Talk

Advanced search

Recurrent miscarriage investigation

(8 Posts)
devuskums Thu 20-Apr-17 21:47:49

Hi I am 41 and after 3 years ttc have recently endured a miscarriage at 7 weeks followed by a blighted ovum discovered at 11 weeks. EPU have referred me for investigations...has anyone got any helpful info/tips for me please? Thanks x

devuskums Thu 20-Apr-17 23:17:20

Anyone?? Thanks so much x

DaddysGirl36 Sat 22-Apr-17 22:54:14

Hi Devuskums

Sorry that no-one has replied to you. Only one person replied to me on my thread the other week, I'm struggling with the infertility forums everywhere as they either don't seem active enough, the threads are not relevant or the threads are old sad

I have had one MMC and two chemical pregnancies. I had a laparoscopy which showed I had a blocked tube and I have had some bloods to check for any clotting disorders and to check for ovarian reserve. I get the results at the end of May and unless there is something relating to why I have had the MCs that they can try and sort, I'll be referred for IVF. I am still hoping that I will conceive naturally but feel like I'm kidding myself, it's been a horrendous and heartbreaking journey

laurelstar Sun 23-Apr-17 06:15:45

Hello OP and very sorry to hear about your miscarriage and blighted ovum. I've had five miscarriages and there are a number of different tests that you can be referred for. If you search these boards you'll find previous threads on Recurrent Miscarriage that list all of them. Briefly, you'll be tested for blood clotting disorders, problems with the shape of your womb (I had a uterine septum, now removed), thyroid problems and immunological disorders. They are all rare and most people will test negative. The great majority (my consultant says 70%) of miscarriages are caused by random chromosomal abnormalities with the embryo, that is to say they are not viable as the cells don't divide properly. After three miscarriages, your hospital might offer testing of the products of conception (embryo or fetus) to check for chromosome abnormalities. You and your husband can have a karyotype (blood test) to find out if you carry one too. We had it done after our last Miscarriage was diagnosed as Trisomy 15, or three copies of chromosome 15, but we both came back clear, which meant it was random.
The good news is that even after two or three miscarriages, the chances of your next pregnancy going to term is about 70%, so please don't give up hope.
My husband and I are currently doing IVF with pre-Implantation genetic screening to make sure we avoid any more abnormal embryos. It's going really well and has given us a lot of hope for the future.
Good luck and let me know if I can give any more information.

laurelstar Sun 23-Apr-17 06:18:45

Good luck Daddysgirl, sending you all best wishes for your IVF treatment if you go ahead

flumpybear Sun 23-Apr-17 06:22:27

Good luck!! I had problems with miscarriages and saw a miscarriage expert (obstetrics consultant). I had a variety of treatments, low dose aspirin, high concentrations of folic acid and hcg injections in the first trimester.
I have two lovely children now 💜💜💜
Oh I also had lots of scans, apparently it helps with your mental state, not sure about you but I was always worried I'd lost the baby even when all was fine ....
When's your appointment?

DaddysGirl36 Sun 23-Apr-17 19:38:57

Thanks Laurelstar - some good information for OP there

Flumpybear - I do want as many reassurance scans as possible if I become pregnant again but at the same time, it's terrifying due to the fact my MC was missed and I found out at our first scan so what was meant to be a wonderful experience was the worst moment of my life sad

devuskums Sun 23-Apr-17 23:26:58

Oh thank you so much for replying, it makes me feel so much less lonely. I will have a good search tomorrow when I get back from first blood tests. Sending hope to you all x 🌼🌻🌹

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now