We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is there anything I can do to encourage implantation?

(43 Posts)
GlummyMummy Sat 15-Apr-17 21:25:38

On medicated FET cycle just now. I know it's mainly about the quality of the embryo but is there anything I can do to help encourage implantation?

This is our 5th IVF attempt, first one in 2013 successful, then three unsuccessful attempts in the last year. Our last remaining frozen embryo is fairly average quality so I'm not hugely positive about this cycle but if it does survive the thaw, I want to make sure I can do everything possible to help it implant!

Anyone like to share anything that worked for them? I have a feeling I could have an issue with poor blood flow. Drs haven't really come up with any ideas, so feeling a bit misguided!!

Londonjam Sun 16-Apr-17 11:38:39

Are you taking baby aspirin? I've read that can help. A lot of women swear by pineapple - something to do with bromine? I'm not 100% sure. Good luck.

blue2014 Sun 16-Apr-17 12:23:49

I did the pineapple thing, the IVf worked but I suspect it was arse all to do with the pineapple but I guess it can't hurt.

What about an endo scratch or glue? I'm afraid I don't know much about them but aren't they supposed to help?

Best of luck

Chattycat78 Sun 16-Apr-17 13:03:35

I did the pineapple thing too- pineapple core ever day after embryo transfer until bfp. It worked. No clue if it helped or not but couldn't hurt!

bananafish81 Sun 16-Apr-17 14:25:31

Scratch is shown to be promising but that's for the cycle before

If you have high uNK then the Coventry clinic recommend waiting for a low month, or in high cases taking prednisolone. Some clinics will prescribe empirically for failed implantation

If you have poor uterine blood flow as measured by doppler ultrasound then aspirin and clexane post ET may be helpful. I didn't take them before transfer due to risk of concealed bleeding

For recurrent failed implantation then ERA biopsy may be helpful - but if you've previously conceived on a day 5 transfer it's unlikely you'll have a displaced window of implantation

GlummyMummy Sun 16-Apr-17 19:25:11

Thanks everyone! Had scratches on two of the failed cycles so didn't bother this time, was going through a "why did I waste my money on that?" phase after the last one failed in February.

I've bought some baby aspirin to try though was unclear when I should be starting it?

And have already got the pineapples on standby, though I have heard conflicting reports on it.

This will be our last frozen attempt so happy to try most things! Though embryo is only a 3bb day 6 blastocyst so who knows?!?

bananafish81 Sun 16-Apr-17 19:32:33

As my post said, I was told to take aspirin post ET because of the risk of concealed bleeding from the transfer catheter compromising implantation

Good luck

GlummyMummy Sun 16-Apr-17 20:04:13

Thanks Banana 😃 That's helpful as my instinct would have been to start prior to ET to allow it time to work.

JoJoSM2 Mon 17-Apr-17 11:01:55

I read bits of research and implantation rates are much higher when after the transfer you go about your normal business, move about etc (as opposed to lying down). It's also very helpful to laugh - e.g. Watching comedies.

blue2014 Mon 17-Apr-17 11:16:03

Oh I read that about laughing too! By chance DH is permanently hilarious but he had be laughing during embryo transfer

GlummyMummy Mon 17-Apr-17 20:04:08

That's interesting JoJo, as I've never been sure whether to rest after ET, although with a toddler it's not really possible. Laughing sounds good, the two week wait is always horrendous so anything to take my mind off the stress of it all!!!

BeePositive Tue 18-Apr-17 13:34:15

I've got my ET tomorrow, and have been taking baby aspirin (75mg) since I started taking Progynova, as suggested by nurses at my clinic. And will continue post ET to encourage blood flow. I'm also devouring pineapple slices (with core) again. This is my second IVF, after fresh 1st round failed. I did the pineapple thing last time, but new to trying the baby aspirin. Here's hoping.

GlummyMummy Tue 18-Apr-17 17:38:13

That's interesting you were told to start the aspirin well before the ET. Do you think it's helped you this time get the lining nice and thick? I've had issues with poor lining on previous cycles

GlummyMummy Sun 23-Apr-17 20:14:07

Bee, how was your embryo transfer? I still haven't started my baby aspirin, Dr said to start it before ET but I'm a bit concerned it may cause bleeding at ET.

BeePositive Mon 24-Apr-17 09:36:20

My ET went well thanks glummymummy and I'm not one week into my 2ww.

My lining was similar if not a bit thicker than last round, so perhaps the baby aspirin has helped. I generally feel like I am a bit warmer also (I'm always freezing, with cold feet) so I'm hoping it's helped my overall circulation and FX extra blood flow in my uterus too.

I didn't have any bleeding at ET, and I would trust your Dr, as they will think about you and your specifics. But, if it's not something you're 'feeling' then don't do it wink.

When is your OTD?

GlummyMummy Mon 24-Apr-17 20:34:45

How thick did your lining get Bee? Fingers crossed for you, I've got my action scan on thursday so hoping lining is thick enough. Will definitely take the baby aspirin, it can only help.

eurochick Mon 24-Apr-17 20:47:01

I would try the laughter thing. On our 4th round we were told the embryo was very slow and the embryologist came and had a chat with us about trying donor eggs in future. I was devastated. But went straight from the clinic to a lovely carol concert with my friend and her children. I hugged her little girl on my lap and deafened her singing my heart out. It gave me a real deal good, heart lifted feeling. And that cycle worked. Not laughter but something that gave a nice warm fuzzy feeling in a similar way. Frankly doing something that makes you feel good inside when you are going through the shitness that is ivf has to be a good thing, whether or not it actually helps implantation.

Best of luck.

BeePositive Mon 24-Apr-17 20:51:50

My lining was 10mm first round & 12.5mm this time, glummymummy. Good luck for Thursdsys scan. Keep us posted.

BeePositive Mon 24-Apr-17 20:51:55

What a lovely story eurochic thanks for sharing & your positive spirit. It is so hard not to feel stressed & down & anxious throughout the process/es - I agree laughter & good vibes can only be good!

GlummyMummy Mon 24-Apr-17 21:55:53

Thanks Eurochick, it's easy to get hung up on supplements, dos and donts of IVF isn't it! Just shows you don't need to come home and lie in bed for it to work. Congratulations! 😃

That's a great lining Bee, wishing you all the best for your test date. Are you tempted to do an early test?

BeePositive Tue 25-Apr-17 09:20:03

I'm SO tempted to test early glummymummy as I've heard other ladies say they can test 9dp5dt, and I'm supposed to wait until 12dp5dt. So I might have a cheeky test on Friday instead of Sunday!?

Good luck with the aspirin ahead of Thursday.

GlummyMummy Wed 26-Apr-17 07:27:54

Thanks Bee!!! Good luck!

Started the baby aspirin on Monday , woke up this morning feeling really dizzy, had to go back to bed....not sure if it's related.

BeePositive Wed 26-Apr-17 09:25:26

Oh no, dizzy is not good but I don't think it's related glummymummy - but I'm no doctor. Can only compare to my experience, I had no side-effects, except I generally have been feeling warmer?! My feet and hands are less frozen than normal - I think I have bad circulation and hoping the aspririn has been helping with blood flow...

Good luck for tomorrow.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 27-Apr-17 22:04:53

honestly no there isnt

you can try scratch,glue,fresh core pineapple,protein rich diet, brazil nuts, 3boiled eggs a day,keeping feet warm as warm feet = warm embroyo, taking things easy, doing normal every day things

as some of the things ive read and worked for people

ivf is a hit or miss thing, it sticks/implants and works,or it doesnt

i tried all of the above with cycles 1-4 and all failed

5th we did nothing and worked- she is now 4 weeks old and my world

GlummyMummy Fri 28-Apr-17 07:13:47

Aw, congratulations Blondes! So pleased to hear you have a healthy baby girl 😃

There was one worrying about implantation and it's now looking like we may not even get to that stage. Lining is only 4mm after 9 days on highest dose hrt. Last cycle in January it was 8 mm after a weeks hrt so really wasn't expecting such a rubbish response this time. Only things I've done differently this time were no endometrial scratch and no acupuncture, not sure how much difference they would have made. And I've started baby aspirin , but I'm now worrying it might be thinning the lining rather than thickening it. Plus I'm feeling knackered and dizzy last couple of days so a bit despondent about the whole thing really.

How are you doing Bee, managing to resist testing early?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now