Talk

Advanced search

Treatment here or abroad what are the pros and cons?

(11 Posts)
harry78 Tue 23-May-17 09:25:39

Hi I am weighing up the options of whether to pursue treatment here or abroad. In your experience what are the pros and cons of each?

JoJoSM2 Tue 23-May-17 11:05:20

It tends to be cheaper abroad. Personally, we've decide to go here to be around for all the scans, be able to get the medication required (otherwise you've got the hassle of foreign prescriptions). In addition, you don't know how many days you're going to stim for or which day you'll transfer the embie so you might need to book flights at the last minute or stay abroad for ages.

Veinarde Tue 23-May-17 15:19:15

I decided to go abroad for my treatment as I heard London clinics are extremely busy, you feel like being on a conveyer belt, such a high value treatment (monetary and emotionally) feels very impersonal. Abroad is much less busy, I met the head doctor on my consultation & had fertility assessment, I was assigned a nurse who will be my contact during the treatment. Obviously it is less expensive as well without compromising on the technology/ quality of the services. Downsides are you have to take time off work and travel for 5-7 days. There is a risk of something not going according to the plan and you need to be prepared to change your flights/ stay extra nights etc.
I got my prescriptions from online pharmacy Fertility 2U, clinic emails them directly and you pay.
We also wanted to go to Norway for a holiday so will try to enjoy the visit as much as possible!

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 24-May-17 04:44:29

I went abroad after 2 failed uk cycles - we didn't have any to freeze tho 1&3 put back tho all 4 failed

It is cheaper and I lost faith in my uk clinic and I believe abroad technology and freezing techniques are better

3rd cycle failed but with higher drugs and better embryologists we had some left over to freeze

Then did 2 era to check lining plus 2 cirvical dilutions are my cervix shuts and is narrow

4 was a fet from cycle 3 and failed

5th go was another fet from cycle 3 and is now 8wks old

You don't need to spend days/weeks in another country if time off work etc is hard

We flew in and out daily for many treatments tho ec we did stay over due to timings and previous ec in uk had been horrendous !!!

Medication is actually cheaper abroad tho I did get prescription for fet drugs and got off my doctors via NHS prescription for £8.75

Think he felt bad we had had so many failed attempts that we had to pay for as df has children in 20's

Email clinics and ask for info pack and arrange a talk ether Skype or in face

We flew over to Madrid and spoke face to face while enjoying few days in the sun was Aug so vvvv hot 🌞

Abroad clinic that get mentioned a lot on here are

Serum Athens
Reprofit Prague
Ivi Madrid
Ivf Barcelona
Gest

Snowdog37 Wed 24-May-17 15:59:03

I'm going to Gest (Praga Medica) in 3 weeks (eeeek!!!!) albeit for donor egg ivf as my eggs are non existent. They've been amazing to deal with, good communication and we met with a Dr there in January who went over all our test results and talked us through our options, very straightforward and no hard sell on extras. The overal cost including cycle, meds, flight, accommodation and food will be about €6,000 for the whole cycle. I think for own egg ivf you'd be looking at about half that. The success rate is pretty much the same throughout most clinics in the Czech Republic, and there are several clinics to choose from. It's all down to who you like most really. The costs are similar, too.
Good luck with deciding! I honestly can't think of any cons for going abroad.

LapinR0se Wed 24-May-17 16:01:07

It depends also whether you find travelling tiring or stressful. I do and so we decided to do everything in London near home.

harry78 Wed 24-May-17 16:41:27

Hi snowdog I have been looking at Gest as I live in the Midlands and flights from Birmingham are plentiful. How long do you anticipate having to stay over there? Does your partner need to travel too? I'd be so interested to keep in touch with how you get on. Good luck xx

Snowdog37 Wed 24-May-17 17:00:36

Hi harry I'm living in the USA so my clinic coordinator worked with the Dr and me to arrange a long enough window of time for me to be there in case of egg collection delays or any other unforeseen issues. This was done back in February when we confirmed our cycle and it was fab as it meant I could book flight tickets ahead of time and save heaps of money. That's another reason I'd recommend them, they'll work with your individual circumstances to create a plan that is economical and convenient.
Both my husband and I went over in January while we were over in Europe for Xmas and New Years. We met the Dr and our lovely coordinator Lucie then. My husband left a sample to freeze too so he doesn't need to travel with me in June. Again, it saves us quite a bit of money. Our plan is if June doesn't work I will go back in August for a second go. So all our plans were to save as much money as possible to afford August too.
I'll be staying 10 days which is longer than normal for a donor egg cycle. Although they offer several options for lengths of stay to suit you. It's kind of nice to stay a few days and relax, see the sights, treat it as a holiday. But I know other people might have stricter timing needs and they'll work with you to figure that out.
Overall I'm very pleased with the clinic. I'm in touch with a couple of ladies who just cycled there and one is now 10 weeks with twins on try #2 and the other wasn't successful but has some other health issues that might have affected her chances. It's a smaller clinic with more Czech couples than foreign couples, but I highly recommend them so far. I'm anticipating needing two trips to be successful but still hopeful for a first time miracle lol.

HollyWollyDooDah Wed 24-May-17 23:41:10

I looked at gest to prepare myself for if it comes down to needing ivf as I probably won't get it over here as I have a daughter from a previous marriage.
My question is how do you get notes and test results transferred over to Czech Republic?

Snowdog37 Wed 24-May-17 23:56:11

It's really easy. I had all my tests done here in the States. My Dr here had everything printed out for me and I scanned it and emailed it to Gest. I also took all the paperwork with me in January when I visited. But if you don't want to visit first you can arrange everything via Skype and email/phone calls. The whole process has been very smooth.

Snowdog37 Thu 25-May-17 00:05:15

I should add, you'll get assigned an English speaking coordinator at Gest, who is your point of contact for everything. Mine is Lucie and she's WONDERFUL. She answers all my silly questions, has helped arrange all my transport needs, acupuncture, recommended a neighborhood to stay in, etc. It's made the process so easy knowing there's a knowledgeable person helping me sort everything. I feel 110% reassured about the clinic because every review you read online also comments on how fabulous the coordinators are, as well as how good the success rates are! For a small clinic you get lots of personal attention and you don't feel like you're on a conveyor belt like some of the bigger clinics in the Czech Republic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now