Talk

Advanced search

Success stories with lower grade day 5 blasts

(14 Posts)
Hope2409 Mon 10-Apr-17 18:12:33

I had my embryo transfer today, second round of ICSI.
Made it to day 5 and had 2 blasts, but they were both graded a grade C so the embryologist advised that given it was my second cycle and they werent great quality that i had them both put back.
I was a little shocked as im 32 and thought you could only have one put back if it got to day 5 blast but she said if it was better quality that would be the case but not if they are lower quality.

I'm just wondering what grades other people have had at day 5 and how many embryos you had transferred?
Did they implant? If you had 2 put back did they both stick, just one or none?

Xxx

Danaust Tue 11-Apr-17 07:27:57

Yes me! I had 2 average looking embryos put in at age 39 and now have 6 month old boy/girl twins! Didn't think one would take let alone 2.

Wishing you all the best-it only takes one.

Hope2409 Tue 11-Apr-17 16:05:34

Thank you danaust is lovely to hear when it works out, congratulations and gosh twins! That slightly terrifies me!!!

Had a call this morning and we have one to freeze too which is wonderful news, feels like all is not lost if this time doesnt work for us x

Danaust Wed 12-Apr-17 06:57:20

That's great news! Will keep my fingers crossed for you

Nan0second Wed 12-Apr-17 07:05:26

I am an infertile obstetrician and would not have two put back under any circumstances. Cumulative pregnancy rates are far better when one at a time is put back. There is some data from my local unit that has been published and showed a lower rate of pregnancy than expected when one blast was worse quality than the other.

Nan0second Wed 12-Apr-17 07:06:20

Sorry just re read and realise that my post is unhelpful. Good luck

ellesbellesxxx Wed 12-Apr-17 07:06:38

Ours weren't even graded as they were only early blastocysts so behind where they should be.. they put two back to give us 35% of it working (said 25% of twins but to be honest I thought it would be a miracle if it worked at all)... I am 30 weeks pregnant today with b/g twins and can't wait to meet them 😊

ellesbellesxxx Wed 12-Apr-17 07:06:53

Oh... and good luck!!!!!!!!

Nan0second Wed 12-Apr-17 07:06:57

I had one put back each time and second time (frozen) is now my toddler!

evilgiraffe Wed 12-Apr-17 07:28:29

We had seven day five blasts, all poor quality - if they ever told us their grading, I don't remember. They advised putting two back because they were so poor, despite me being 30 at the time. One implanted and is now 2 year old DD1. I wonder sometimes if she was the "best" blast - if we'd just had one put back, would it have been her or the one that failed. None of our other embryos were good enough to freeze.

This actually worked out well, as pregnancy and breastfeeding really helped my endometriosis, and we conceived DD2 naturally, accidentally, when DD1 had just turned a year old. Now we have all the children we have hoped for, and no painful decisions to make about frozen embryos, for which I am very grateful.

Good luck, OP, fingers crossed for you smile

numberseven Wed 12-Apr-17 07:39:28

One average 5 day blast transferred (FET from ICSI), now 24 weeks pregnant. Good luck!

Hope2409 Wed 12-Apr-17 16:58:42

Thank you everyone!
All my paperwork from my clinic Oxford says they only transfer one blast at a time when it is of good quality but will recommend 2 if they are poorer quality and you have had previous failed cycles.
They said there is a chance of multiples, i cant remember the % but that having 2 put back was our best chance of achieving a positive outcome.

ellesbelles congratulations on your twins thats great news, i really hope it goes well, not long to go!
The thought of twins really terrifies me and i almost chickened out and said just put one back but she said that would significantly lower our chance so i went with their advice! I would just be pleased if it worked!

nan0second, evilgiraffe and numberseven congratulations to you all too, so pleased it worked for you all!
Gives me hope!

Xxx

evilgiraffe Wed 12-Apr-17 20:56:02

Oh! We were at Oxford too (at least, egg collection and embryo transfer was) - that makes sense that we were both told the same thing then! I am sending positive thoughts your way smile

Hope2409 Wed 12-Apr-17 21:08:54

Thank you! Good to know they tell everyone the same thing then evilgiraffe and not just me smile
We had egg collection and embryo transfer done at Oxford too then scans/bloods etc... at satellite clinic! Hopefully thats a good sign!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now