Talk

Advanced search

Natural Killer Cells Treatment

(12 Posts)
stephy33 Sat 22-Apr-17 07:41:10

Hi ladies,

I was just wondering if there was anyone who has had a successful pregnancy on the Natural Killer Cell Prednisalone drug treatment and how many cycles it took?

I started the treatment a few weeks ago and haven't had a bfp yet.
I've been given 3 cycles of treatment. I've just finished my 2nd cycle and no luck this time sadly. I'm really hoping I'll be 3rd time lucky!

It would be really lovely to hear from anyone who is going through the same treatment & if its worked. Xx

geeup Sat 22-Apr-17 09:10:13

Hi Stephy. I don't have any answer unfortunately as haven't been through that but am very interested in the subject as I can't seem to get pregnant at all and I think my body attacks anything at all that's not its own. Did you get the NK drugs on NHS or a private clinic? Did you do the NK testing privately? Would be interested to hear your journey to here. Hopefully I act as a bump to draw people with more experience too!

stephy33 Sat 22-Apr-17 10:04:56

Hi sweety,

Yeah I was referred via the NHS. We've been trying to get pregnant for 3 years and had 3 miscarriages. My GP referred me to see a consultant who then did a number of blood tests and it came back that I had killer cells. It's strange as there is no family history of anyone else in my family having problems getting pregnant, my sis & mum fell preg straight away so I don't have anyone I can really confide in about it. It's hard to remain positive sometimes but I'll keep trying. If you been trying for a while I would keep going back to ur GP until they refer you to see someone. I hope this helps xx

geeup Sat 22-Apr-17 16:00:40

Thanks. Best of luck - hope you get pregnant very soon.

stephy33 Sat 22-Apr-17 16:14:17

Thank you, you too! smile x

MHbl Sun 23-Apr-17 23:01:29

Hi both. Just spotted this thread and wanted to share my experience. After 10 years of not being able to conceive, I am now just over 24 weeks pregnant after my 3rd cycle of IVF. Cycles 1 and 2 (one fresh, one frozen) were under normal straightforward protocols as there were known male infertility issues and I seemed healthy - got a BFP each time but then miscarried at 8 weeks (in one case after seeing a heartbeat).

So before the 3rd cycle we each had a load of immune tests (Phase 1 and Phase 2 tests, or whatever it is called). Mine came back with hits across various test results including NK cells. I ended up on quite a heavy treatment regime for this 3rd cycle (which was with our last frozen embryo) - at one point I was having about 20-25 tablets or injections of various kinds a day, plus monthly intralipid treatment and acupuncture every 2 weeks. I also reduced my workload significantly to take it as easy as possible. Anyway, something has worked as baby is miraculously doing well at the moment!

As I say, I was on a ton of prescribed stuff but this did include prednisolone steroids (up to 5 daily, i.e. 25mg, during the first trimester) to suppress immune system, as well as monthly intralipid intravenous treatments (not as scary as they sound), also to try to control the immune response.

I've also been on delightful Clexane injections to thin my blood as one of the other tests suggested that blood flow to my womb was poor and that could have been a reason for miscarriage.

I'll honestly never know whether it was the Prednisalone, intralipids, Clexane, high dose vitamins (I'm also crap at metabolising folic acid), acupuncture, taking a break from work (I am lucky enough to be self employed so this was feasible), or if we just finally struck it lucky with a decent plucky little embryo, but something has worked this cycle as we've never even got close to this stage before. So I can't say for definite that I could isolate the prednisolone as the key factor but just thought I'd share my experience.

All the very best of luck, IVF is very trying emotionally and physically but there is hope xxx

P.S. Everyone is different but after keeping it secret for our first cycle, I found it much easier to be open to family and close friends about the fact we were undergoing IVF when we got to cycle 2 and beyond. The support that we've had has been amazing. It's true that you perhaps don't fully understand unless you've been through it, but I still found my friends keen to learn about the process and support me through it. Hope this helps.

stephy33 Mon 24-Apr-17 18:28:46

Hi MHbl

Thank you so much for sharing your story, I'm so pleased to hear that things are working out well for you, congratulations!

Hopefully the 3rd cycle of the steroids will work for me, if not, hopefully I'll have the option of IVF too 🙏🤞 xx

MHbl Tue 25-Apr-17 10:45:35

Thank you, Stephy, and good luck! Hadn't appreciated that your steroids cycle was outside of the IVF context, so sorry if any of my waffling was totally irrelevant to your circumstances :-) Hope you found something useful in there nevertheless.

DaisyLouB Tue 25-Apr-17 13:29:09

After 3 miscarriages I was referred to an NHS consultant. While I was waiting for my appointment to come through I had read online about elevated NK cells potentially causing miscarriages so I self referred to a private hospital in Chelsea- the Lister. I paid about £800 for the blood test and the results came through which showed I had high levels of NK cells. I assumed I would as I have many autoimmune issues including hypothyroidism, lichen sclerosis and alopecia. I showed the test result to the NHS consultant and was advised to take 20mcg of prednisolone from day 1 of finding out next pregnancy. I did just that plus I took baby aspirin and clexane. No idea if it was a combination of all these or one of these treatments or none of them however I have gone on to have two healthy pregnancies and babies.

stephy33 Tue 25-Apr-17 19:16:50

Hi DaisyLouB

Thank you for sharing your story, I'm so pleased to hear that you have been successful. Could I ask, did you fall pregnant naturally quite quickly and then start taking the steroids?
I have irregular cycles so have to use ovulation sticks and I've been told to take the steroids for 10 days from ovulation then do a preg test and if negative stop the steroids then wait again till next ovulation to take the tablets again for 10 days. I have 30 steroid tablets so 3 go's. Ive been unsuccessful so far (just finished 2nd cycle) :-$

Also, I've put on so much weight, did you find that with the steroids?

Thanks xx

o take 20mcg of prednisolone from day 1 of finding out next pregnancy. I did just that plus I took baby aspirin and clexane. No idea if it was a combination of all these or one of these treatments or none of them however I have gone on to have two healthy pregnancies and babies.

DaisyLouB Tue 25-Apr-17 21:16:58

Hi Steph33

I think I fell pregnant within about 4 months of trying. My cycles have always been regular - 26 days and I did buy a cheap bundle of home ovulation test strips and extra sensitive pregnancy strips. The doctor advised me to only take the steroids once I got a positive pregnancy test result as it can have side effects if you take the steroids for too long, it surprises immunity for one as well as the weight gain. He advised to take until 12 weeks however I started to get quite bad morning sickness and then I couldn't bear to take them. I had to slowly reduce my dose however as it is dangerous to suddenly stop. I stopped them altogether by week 11. I put on 3 stone in weight during that pregnancy however I think that was down to overindulgence in food once my morning sickness stopped at 17 weeks. Also I am overweight anyway, have an underactive thyroid and very slow metabolism. I carried lots of water too. My stomach was huge and my hands and feet swelled up. I couldn't fit into my shoes or clench my fist for instance. Fingers were so sore. I hope you fall soon, what will happen once you finish that set of steroids? Will you take a break from them?

stephy33 Tue 25-Apr-17 21:43:52

Thanks DaisyLouB, I'm not sure what will happen if the 3rd cycle doesn't work. I have an appt with the consultant next week so hopefully there is something else they could do to help. I'm ganna keep everything crossed 🙏🤞
Steph xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now