Talk

Advanced search

IVF Experts Guidance Required

(9 Posts)
SammyL100 Wed 19-Apr-17 15:38:16

Hi,

Hope you can help. Cousin had AMH of 8.0. She is 40, never been pregnant but only ttc for 6 months and been told she should go for IVF by an IVF clinic! Partner is sceptical as thinks IVF clinic are trying to make money.

I have tried to help but unsure of these types of ranges? And whether IUI or IVF is better?

Can anyone let me know of success with such levels?? Would she likely get eggs from an IVF cycle and chances of success?

ellesbellesxxx Wed 19-Apr-17 15:43:03

I think iui is good with particular cases but for me it was never an option as my tubes were twisted so ivf was only option.
8 is a good AMH for age 40, median is around 10 I think.
I got 8 eggs with AMH of 6.3 at age of 32 so again, possible to get good number...

ellesbellesxxx Wed 19-Apr-17 15:44:39

Ultimately it's weighing up whether she goes straight for ivf (any more potential issues?)
Or if it's worth trying for longer naturally.. AMH in itself isn't enough to go straight for ivf, she could still conceive naturally with those numbers, people have conceived with less!

SammyL100 Wed 19-Apr-17 15:54:05

Its difficult because the people giving the advice are the very people who stand to gain financially from her decision, so its hard to assess whether it is in her best interests.

Also the impact emotionally I worry about for her.

SammyL100 Wed 19-Apr-17 15:55:09

I think its only age thats the issue. From what I gather everything else is normal (scan results etc).

Zigzag99 Thu 20-Apr-17 06:47:31

I am 43 and my AMH is 13.2. I recently went through ivf and got 11 eggs. 4 were immature so were discarded. Out of the 7 remaining 6 fertilised. Although my treatment failed we got 2 really good top quality embryos. It's just a shame one of them didn't want to implant. Unfortunately the other 4 weren't suitable for freezing. The consultant said there is no reason why we shouldn't try again if we want to. Had my first round of ivf when I was 37 which resulted in my DS who is now 5. Hope this helps.

SammyL100 Thu 20-Apr-17 07:39:40

13.2 is great at 43! My friend had IVF success at 40 but her AMH was 22.3!!

My cousin spoke about her results to Zita West (where she got the results from, apparently it was the Zita West) said she seemed a bit hesitant about her AMH. Cousin thought results weren't that good judging by Wests reaction.

Apparently natural conception chances are 5% a month at age 40, with her local IVF clinic its 13% success at age 40. She's wondering what to do? I am not sure what I can advise. Would love to hear from similar AMH levels peeps?

lucieloos Thu 20-Apr-17 08:01:37

I think the problem at age 40+ is whilst there are eggs there the quality is often poor. My advice would be to get cracking with ivf asap as if she tries naturally for another year or two not only are the chances of it working slim but the chances of ivf working will be drastically reduced by then as well.

Zigzag99 Thu 20-Apr-17 16:16:23

It's difficult to know what to do but i agree with lucie, she should start ivf as soon as possible. Your cousin could try naturally for another year or so with no luck and then kick herself for not trying ivf sooner.

My clinic only offer ivf if you have an AMH of 4 or 5 and above (I think). Anything less they said there is no or little response to the drugs so it wouldn't be worth it. Not sure if this is the same at all clinics though.

We did try 2 rounds of IUI before I had my son but it wasn't successful. It was funded but I wouldn't of paid to do it privately as the success rates are not much higher than TTC naturally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now