Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Worried....really bad hayfever and IVF

(18 Posts)
TheNoveltySlippers Sat 17-Jun-17 20:42:41

I'm due to have my embryo transfer this Monday and the last couple of hot days have meant my hay fever is off the scale.

I've tried to google this but am totally confused re whether it's okay to take which antihistamines.

What's worrying me more though is if my body is in full 'attack' mode against foreign bodies, what will this mean for implantation?

This is our last possible cycle and I'm now feeling really sad that my hayfever / autoimmune issues could bugger this up.

Any advice and/or words of comfort would be great to hear.

Scottishgirl85 Sat 17-Jun-17 21:11:22

Oh I really feel for you. I suffer from allergies but have them all year round. Usually a day or so a month I will sneeze constantly to the point where I can't hold normal conversation! I was really worried I'd have an allergy on the day of transfer as sneezing during the procedure itself (which only takes 5mins) is definitely not good.
I don't take any antihistamines as read many years ago that they dry up CM and therefore not good for fertility (but ivf bypasses the need for good sperm friendly CM).
I think it's best you talk to your clinic and see what they say regarding Monday. I'm sure it would be OK but totally get that you want to be in the best health for it.
Wishing you all the best. I had my transfer sneeze-free but the cycle has failed sadly.
x

TheNoveltySlippers Sat 17-Jun-17 21:19:13

I'm sorry Scottishgirl. I think I remember you from an infertility thread a few years ago.

MotherOfBeagles Sat 17-Jun-17 21:19:36

I suffer really badly too and i'm currently 21 weeks pregnant. When i went to see my doctor because i couldn't cope anymore he basically said that antihistamines are not considered safe to take due to the fact that the ingredients in them have potential to cause harm. They have not been specifically linked with anything, however that is mainly due to the fact that noone is going to test on a pregnant woman and unborn fetus. In animal tests there have been issues of extra limbs etc.

Resulted in him basically saying, we don't know they aren't safe and its your call but we seriously recommend that you dont take them.

I've now been hiding in my house every nice day and dreading having going to work =(

HOWEVER! I don't know about them affecting infertility because i did take them before i got pregnant. I really hope everything goes well for you - even if it does mean 40 weeks of hellish allergies!

TheNoveltySlippers Sat 17-Jun-17 21:48:43

Thanks Mother. I would be happy to not take antihistamines if I was lucky enough to get pregnant. I'm not actually bothered about the hay fever itself. I'm more worried about my body reacting to allergens and potentially rejecting the embryo.

So some things I've read have said antihistamines might be better because they stop your immune system overreacting.

But I just don't know what is best, as there seems to be conflictbig advice. confused

I suppose I would love to know if anyone went through IVF with bad hafever and it worked out okay.

MotherOfBeagles Sat 17-Jun-17 21:59:46

Have you asked your doctor what their experience is? I totally understand the worry and the stress (i'm a worrier and a stresshead myself) but thats not going to help you at all. Can you do anything to take your mind off it for a few days? Busy work even if its just spring cleaning your house? I hated hearing it but stress really does impact.

TheNoveltySlippers Sat 17-Jun-17 22:05:59

That's true Mother. But you know what doctors are like about doctors are about, especially (I can imagine) with immune issues.

I guess I'm also less stressed than I am just sort of sad, cos this is our last cycle.

But you're right - sadness probably doesn't help either!

MotherOfBeagles Sat 17-Jun-17 22:11:50

I cant even imagine what thats like, i'm so sorry this is your last cycle and i am seriously crossing fingers and toes for you!

TheNoveltySlippers Sat 17-Jun-17 22:47:56

Thanks Mother - and scuse my typos!

TheNoveltySlippers Sun 18-Jun-17 07:17:06

Just giving this a bump in case any other hay fever sufferers out there reading who can give advice.

cluecu Sun 18-Jun-17 09:18:40

Hi Novelty I'm 5 weeks pregnant from ICSI and really struggling with hayfever as am not taking antihistamines either.

However it didn't occur to me that tbe hayfever itself might cause an issue with the embryos etc and so far, touch wood, it hasn't.

Just wanted to say I know what you're going through re hayfever sad but have hope that it won't affect the success of IVF. smile

TheNoveltySlippers Sun 18-Jun-17 10:00:36

Cluecu that's great - and best of luck!

michaelsdottir Mon 19-Jun-17 11:10:06

Hi Novelty

This spring I've had two IVF attempts (one fresh cycle and one frozen). I have really bad hayfever too and asked my doctor about it...I was really worried that sneezing 30 times in a row was going to affect implantation, or taking antihistamenes could also have a negative affect.

He said that sneezing wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference and that, although antihistamenes are generally not advised during pregnancy, during embryo transfer and the 2ww it would be fine. After all, lots of people take them during a 2ww when they don't realise they are pregnant.

Sadly neither of my cycles worked, but I don't think hayfever had anything to do with it, I think my eggs are just not up to scratch. Best of luck with your transfer, fingers crossed for you!

stealthbanana Mon 19-Jun-17 11:50:04

I have shocking hay fever and did ivf around this time last year. 2 things:

1 Your doctors are talking bollocks about antihistamines not being safe during pregnancy. Any first gen antihistamine (I took piriton) is perfectly safe.

2 My ivf consultant put me on prednisolone for the ivf and throughout the first tri to ensure the inflammation didn't have an impact. Could you ask your consultant to do this for you? It's a pretty standard treatment during ivf. It also is bloody brilliant at curing hay fever wish I could take it all the time

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 19-Jun-17 17:42:47

After finally getting preg after 4 failed private ivf the 5th worked last summer

I suffer from hay fever and was told by ivf clinic and own gp not to take antihistamine when preg. Could damage the embryos /fetus

I wasn't going to put any risk after ttc for so long

But

Was told fine to take while ttc or else you would never take them iyswim

TheNoveltySlippers Mon 19-Jun-17 18:01:06

Thanks all but erk...still somewhat conflicting advice there. Still not sure what's best to do!

stealthbanana Mon 19-Jun-17 21:26:34

There is absolutely no reason not to take them. First generation antihistamines have been in use since the 60s and are perfectly safe. It's ridiculous that so many doctors don't understand this!

sparechange Mon 19-Jun-17 21:32:27

I'm pregnant with an IVF pregnancy at ARGC, and am currently having monthly intralipids and IVIG drips for my immune problems.

Before each drip, I get given a pack of 4 antihistamines to take at 10pm and 10am for the next few days, in case I have an allergic reaction to the drips (highly unlikely but best practice apparently)

I asked them before my first drip on the same day as transfer whether it was safe to take them and they said yes, absolutely. They give them to nearly all their patients, and they have the highest success rates in the country and a miscarriage rate of around 5%

So on that basis, I wouldn't have a problem taking them

If you know anything about ARGC, they are the most controlled clinic in the world. Twice a day blood tests, bucket loads of 'just in case' meds, etc
I can't imagine for a minute they would be making me take tablets if they thought there was a discernible risk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now