Talk

Advanced search

High dose Folic Acid for IVF

(7 Posts)
GlummyMummy Mon 10-Apr-17 07:32:45

I've been recommended high dose Folic Acid for my next frozen embryo transfer as a way to aid implantation. Anyone else had this? Puzzled as to how it can help.

BeePositive Mon 10-Apr-17 14:15:18

No GlummyMummy, I've not heard this. In fact, my nurses recommended I lower my dose, as I found 1000mcg Folic Acid on Amazon, and thought that has to be better than the 400mcg that I was on. And they said no, to stick to the 400mcg. What are you currently on?

ellesbellesxxx Mon 10-Apr-17 14:18:27

I hadn't heard this either! I had to ensure I was taking it, along with vitamin d and these proxeed vit drinks but not at a high dose

JoJoSM2 Mon 10-Apr-17 17:29:00

Here's an interesting article

www.fertilitycenter.com/fertility_cares_blog/folate-supplements-increase-ivf-success/

Fleanne Mon 10-Apr-17 18:32:57

I was prescribed 5mg folic acid after my mmc last year. The consultant said it would help me conceive again but he didn't explain how (and I didn't think to ask!). My GP wouldn't prescribe any more when I ran out as he said there's no evidence that it helps fertility.
Asking around though I've been told that as it's water soluble your body will just pee out any excess so it shouldn't harm, but may help. Good luck with the embryo transfer x

GlummyMummy Mon 10-Apr-17 19:18:24

Thanks everyone. I'm currently on 400ug, Dr recommended 5mg a day. Didn't exactly say how it would help, so I'm a bit unsure whether or not to up the dose. I have low AMH but as this is a FET we are purely focussing on thickening the lining (HRT) and encouraging implantation.

Thanks for article link JoJo. 😃

GlummyMummy Tue 11-Apr-17 20:41:12

I'd also read it can increase risk of twins so not too sure it's a good idea to take more!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now