Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had difficulty conceiving a baby but gone on to get pregnant easily with second or third etc?

(16 Posts)
nimnom1 Mon 17-Apr-17 10:01:44

I posted this on the conception section too but thought this might be a better place!
I had a lot of trouble getting pregnant with my second baby, but got pregnant easily with my first. I wondered whether anyone else had had secondary infertility with the second but went on to have a third relatively easily? Or did you find once you had difficulty conceiving once, it was hard subsequently? I'm nearly 38 and when I was 35 had low normal AMH

Chattycat78 Mon 17-Apr-17 14:35:23

Yes. Took me a year and ivf to get ds1 (with one mc in between). When he was 9 months old and I stopped breastfeeding/period returned, we thought we'd better start trying again as I was under the impression that it would take years/wouldn't be possible/would need ivf again to conceive again.

Instead I got a bfp 4 weeks later hmm resulting in ds2 and a 17 month age gap. Not what I expected in the slightest....!

Chattycat78 Mon 17-Apr-17 14:46:24

Oh and ps I have low amh- that's why I did the ivf in the first place.

CassandraAusten Mon 17-Apr-17 19:55:41

I have two friends who needed IVF for their first baby and got pregnant quickly with their second. One of them had been told the chances of her conceiving naturally were very low (male factor issues).

nimnom1 Mon 17-Apr-17 22:05:17

Thanks to you both for your replies, and congratulations Chattycat for both of your pregnancies! It is great to hear this.

WanderingTrolley1 Mon 17-Apr-17 22:08:09

Took over 3 years to conceive DS, then conceived DD 3 months after he was born.

DesertSky Mon 17-Apr-17 22:12:23

My cousin had several failed rounds of ivf over the course of about 6 years I think. Finally got pregnant through IVF but then went on to have 3 more children naturally - all very close together!

Raisinbrain Mon 17-Apr-17 22:19:23

A friend of mine had IVF due to PCOS for her first baby then got pregnant naturally within a year of his birth!

colonelgoldfish Mon 17-Apr-17 22:28:08

We took a year to have conceive DD. We thought it might take that again so started trying around her first birthday. We were lucky to conceive DS our first month of 'trying' much to our surprise and delight smile

Good luck!

fabulousfun Mon 17-Apr-17 22:43:08

18 perfect cycles and timing for dc1 and literally the first shag after giving birth....bang dc2! 12 month age gap 😳

nimnom1 Mon 17-Apr-17 23:16:43

Oh wow! These are excellent stories 😀. Thank you all very much for posting. It must be quite a shock to get pregnant after IVF or after trying for a long time. Shock and joy.

StinkyMcgrinky Mon 17-Apr-17 23:20:06

DS1 took 5 years, multiple rounds of IVF and 2 miscarriages. We were advised after his birth that it was highly unlikely we would ever be able to have a 2nd.

I was pregnant with DS2 9 months later and we now have a 2 year old and almost 1 year old

StinkyMcgrinky Mon 17-Apr-17 23:20:33

And I was on the pill at the time! hmm

melissasummerfield Mon 17-Apr-17 23:22:30

Me! 5 years for my 1st then pregnant again when he was 6 months old. shock currently 17 weeks with number 3 wink

Scrumptiousbears Mon 17-Apr-17 23:30:04

After 2.5 years of trying I fell pregnant on my second round of Clomid. I fell pregnant naturally the week of my daughters first birthday.

Sierra259 Mon 17-Apr-17 23:34:36

A colleague of mine had ivf for her first and then fell naturally (and unexpectedly!) with her second soon after. I can't remember the exact age gap, but definitely less than 18 months. They were in consecutive schools years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now