Talk

Advanced search

Earliest/latest accurate tests after IVF

(11 Posts)
Wanda354 Tue 04-Apr-17 16:25:05

DP and I are on our first cycle of IVF. I am confused by differing advice about when to test and looking to poll the collective wisdom of Mumsnet. How many days post transfer were you told to test? Did you test early and get a BFN which later became a BFP? Or did you wait till official test date? If so, is it still possible to get a BFN even if you're pregnant?

I had a single 5 day transfer on 26 March so today is 9dpt (days post transfer). Clinic does not do beta blood testing and told us to test with HPT at14dpt. But while we were at the clinic for egg collection, I heard a different nurse telling another patient who had just had a 5 day transfer to test at 12dpt. On the internet I've found plenty of threads where people have been given test dates calculated from EC rather than ET, and similarly there seem to be lots of threads where people are testing as early as 5dpt or 6dpt and getting BFNs.

Called clinic again today to clarify and they again said test at 14dpt.

broodynmoody Tue 04-Apr-17 17:04:27

Hello Wander.
I too have been looking this up lately and the Internet says different things. Some people are testing as early as 5 after the transfer. When the time comes I would wait til at least 11dpt. I know people have got strong positives at 9 dpt but me personally it's just not worth the disappointment seeing that negative test. The earlier the test,the less accurate the result. Implantation can take 7-12 days so you could have a late implanter, then if you were take an esrly test it may result in a false negative.
For the sake of a few days,I would rather get that strong positive or even a strong negative so I would know for definite but that's just me smile

Chattycat78 Tue 04-Apr-17 17:52:39

I waited til test day- which was 15 days after a 3 day transfer. I might have got a positive before then but tbh I was so sure it had failed that I didn't want to find out!

ellesbellesxxx Tue 04-Apr-17 18:11:37

Wow that does sound really late!
Oxford say 11 days after 5dt, so 16d past EC.
Good luck! X

Wanda354 Tue 04-Apr-17 18:52:57

Thanks for your replies. Did any of you get BFPs? Am keen to hear some good news stories!

ellesbellesxxx Tue 04-Apr-17 19:09:53

Yes.. 11 days after 5dt. Was strong but expecting twins so that's prob why.
Like others have said, do try and hold out.. keeping everything x

Wanda354 Tue 04-Apr-17 19:29:46

Nice to hear a positive story, thanks ellesbelles. Am going to try to wait till weekend.

Annab1983 Tue 04-Apr-17 19:53:05

Hi Wanda I had 5dt the same day as you and clinic told me to test this Friday, so 12 days past transfer.. They did warn it might be a faint line (if any) on their tests so I bought some first response tests myself too as they are more sensitive

Chattycat78 Tue 04-Apr-17 20:06:17

I got a bfp too. He is now a 2 year old whirlwind!

JoJoSM2 Tue 04-Apr-17 20:46:06

I think it depends on the levels of hormones in your sample. Some women get a bfp a lot earlier than others. If you test early it might be less accurate than waiting a little longer.

Blueroses99 Wed 05-Apr-17 08:01:32

My clinic determines OTD as EC+16 days. First BFP I tested on OTD (11dp5dt).
Second BFP I tested 2 days before OTD (9dp5dt) and I got faint lines getting stronger every day until OTD.
My clinic gave me a ClearBlue digital to test, which I believe requires higher HCG levels than FRERs so perhaps that's why they say 16 days.
I personally didn't want the disappointment of seeing a negative test and not knowing if it was actually negative or just too early. Others on here I know POAS more frequently so just do what's right for you.

Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now