Talk

Advanced search

What to expect from IUI

(17 Posts)
LoveRainbow02 Tue 16-May-17 17:54:11

Hi there, just as the title says I would like to know a bit more about IUI and what sort of things to ask my consultant.
I have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility, urgh! Been ttc for over 2 years, had a miscarriage in February at 8 weeks and a chemical pregnancy last week.
Next step is IUI. I am waiting on my letter coming in telling me I'm next in line. What I am wondering is should I ask to have IUI with meds or injections? I ovulate on my own so not sure if consultant would agree to meds. I was last at my consultant in April and she said waiting list could be 4 months but hoping it's a lot sooner than that.

Jemimapuddleduk Tue 16-May-17 18:02:35

I had 2x rounds of IUI back to back. I ovulated on my own but still took injectables (Menopur I think) from day 3 of my period I think. There was then a trigger injection of HCG to stimulate egg release, iui was a day or so after this. All in all it wasn't too stressful and not half as bad as Clomid tabs which drove me nutty! It worked both times for us - first cycle I miscarried at 9 weeks and second time I got my gorgeous dd.
Good luck with it.

Jemimapuddleduk Tue 16-May-17 18:03:38

Meant to say my understanding is that with injectables there is greater chance of success. I had regular intra vaginal scans to check egg progress.

LoveRainbow02 Tue 16-May-17 18:49:00

@Jemimapuddleduk sorry you have suffered a loss as well. Would it be worth me asking for injectables too? I just want the best chance possible. I can't wait until my next appointment to find actually what's going to be happening etc.

Jemimapuddleduk Tue 16-May-17 19:11:56

I would go with what your consultant says. I was on the NHS protocol. With my successful (4th pregnancy as had 3 mc's in total) I had the iui and also low dose aspirin, fragmin, progesterone pessaries and steroids. I then fell pg approx 8 months after that pg naturally and only took aspirin and had a ds.
I really hope the iui works for you. Wishing you lots of luck and I hope my story has given you some hope.

LoveRainbow02 Tue 16-May-17 19:16:41

Definitely has given me some hope. I just feel it's a long journey but so excited to start. Thank you for sharing your experience x

snowy1982 Wed 17-May-17 15:34:27

I had 3 cycles IUI last year, due to the circumstances i.e. both DH and me appearing to be in tip top fertile health with no reasons for infertility, clinic recommended we have unmedicated cycles. During first cycle my eggs was maturing very nicely unaided but when it got to 22mm and i still had not ovulated they decided to trigger. For second cycle we used the same approach and on the third they decided to go the whole hog. Unfortunately, non of our cycles were successful, but the point i am trying to make is to trust your doctors, they will give you the best treatment to suit your situation. Hope all works out for you (on to IVF for us next)

LoveRainbow02 Wed 17-May-17 16:39:37

Hi snowy. I wish you all the luck with your ivf journey. I am really anxious but also excited to start IUI. I don't want to get my hopes up too high in case it is unsuccessful. My consultant hasn't mentioned doing it unmedicated or with meds so unsure what she will decide. I just want the best chance possible. Like you and your partner we don't have any reasons for why it isn't happening either. When do you start ivf? I had my last appointment in April so I'm not sure when my IUI will start. I was told the waiting list would be 4 months. Just so eager to start lol.

snowy1982 Wed 17-May-17 19:36:24

Got put on NHS waiting list at the end of April there but it's a 9 month wait list so am going to go private, had tube test last week which was all clear and then a family waiting at the weekend so was getting that all out of the way before contacting the clinic. AF is due on Monday so am hoping clinic will fit me in next cycle or the one after

LoveRainbow02 Wed 17-May-17 20:30:03

Gosh that's a long wait isn't it! I wish you all the luck in the world

snowy1982 Thu 18-May-17 09:04:55

It's such a long wait, and in reality by the time the letter comes and appointments are arranged and we can actually start on NHS it will more likely be 10/11 months, we have enough saved for one cycle private so going to bite the bullet and do it. All the best to you as well

LoveRainbow02 Thu 18-May-17 13:15:50

Yeah the waiting lists are really long. You must be so excited to get started soon.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 18-May-17 15:13:05

I would now ask them a lot of questions about the efficacy of IUI for yourselves and in particular about your unexplained diagnosis.

Unexplained infertility is infact no diagnosis at all; this basically means that they have failed to find out what is wrong. Sometimes it is a "diagnosis" given to couples when the couple has not been adequately investigated. What tests have you both had done to date, particularly with regards to male factor?. For instance one semen analysis is not conclusive.

LoveRainbow02 Thu 18-May-17 15:44:07

My partner has had 4 detailed semen analysis done, full blood count and sti tests.

I have had scans to check for pcos, cysts etc. Laparoscopy and dye test to check for endometriosis and to see if tubes were blocked. Full blood count done regularly with all levels checked regularly.

All tests have come back normal for us both. I have had 1 miscarriage and 1 chemical pregnancy so I can conceive.

LoveRainbow02 Wed 24-May-17 11:52:12

@snowy1982 Rang my consultant today and my IUI should be starting in 3 months time. I'm so impatient. Wish it was sooner lol

snowy1982 Wed 24-May-17 13:38:40

The waiting is so frustrating I know, but 3 months will fly by, just keep yourself nice and busy

LoveRainbow02 Wed 24-May-17 17:15:30

I have a lot planned over the next couple of months so yeah I'm sure it will fly in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now