Talk

Advanced search

IVF day 3 or day 5 transfer

(9 Posts)
Hobbes39 Wed 05-Apr-17 11:48:03

Hi - just looking for some people's experiences of going to day 5 blasts - I'm driving myself mad today thinking of all possibilities, but basically to explain we have a 3.5 yr old DS - naturally conceived - and have struggled ttc #2 - had failed IVF last time and only got 2 embryos which were transferred on day 2, resulting in chemical pregnancy.
This time, we had 5 fertilise and we are going to day 3 (tomorrow) or the possibility of Day 5 has been mentioned if 4 or more make it to tomorrow and look good. While I'm delighted with this, I'm now worried that if in the unlikely event I do get told tomorrow that they could go to day 5, should I risk it? I'm scared shitless that if we do then I'll get to Saturday and have none left...
I think I'm partly worried as clearly quality was a bit of an issue last time and also I'm 40, so I'm worried my chances are lower - so would love to hear from anyone who has made the gamble to go to blast and how many of those you had at day 3 made it to day 5?
I realise this may all be irrelevant tomorrow but if I am asked about it, I want to feel more informed when I am!
Thanks x

CrazyButterfly1 Wed 05-Apr-17 11:57:45

Hiya, Sorry didn't want to read and run. I really don't know the answer as this is my first ICSI and I am not at this stage yet but I am sure those who have will respond.

I would have thought that the embryologist would have a better indication? If not, I can completely understand your worry and concern and it is something I also probably would've asked too!

Best of luck with whatever you decide xx

Annab1983 Wed 05-Apr-17 15:38:15

Hi I had 5 fertilised and on day 3 all were doing well so the embryologist recommended we hold off until day 5, I think the embryologist is the expert so would only recommend holding off if they were confident of most of them going to day 5. on day 5 they transferred the best one and the next day one was suitable for freezing.. I was a bit upset about he others but then figured they probably wouldn't have made it anyway..I just put myself in the medical professionals hands!

Blueroses99 Thu 06-Apr-17 09:12:01

Hi Hobbes, good luck with this cycle.

My first cycle I had 3 potentials on day 3, so was advised to wait to day 5 and had no blasts. At the time I wished I had just popped them in on day 3 anyway but they wouldn't have stuck (the best 2 on day 3 had failed by day 5) and we actually got lots of valuable information about the quality of the embryos and eggs and sperm. Which helped cycles 2 and 3, both BFPs.

Second cycle, I think I had 2 or 3 strong ones at day 3, of which 2 were blastocysts at day 5.

Third cycle, I had 4 strong on day 2 and one blast on day 5.

I followed the embryologists advice each time. There is obviously a risk that there will be none by day 5, as I found first time, but it wouldn't have stuck if transferred on day 3 either. So you're not ruining your chances by holding out.

Hobbes39 Thu 06-Apr-17 14:54:02

Hi Blue! Good to hear from you - how are you doing?
In the end, the decision was made for us, slightly surprisingly, as I was called this morning to say I was booked to come in for transfer today. They didn't tell me over the phone anything about numbers or anything, so was surprised when we got there to hear that all 5 were still going, however there were 2 clearly better than the others so the recommended we have those 2 put back. Despite having 2 put back last time I really struggled with it this time, as this time they were better quality (last time they were relative poor quality) and so the risk of twins is higher... but ultimately we went with the recommendation of the embryologist and had them both put back in. I'm now terrified that if we are successful it will be twins and there will be complications, but I guess we will cross that bridge when we come to it! The other 3 they will culture on but they said they didn't think they'd make it to day 5... thanks for your advice - I'm in w minds if we have done the right thing with the 2 going back, but I hope so! 🤞

Amara123 Thu 06-Apr-17 16:31:46

Hi Hobbes.

I had the same situation myself this week. My embryologist said that seeing as there was two clear leaders and given my age and previous negative cycle/fets it was a case of better both in than out. Especially as the threshold for freeze quality is so high at day 5- they might not have made it.
I think it's useful to go to day 5 if you have lots of similar quality embryos but if there is a small number at day 3 then it's probably not that helpful and you may as well transfer what you got.

Hobbes39 Thu 06-Apr-17 16:48:37

Hi amaranth - thanks for your reply - when did you have your transfer? How are you doing? Reassuring to know it's not just me who's in this situation. How many times have you done this before? Fingers crossed this is the time for us both! X

Hobbes39 Thu 06-Apr-17 16:49:14

No idea why my phone autocorrected amara to amaranth!!🙄

Amara123 Thu 06-Apr-17 17:14:53

Hi Hobbes

One fresh, two frozen. This is my second fresh and I really hope it works this time. Best of luck to you too!
I'm 3dp3dt- had my transfer on Monday. Felt a bit ohssy yesterday and am wearing a lot of scarves to hide my truck driver belly! Feeling better today and thinking of going back to work tomorrow.
How long are you taking off?.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now