Talk

Advanced search

When do you class yourself as 'infertile'?

(9 Posts)
ForeverHopeful21 Mon 29-May-17 10:06:04

I don't class myself as infertile as no one from a medical profession has actually told me this. However, it's now 3 years and 1 month since we started trying. I still have hope as I managed to get pregnant in December but unfortunately miscarried at 12 weeks.
I don't know what boards I belong to, as the conception threads make me feel a bit sad and jealous when I see the BFPs. As selfish as this sounds I also hate reading posts from people who got pregnant whilst on the pill or by accident or on first cycle of trying. WTF!!

Londonjam Mon 29-May-17 10:33:43

Technically infertile is classed as trying without success for more than a year. If there is nothing wrong found with you then it's classed as "unexplained infertility". Which is also what we've been labelled under.

We've been trying just over 18 months with no BFP ever. I flit between conception boards and infertility. Once we start IVF I'll use infertility a lot more as there is a weight of knowledge and experience over here.

Sorry you've been trying so long, it really is awful 

There is a TTC1 thread on conception called Thread 29 | The one with the bfps please - this is mostly long time triers now, you would be more than welcome to join us if you like.

Isthismummy Mon 29-May-17 10:34:26

I believe the medical definition of infertility is if you've been trying for a year plus?

Having said that I've read it can take two years for some couples?

I hear ya regarding the conception boards. We started ttc in April 2016 and I was full of hope and enthusiasm. It's taken a year for me to actually be diagnosed with POF and be told I'm basically infertile. A real head fuck.

Have you had any investigations? Three years is a long time and things definitely need looking into if they haven't been already.

ForeverHopeful21 Mon 29-May-17 11:00:54

Thank for the replies, I didn't quite realise infertile was classed as 1 year+. Bloody hell, I'm definitely infertile then! Sorry it's taking a long time for you both too.

I've had blood tests done and I've been referred to the fertility clinic (first appointment is tomorrow!). I was initially told that I couldn't be referred as I had managed to get pregnant naturally, which was a kick in the teeth seeing as it took so long and then ended in MC. But luckily I then saw a GP who was pregnant and I think she felt sorry for me so referred me anyway! I have no idea what to expect from the appointment but it's keeping my spirits up. x

broodynmoody Mon 29-May-17 13:09:54

GPs have to do tests after a year of TTC but you won't be offered IVF until 2 years of trying. Sorry OP its rubbish aint it? People on conception boards its all new and exciting to them sad

JoJoSM2 Mon 29-May-17 15:01:39

It's difficult to know if you're fertile or not. You could be perfectly fertile but your partner could have very poor semen making him the sub-fertile one. Once both of you have been tested, you'll know if one of you or both have a problem. Also, since you did eventually get pregnant it might be a case of sub-fertility rather than being infertile altogether.

I have thought of myself as infertile/practically sterile ever since I got my diagnosis in February- I found out that due to an autoimmune problem no sperm can get into my eggs so the chance of fertilisation is practically 0.

BobbleHat42 Sun 04-Jun-17 04:51:05

Hi sorry to jump in but very curious- Jojosm2 what is the name of the autoimmune issue you have that affects fertilisation of your eggs?

We had issues with fertilisation and it was unexplained for a long time. Much later a potential sperm issue was discovered that could have played a part.

I'm just wondering- I have a few autoimmune issues but never anything linking my eggs to this problem. I'm wondering if I have something that could have contributed also. Thanks x

user1486334704 Sun 04-Jun-17 05:09:11

Just to echo JoJo - it's important you both get checked out with fertility tests as one of the factors/success prognosis for ivf is whether it's male or female factor infertility (it doesn't mean you can't be treated it just makes it clearer what processes and treatments are relevant to you and most likely to result in a live birth).

I underwent 4 cycles of ivf due to male factor (pure mechanics - DH had vasectomy reversal which failed) and was told I was 100% working order. Turns out I had immune issues ('NK' cells) and required additional drugs to protect the pregnancy. Now I'm 27 weeks pregnant and all is well 🤗

Good luck and keep an open mind -what seem to be huge hurdles can be overcome xx

JoJoSM2 Sun 04-Jun-17 10:35:58

User, I was found to have zona pellucida antibodies. That basically means that they attach to the zona pellucida so that no sperm can attach. Apparently, that quite common in 'unexplained' infertility. It seems that it's relatively common to test for in some countries but not so much in the UK. The doctor reckons in can be bypassed with ICSI. We shall find out next month smile (although there's a sperm issue too so we shall see...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now