Talk

Advanced search

What things have you done to help your body prepare for IVF?

(17 Posts)
user1470147116 Tue 09-May-17 14:05:17

So we are starting IVF next month, hormones in June, transfer in July.

What things have you done to help your body prepare for IVF?

LilyWasThere Tue 09-May-17 14:11:10

- got my BMI under 30
- stopped drinking
- ate 'properly'
- folic acid
- had acupuncture
- vitamins

I know there's lots of debate around the last two, but figured neither could hurt & after spending so much money on the process, a little more wouldn't make any difference! Hope it all goes well for you!

user1470147116 Tue 09-May-17 14:18:45

Thanks LilyWasthere

I've ticked everything on your list!

Veinarde Tue 09-May-17 14:57:04

We are preparing for our first IVF in June, I am taking Omega-3 and turmeric (both anti-inflammatory), vit D, C, zinc, folic acid and myo-inositol (my ovaries are polysystic, but not the syndrome). Also taking probiotics along with a healthy diet. Just gave up coffee few weeks ago.

Having written this down thinking I am going a bit OTT smile
Yet to give up my wine.

user1470147116 Tue 09-May-17 15:48:19

Thanks Veinarde

Its my first round of IVF too in June!

I was going to start drinking turmeric tea but my acupuncturist said not to as it causes uterine contractions. So maybe its fine up until transfer?

I'm taking Omegas 3 and Pregnacare Conception vitamin.

I'm also taking ubiquinol.

I've cut out coffee but still having 1-2 drinks per week, which I need to cut out.

I'm trying not to eat sugar (currently eating a twix!).

Doing yoga, pilates, walks and acupuncture too.

Lily35 Tue 09-May-17 16:16:58

Hi everyone, I did first Buserelin injection today woohoo so am doing my IVF cycle over May/June too.

- I got told by nurse to ensure vit D is taken and folic acid which I have in prenatal, and extra D tablets
- Exercising - nothing too intense but around 2.5 hours a week. I run, walk and cross train.
- Acupuncture
- 2L of water per day at least
- lots of avocados
- lots of protein
- stopped drinking alcohol
- drink 2 cups of real tea per day

And really just eating a balanced diet. I am a firm believer in trying to stay happy so making myself miserable through diet won't work for me so I have my treats.

Good luck everyone smile

user1470147116 Tue 09-May-17 16:33:08

Good tips lily35

I'm hopefully going to start injecting in a few weeks, yikes!

I'm trying to eat an avocado every other day!

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2168494/Avocado-diet-triples-chance-success-couples-undergoing-IVF.html

Good luck

Veinarde Tue 09-May-17 17:01:14

Well done everyone smile
I heard about avocados- they are great and tasty as well!
user1470147116 Thanks for the tip RE turmeric! I had no idea on the uterine contraction effects. I'll stop closer to the treatment time

NoImBridgetJones Tue 09-May-17 17:24:00

We're waiting to have IVF scheduled some time after the end of June. I've got two cycles left to 'get lucky' so I've been trying to do what I can to help that and simultaneously prep for IVF if that makes sense. Similarly to PP:

Moderate exercise - ~4-5k light conversational jog every other day. Been doing Couch25k to ease my body into it and not shock it into annovulatory cycles or something (probs unlikely but it was a worry I had). Every step I try to visualise delivering nourishing blood to my uterus. Sorry if that seems a bit odd but it helps me to not push myself too hard or to try and 'get fit'. That's not my goal right now and I need to tell myself that regularly!

Improved diet - I'm learning how to cook properly and where possible eating only whole organic foods. Tricky area for me with history of EDs so saw a dietician to keep me on the straight and narrow! She recommended incorporating Flax, and through some googling i now make a Fertility Smoothie on run days: banana, natural yoghurt, berries, flax, maca powder, caoco powder, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, chia seeds, bee pollen hmm. It's expensive and I've put on weight no doubt but there are tons of good antioxidants and vitamins and minerals that I don't care about the weight. Lots of fish, increased red meat to twice a week, soups to warm my body hmm crudités with fresh guacamole (jamie Oliver recipe is great) to get extra veggies. Using fresh herbs, fresh chilli, ginger garlic etc. I basically get in from work and cook most of the evening. It's tiring but it helps me feel like I'm doing something to help. Oh one thing she mentioned, if you drizzle a little olive oil on tomatoes you absorb more nutrients, so now I do that too smile

Supplements - Coq10, royal jelly, vit D, omega, Pregnacare Conception, probiotics. My reserve is low so I'm trying to focus on maximising the quality of what I do have. These were the ones I read about and decided were right for me anyway. DH also takes the Pregnacare for men.

Acupuncture + Chinese Medicine - I don't understand it but I'm happy to be trying this too. I'm 'unexplained' by Western Medicine so maybe Chinese Medicine can help. I go once a week and drink prescribed herbs every day, different ones for different stages of the cycle.

Stopped flying - no evidence for this at all but my gut told me to stop flying. Not that I'm any sort of jetsetter but I live a plane ride from family and friends and for various reasons had been back and forth a LOT last year. This one sucks but I think I need to try it.

I think that's mostly it! Honestly I have no idea if it will help my chances, though of course I really hope they do. I really hope so. Looking forward to reading others' tips and wishing those starting soon the best of luck flowers

heateallthebuns Tue 09-May-17 17:29:44

When I had ivf we were recommended by clinic to drink loads of milk as protein is good for the eggs.

Also, think about your mind too. I know everyone says 'relax' and you're like - shut the fuck up! But I had three rounds of ivf that didn't work and got really wound up thinking about it all the time and trying all different things like you describe. Last cycle I took unpaid leave and had hypnotherapy, I was so much more relaxed and positive. And it worked! I've got twins and then a surprise naturally conceived ds now!!!

Veinarde Tue 09-May-17 17:56:23

I'd agree on milk! Apparently very good for fertility. I also read about stress being abortogenic. I always keep this in mind when getting annoyed/ angry - helps me to let go! Nothing is worth stressing about when TTC smile

JoJoSM2 Wed 10-May-17 09:54:29

We've got our cycle coming up in July. This is our prep:
- supplements since March (Profertil for men and women) + vit D + Pycnogenol for DH
- max 1 alcoholic drink a week
- only 1 coffee a day,
- 7-8 of our 5 a day, plenty of lean protein, wholegrains, I drink c 400ml of milk/day + eat a portion of other dairy, minimum added sugar, healthy fats (avocado, nuts, seeds, extra virgin cold pressed oil if needed + some oily fish)
- regular exercise
- as a result of improved diet, I'm also losing weight - BMI now at 25.5 but hope for 24 by the time of egg transfer (-1.5-2kg/month so nothing drastic)
-we're doing counselling and try to relax and have quality time together
-I'm also going to try acupuncture and considering hypnotherapy...

JoJoSM2 Wed 10-May-17 11:15:42

Oh, and we're off on a couply beach holiday to relax and get vit D before downreg starts.

LilyWasThere Fri 12-May-17 18:49:50

Oh yes! Avocados!! I'd forgotten about those....

I ate 100s of them!

Scottishgirl85 Fri 12-May-17 19:01:38

I will start stimming next week. I have changed nothing! I'm already a good weight and have been on folic acid for 6 years. I honestly think it's all down to luck. If it's going to work it'll work x

EarlGreyT Sat 13-May-17 01:00:22

Nothing! I did 5 unsuccessful cycles while behaving and being healthy and didn't even get a whiff of a pregnancy so decided not to bother with it this time apart from my folic Acid

Ginxed Sat 13-May-17 01:13:56

I stopped drinking, ate healthily, gave up caffeine, ate brazil nuts, did positive visualisation. For my 3rd cycle I also had acupuncture and I am convinced this did the trick. My twins are almost 8 now grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now