Talk

Advanced search

Results...what do you think?

(15 Posts)
harry78 Mon 22-May-17 14:23:10

Hi everyone. I have received some results today. I don't have my consultant appt for a couple of weeks and just trying to work out what the options might be. FSH 11.4 AMH 1.4 Antral follicle count 10. I know this doesn't look great. What do you think they may suggest by way of treatment? Medication? ivf? Donor eggs? Any thoughts appreciated...

JoJoSM2 Mon 22-May-17 16:02:47

The AMH is low and the FSH is high. However, you do have a lot of antral follicles. Do you know why you're struggling? If you ovulate, there isn't a problem with the numbers given. They just mean that you might not stay fertile for that long. If you've not conceived for ages and the semen analysis is good, the consultant might decide to do more tests to determine the cause of problems.

harry78 Mon 22-May-17 16:28:05

I think I ovulate. My 21 day test says I did and I get peak readings every month on cbfm. They found a fibroid...

JoJoSM2 Mon 22-May-17 16:51:08

I'm not an expert but presumably if the fibroid is addressed then your fertility might be back to normal? Not sure about IVF, though, I think your FSH would prolly need to be lower for that ideally. However, I'm sure someone can come along to shed some light smile

JoJoSM2 Mon 22-May-17 16:53:32

PS Have a look at fertilityfriends. It's a real font of knowledge smile

Chattycat78 Mon 22-May-17 16:57:29

Have you been trying long? Do you have any children already?

Your results suggest low ovarian reserve. However - if you ovulate, it's good news. You only need 1 good egg to conceive and low ovarian reserve on its own doesn't mean you can't get pregnant - just that it's a good idea to get on with it asap.

Ivf in theory doesn't work that well for people with low ovarian reserve as you're unlikely to respond well to the drugs they give you. Again though, it's not impossible for ivf to work either- just you might not produce that many eggs.

harry78 Mon 22-May-17 17:00:41

We've been trying for over 12 maths. Second child DS is three :0)

Chattycat78 Mon 22-May-17 17:24:29

Ok so if you've conceived before then there's prob nothing major stopping you now. Not sure about the fibroid though and what impact, if any, that has....?

Chattycat78 Mon 22-May-17 17:25:37

Your biggest issue now is probably egg quality. I would get working on that if you can.

harry78 Tue 23-May-17 11:08:09

Hiya chatty thanks so much. Do you have any advice to improve quality?

JoJoSM2 Tue 23-May-17 13:28:13

Have a look at 'It starts with an Egg'.

harry78 Tue 23-May-17 16:50:33

Thanks Jo Jo. I have that but not sure about DHEA. I am thinking I should speak to my consultant first...

JoJoSM2 Tue 23-May-17 17:57:33

DHEA is a steroid hormone so defo speak to a consultant first.

EarlGreyT Wed 24-May-17 22:08:41

I'm not an expert but presumably if the fibroid is addressed then your fertility might be back to normal?

This is incorrect. Addressing the fibroid may not improve fertility and may not even be necessary. Addressing the fibroid won't improve either ovarian reserve or egg quality. Fibroids are common and the fibroid may well be an incidental finding and they often have no effect on fertility.

You can have IVF with FSH level you have. Some clinics won't treat you if FSH is over 10, but many will. Your results do suggest low ovarian reserve, so you may produce fewer eggs and need higher doses of medication for IVF, but I think IVF is still likely to be an option.

cluelessnewmum Wed 24-May-17 22:32:56

Hi harry I'm sorry to hear you've been given these results but then have to wait do long for a consultation, not a very thoughtful practice.

I think I would wait until you have seen a consultant before taking DHEA. I'd read about it as well and asked my doctor about it and he told me to stay clear, he said in my case it would actually be detrimental. Plus the side effects are pretty punchy (I read your hair can fall out) so even if it would help you want advice on dose etc.

Made me lose respect for books like it starts with an egg, which talks about DHEA like just another supplement. That said it could help in your case, I hope it does.

It's horrible to have to hang tight for this time, with any other health problem you wouldn't be treated this way, I don't know why people think it's OK with fertility.

Good luck, keeping my fingers crossed for you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now