have gone mad!

I don't think it had any impact on the outcome at all, the last cycle was successful but the ones before weren't.

Good luck, I really hope it works for you.

sparechange Fri 23-Jun-17 08:01:10

I have been to 5 different clinics and I've never heard of anywhere recommend taking that long off!

I have always been fine to go back to work the day after the EC, although still a little bit tender...

I think the evidence seems to be that normal life, with normal activity levels, is far better than sitting at home doing nothing. I was told to walk lots, and stay active.

The 2ww would feel like a very long time if I was at home for it all...

eurochick Fri 23-Jun-17 08:34:21

That seems excessive to me. I needed the day of egg collection off as that was always a bit sore. I did all my ETs in my lunch hour and went straight back to work afterwards. It helped me to carry on as normal as far as that was possible.

GirlcalledJames Fri 23-Jun-17 11:17:08

Zero time off work (pick up was a Saturday) and bfp first time, now 22w. I think you'd go crazy home alone all that time, there's too much to think about anyway.
Maybe talk to the clinic though to find out why they advise it.

MrsD79 Fri 23-Jun-17 11:23:28

I had about 3 days off. Told my boss who was fine with it. 2 weeks off seems a bit much - it would be for me anyway. If its close to a weekend thurs/fri then you can get 5 days rest.

Persipan Fri 23-Jun-17 16:00:48

I would have gone completely round the twist of I'd done that. I had the day of retrieval off (which was a Friday so to be fair I was off over the weekend as well) and then maybe a half day for transfer? Definitely no more than a day, anyway.

Zigzag99 Sat 24-Jun-17 09:34:13

Thank you for all your replies. Reading them has really helped me come to a decision.

I think I will just take a few days off work following EC and see how I feel after that. I have a 5 year old so won't be resting at the weekends anyway!

I did ask my consultant why he recommends 2 weeks off work and he just said it's to give the embryo's the best possible chance of implanting. He also said if I didn't have the whole 2 weeks off work and didn't get my bfp I will feel that I hadn't done everything possible to make it work.

Perhaps I would have felt like that in the early days but having been through a few cycles now I really don't think staying at home makes a difference.

Thank you everyone.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 24-Jun-17 16:21:08

There are no proven studies that 2ww of rest = preg /higher success rate

They usually say carry on life as normal as that's what your body is used to

So if a lazy arse 😉 Then chill for 2w

If usually working then carry on with work

I've done both. Relaxed for 2w and failed. Worked for 2w failed

The cycle that worked - 5th - I carried on as normal but didn't do any of the

eating pineapple
Nuts
Protein
Eggs
Chicken
Keeping feet warm etc

I did nothing diff and worked

SummerMummy2be Sat 24-Jun-17 16:26:53

Oh Wow, that's a very long time for your clinic to suggest to be off work.

I went back day after EC till ET. Had the day after ET off work and then flew to New York for 11 nights.
OTD was the day I landed home.
Currently 34+3 weeks pregnant.

Good luck! X

Zigzag99 Mon 26-Jun-17 07:11:01

Thank you blondes. I am not a lazy arse lol so think I will be better off at work!

Congratulations Summer! It's good to hear some success stories. Hope everything goes well for you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now